KRS-ONE publishes new book

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/sep/01/krs-one-gospel-hip-hop

I so wish I didn't find everything he says risible. BDP are legendary...why does he have to come across as such a bullshit-peddling buffoon?

Mind you, I've often had this problem with major hip-hop stars....as lyricists, they come across eloquently, but in the context of interviews etc, I cringe at the constant repetition of cliche. It's like seeing footballers interviewed, to be honest. Obviously there are exceptions...

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
biblekrs.jpg

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I believe! So how's the Temple of Hip Hop coming along, some 10 years later?

Oh.

Lol, I joined up to that, got one email ever that was written so similarly to spam I nearly deleted it before I realised it was the Gospel. I once stood up in front of an audience of 300 at the NFT and said 'hi, my name's James and I am hiphop". I was rather proud of that.

I kinda like it and him, I'd rather my old rappers went all doolally and made weird cults rather than, y'know, talk to me about their crib. I think I might ask my library to order it.

CrowleyHead

Saw him live w/ Flying Lotus recently. He was lost somewhat, but still did a pretty good job of trying to freestyle over the beats. It was really nice...

Then he went and informed us all that Barrack Obama was a part of the N.W.O. and what not.

Didn't help that FlyLo had a blatant "Obama: Hope" sticker on his laptop...

crackerjack

Yeah, I'm with nomad and Sloane here. KRS was my first hip hop hero - more than Chuck, Rakim, or any of the NTs - so he can do whatever he damn well likes.

CrowleyHead

Did anyone get that Wu-tang Manual that came out a year back?

Believe me when I say, DON'T. The Rza should not be telling ANYONE about how to live their lives.

And I'm going to show my age here... But Wu-Tang were my childhood heroes... And by childhood heroes, I mean, literally, my preschool days involved my father playing 36 Chambers. They're certainly more awesome than any comic book.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
And I'm going to show my age here... But Wu-Tang were my childhood heroes... And by childhood heroes, I mean, literally, my preschool days involved my father playing 36 Chambers. They're certainly more awesome than any comic book.

that means you're er...pretty young!

john eden

male pale and stale
Believe me when I say, DON'T. The Rza should not be telling ANYONE about how to live their lives.

blimey what an odd start in life!

yeah I didn't get it because I knew I would be disappointed - a great example I think of a group who managed to create an incredible mythology through sound but who should really have left it like that.

Still holding out for Skiz Fernando's book on 33.3 about 36 chambers tho, I reckon he can do it justice.

CrowleyHead

blimey what an odd start in life!

yeah I didn't get it because I knew I would be disappointed - a great example I think of a group who managed to create an incredible mythology through sound but who should really have left it like that.

Still holding out for Skiz Fernando's book on 33.3 about 36 chambers tho, I reckon he can do it justice.

The mythology is so grand. I mean, Wu-Tang set them selves up to be some sort of almost experience beyond music...

A big example of their irrelevance to their own mystique is the Joe Budden fiasco. First Meth refused to battle him because 'he's not a battle rapper'. Whatever happened to you guys dueling through "Liquid Swords" or "Meth vs. Chef"? Then, Raekwon actually just shows up with goons to punch him out and force an apology? For what? For challenging another MC?

There's a lot of 90's MCs/rappers who really have grown into spoiled brats. It's kinda disgusting. You don't see KRS-One running up on Nelly over Nelly dissing him. Instead, it's a battle, diss tracks, etc. etc. Not 'seeing him' 'in the streets' 'with your mans'.

I am actually really interested in a 33.3 on 36 Chambers. Have any other hip-hop albums been given that treatment? I know they did Shadow (which technically works), and I think they did "Nation Of Millions..."

crackerjack

There's a lot of 90's MCs/rappers who really have grown into spoiled brats. It's kinda disgusting. You don't see KRS-One running up on Nelly over Nelly dissing him. Instead, it's a battle, diss tracks, etc. etc. Not 'seeing him' 'in the streets' 'with your mans'.

PM Dawn?

CrowleyHead

... Lol. Wow, I had that one coming.

I'm saying though, New-School dudes (The 86-92 crowd) and the modern dudes (92-98) are like, two different worlds. That later-era have no problem sticking around on labels and taking up too much time and marketing. It's different if you're say a Nas, where you have an obvious success. But some of these more substantial and tenuous rappers keep clinging on like rats. It's obnoxious.

After all, these are the same guys who cry about not getting respect from the younger generation... and then jump on "Turn My Swag On" Remixes.

mms

sometimes
nah wu tang are excellent, excellent mcs good music, their mythology is just an extension of 5 percenter cyphers imho.
krs on the other hand hasn't really done much good stuff for years and the only time he creeps up is when he says something fucking stupid, all this conspiracy theory stuff he's into now is really grasping at straws, obama is part of the new world order and all that.
yes from criminal minded to ghetto music blueprint of hip hop he was untouchable but that's 20 years ago now.
pm dawn did krs one a favour by shagging miss melody.

Last edited: