Archive of pre-2000 Pitchfork reviews?

sharpless

So I'm currently working on an article about Pitchfork, and I'm running into a big problem: when the site decided to expand its editorial scope beyond indie rock in the early 2000s, they covered a lot of their tracks: they changed their "best of the 90s" list and deleted the original, and also removed a ton of reviews from before 2000 from the site. If I can't find these, it's going to be awfully difficult to paint an accurate picture.

Does anyone have any leads on where I might be able to find an archive of those reviews? I've found some things here and there on various blogs, but if anyone has a folder of copy-and-pasted word documents on their computer I would send that person presents.

Rich

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
apparently there used to be some picturesof schreiber (the editor) looking like a spazz with a pot belly and dyed red hair in their cache..... and a review that bordered on racist by him too...

i saw the pic , was very lol...wishi had saved it ! scummers

computer_rock

Don't forget to include a bit about Brent DiCrescenzo's seminal review of Kid A, aka the gayest thing you will ever read in your life.

don_quixote

Trent End
oh my god this is a goldmine
I was driving across rural western Kentucky on the night of December 23rd when the moon reached maximum glow, like that third lamp click, for the first time in over a century. For three hours I allowed the unusual glow, the rolling landscape, and 69 Love Songs to anaesthetize me

don_quixote

Trent End
When I bought this album the other day, wearing my Pixies shirt by coincidence (I swear!), the shave-headed girl behind the counter said, "Nice shirt. I love the Pixies." I told her that I already owned all these songs, but just had to buy the album, anyway. "Oh, really," she said cautiously, as though there were something pathetic about that. "Maybe there is," I later thought to myself. But then I looked at my tattered Pixies shirt, so beaten and worn it was practically falling off my body, and I thought otherwise.

it's like a blue jam sketch.

don_quixote

Trent End
sorry for spamming but:

It seems so long since, ages since. As if you had been long far away. Afartodays, afeartonights, and me as with you in thadark. You will tell me sometime if I can believe its all. You know where I am bringing you? You remember?

--James Joyce, Finnegans Wake

Joyce responded ingenuously to gripes that his final Work in Progress-- a 600-page circular novel written in a punning alchemy of thirty languages, the history of civilization recapitulated through the perennial domestic strife of a single family, executed as the stream-of-unconsciousness tidal wash of a single man's dream in a single night's sleep-- was incomprehensible:

"Its natural things should not be so clear at night, isn't it now?"

Musings on Joyce and Finnegans Wake have accompanied my reception of Radiohead's Kid A since I first made out the line, "I float down the Liffey" in "How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found."

wow.

sharpless

thanks but . . .

Yeah other people had suggested the wayback machine, but that only goes back so far as 1999, which is where the reviews that have been archived on the site stop as well. What I need is anything from before 1998.

Thanks for the suggestions though. And as for the Ryan Schrieber pseudo-racist review, it's Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard, written in the voice of an old black man who was there. Um . . . .

tom pr

Thanks for the suggestions though. And as for the Ryan Schrieber pseudo-racist review, it's Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard, written in the voice of an old black man who was there. Um . . . .
er, WOW.

rateyourmusic dot com has the old albums of the 90s list btw.

Papercut

cut to the bone
@don q

those quotes are a real find. my eyes bugged out to the size of saucers reading them.

criminal stuff.

*edit* just read the Schreiber-Coltrane review. Speechless.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Hahaha

The fact that these writers read these gems back to themselves before publishing them and thought "well, at least I don't look like a complete arsehole" is enough to send anyone into a spiral of serious cartesian doubt.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
"When I bought this album the other day, wearing my Pixies shirt by coincidence (I swear!), the shave-headed girl behind the counter said, "Nice shirt. I love the Pixies." I told her that I already owned all these songs, but just had to buy the album, anyway. "Oh, really," she said cautiously, as though there were something pathetic about that. "Maybe there is," I later thought to myself. But then I looked at my tattered Pixies shirt, so beaten and worn it was practically falling off my body, and I thought otherwise. "

it's like a blue jam sketch.

Don where is this one from? This is so incredible. It's almost like they are saving you the trouble of making fun of them by doing it themselves in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind, googled it.