Should I Publish Myself?

luka

what do you think the best way of getting a book circulating is? in this day and age.
when its not mass market stuff exactly.
http://miracleinvasion.blogspot.com/
this sort of thing.
i got the thing done. i just need people to read it. right now. not in 2 years.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I just think press it up yourself and send it to some poetry zines and do your thing. There's such an anti-self publish thing in literature, and it's always pissed me off. It's so publishers controlling, so classist. If Firbank could self-publish and still be heard of now then anyone can, I say DIY, fucking punk rock.

Self-publish and then shoot someone really famous, I suggest David Bowie.

That Margate Rising thing is amazing btw, I was there yesterday, and it is.

luka

yeah, i've always been made to feel its somehow shameful. but you look at music and its often the best way to go about things. wu-tang pressed up protect your neck by themselves to give one example out of a a hundred million.
i did sign a contract with zer0, like every other sei-literate blogger, but if theres a better way then im sure they wont mind.
im glad you like margate rising.

polystyle

Probably never been a better time to self publish.
But later this fall might be a good time for it, after your first 'title' gets out there ,
and around ...
Obv. getting press, reviews and those things are another issue, lots of effort
but probably not so different from getting gigs and music stuff ...

luka

yeah and i got people i can ask for advice. i'm leaning this way....
it'll give me the control i need over the material and i suspect i'll sell more cos i can hustle it myself and i don't have to have this blurb attatched

'Contemporary culture has eliminated both the concept of the public and the figure of the intellectual. Former public spaces – both physical and cultural – are now either derelict or colonized by advertising. A cretinous anti-intellectualism presides, cheerled by expensively educated hacks in the pay of multinational corporations who reassure their bored readers that there is no need to rouse themselves from their interpassive stupor. The informal censorship internalized and propagated by the cultural workers of late capitalism generates a banal conformity that the propaganda chiefs of Stalinism could only ever have dreamt of imposing. Zer0 Books knows that another kind of discourse – intellectual without being academic, popular without being populist – is not only possible: it is already flourishing, in the regions beyond the striplit malls of so-called mass media and the neurotically bureaucratic halls of the academy. Zer0 is committed to the idea of publishing as a making public of the intellectual. It is convinced that in the unthinking, blandly consensual culture in which we live, critical and engaged theoretical reflection is more important than ever before.'

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Yes - go ahead. As has been mentioned the DIY ethic in music is accepted (and praised) but self-publishing still seems to have the stigma of 'failure' attached to it...as if to self-publish is to somehow admit 'defeat' or to want to 'cheat' somehow. Defeat, that is, in storming the fortress held by the few big publishing houses and guarded by editors. Well, why not turn your back on that fortress and build your own? It might not look as impressive (professional) or get the attention, but it'll be yours....something that They didn't need to sanction.

Book-making machines are available now, so why not use them as we used to use the Zerox for fanzines? I'm all for it...destroying the mystique of getting a book published. So some people won't get it - fuck 'em! The same people didn't 'get' 'zines because they weren't glossy, properly bound or available in WH Smiths.

I'm working on mine now and have opted for complete control over the layout - fool! - well, it makes for a lot more work but it's a new challenge. I would have found it hard to describe what I wanted anyway. I'm looking at it as a singular 'work of art' (!) rather that something that must be produced in thousands. If a few other people buy it and like it, great.

I just got sick of thinking I had to suck up to some twat and their slush pile attitude.

Like the look of your work, by the way. Not had time to read it properly yet, though. Do it.

craner

Beast of Burden
I don't think you should. Only cranks self-publish. You don't want to look like a crank. You'll be one of those people who walk into bookshops with their life's work in a plastic bag, trying to sell to unsuspecting and sometimes dim booksellers. Of course, I always used to buy books off cranks who walked in off the street, but then I worked in an enormous independent bookshop and I had my own budget. Don't do it. Try New Directions - they don't care about grammar at all!

john eden

male pale and stale
I think it's worth looking at lulu.com

A friend of mine has published his novel on there and uses copies to give to friends for comments. You could consider it like a "demo tape" in music.

My understanding is that it is nigh on impossible to get published without an agent these days. So you could hawk around a limited edition to agents and others and see how you get on.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i think you should publish your work posthumously
that is my aspiration---to have expired and have a stack of papers found under my bed
published by loved ones
hated by the public but cherished by a few

they call it "vanity press" for a reason, i think
i know a few people who have done it

not very populist, i know
but yeah, that thing about tending rabbits

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
if you DO decide to publish yourself
at least have someone edit for you
it helps to have a second pair of eyes to check on spelling, kerning, and so on

i've done as much for a gentleman who wrote this 7 or 800 page travel journal thing; i cut that thing in half. he was a little stunned but i think it did him good. who the hell is going to read a non-entity's near-thousand page mutterings? only an editor!

Yeah, do it. I don't know why there's such a stigma attached to it in literature.

Definitely build a relationship with an editor. I think that's crucial.

PR & distribution is where you'll meet difficulties. Particularly the latter. But whatever, I wouldn't compromise on control over all aspects of the output.

If you want to create a good artefact, also look to bring a designer in.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
there's a huuuuuuuge self-published mystery novel popular in the philadelphia area right now on account of a billboard along a major highway

it is a phenomenon! i don't want to plug the book and add to the hysteria so i will leave out the title if you don't mind.

so yeah, get a huge fucking billboard!

luka

craner you realise i will never forgive you for giving up writing.
you and cath are the only people that ever roused my competitive instincts. i know you don't have much imagination. but you could have done something.
im bitter about that for the rest of my life.