Climate Camp?

sufi

lala
nobody fancy it?

i like the setup more than the cause,
that's to say the semi-spontaneous leaderless TAZ, establishing a small set of 'facts on the ground' that challenges established hierarchical ways of doing things, a sort of social xperiment. that appeals to me more than the enviro-mission.

http://climatecamp.org.uk/actions/london-2009/programme

i may pop down tomoro

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I feel duty bound to go down at some point just cos they've been so cool about putting it up, all that "we're not going to tell you what we're doing cos we don't trust you" to the police, plus the setting given the Peasants Revolt echoes is a great choice, I wasn't expecting that. I got a job on at the moment so hella busy but will try and pop down tomorrow or Tuesday.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I went down, it was very very pleasant, together, chilled, kinda boring but I was in the daytime. Good work I think, kinda very impressed with the way they were selling what they were doing to the Blackheath middle classes, it felt like a big propaganda exercise executed brilliantly.

sufi

lala
yeah, my experience too, very mellloooow indeeed.... sunny, quiet, in a big park on top of a hill, not even that many people and no filthy filth to be seen (total contrast from the carnival)

i like the idea of training up activists and spreading the skills and techniques - very practical, and being non-confrontational is a good strategy too, it seems like they've persevered after the violence of g20 and harassment of kingsnorth, and now they've got a space to do actual non-volent protest

they were about to march on the daily mail for calling them bourgeoisie which tickled me a bit - i guess that's some sort of class war :slanted:

sufi

lala
some thoughtful critique:
Damian Abbot at Mute said:
The State Climate Camp's In

Having chosen the conspicuously tranquil site of Blackheath for Climate Camp 2009, attention shifted from the politics of land occupation to the camp’s panic-fuelled green authoritarianism. Report by Damian Abbott

toilets_scaled.jpg

Image: Poverty of ambition begins with a poverty of plumbing

http://www.metamute.org/en/content/the_state_climate_camp_s_in