anyone into trying to sort out a one-off reggae/ragga night with film screenings?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i think this would be a nice idea if we can find the right venue. i really want to check out matt b's blackstar vs youthman sound dvd and i know a few of us have some good vids (filthy dancehall queen dvds not necessarily excluded, either) and would like to do something with music, too. if it works could become regular. i know that myself, john, paul, xiquet and gdw could do a shitkicking good night anyway - who's in and any suggestions as to where?

gdw

sounds like a plan to me...an hour's film screening and then a few hours of music would make for a nice evening.

my vote for films to show would go to 'babylon' - would love to see it on a big screen.

one place that springs to mind would be cherry jam - i've been to film screening / music things there in the past so i assume they have their own projector / screen etc. and it's in west london but easy enough to get to from north / east on the hammersmith and city.

john eden

male pale and stale
count me in for sure!

Not sure about venues, but will have a root around... might be able to sort projector and not massive but ok screen though...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Hmmmm. This could potentially be a VERY good idea.

At first blush I think the key is to find a venue that supports both music and film and gets the "almost middle aged" massive out and about. That sounds like the ICA (err, is Doctor Beck in the house?) or maybe South Bank.

Then again these sorts of venues aren't smoke friendly.

So we could do the really obvious thing and get the Rhythm Factory. In its favour: great small venue for music; used to putting on mixed film / music nights there; reasonably smoke-friendly; easy to deal with; Dissensus people and related scenes find ti easy to meet up there.

Against: it's the only place in London I ever fucking go to :).

stelfox

Beast of Burden
I'd really like to do this.
could be a lot of fun and the more good reggae-oriented nights we get on in london the better, as far as i'm concerned.
maybe i could even persuade mr mccann to get his records out, if i nag him enough.
jam as in cherry jam, gervase?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
if you do this on a weekend, even i might venture out in london. i may let you look at me dvds

dave- there's plenty of lingering shots of whining/ grinding female arses on the blackstar one, so best of both worlds for you ;).

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Maybe get Mcann to do a video of his records -- then we could show that as part of the do.

:)

Is that Gervase as in Scandalbag? If so, big up fella! Don't you do your stuff at Rhythm Factory...

gdw

yeah we do a monthly at rhythm factory and i think they would be up for it, space in their diary allowing...

i still like cherry jam though as it's small. and fairly comfortable for watching films.

loving the 80s mix by the way paul. it's big! some real gems on there and sweetly mixed too. gotta love the sirens and space invader fx. and how much does asher senator sound like smiley culture?

gabriel

The Heatwave
sounds great. i'm there. as is my vhs of supercat, jr demus & nicodemus alongside stone love & addies in new york in 1991, probably the best film of mcing in any genre that i've ever seen

stelfox

Beast of Burden
okay, let's do this...
might be nice to find a small place with two rooms.
then again, i do quite like cherry jam and it will be a rare reason to drag my lazy fat arse out of east london for a change...

i'm proposing we scope out a likely venue, do the whole thing as a cooperative, charge a small amount on the door and we might even see some cab money/a few drinks out of it, plus it will be fun. i'll gladly invest in a case or two of dragon stout for the inaugural night.

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
gdw said:
yeah we do a monthly at rhythm factory and i think they would be up for it, space in their diary allowing...
They seem like good people.

gdw said:
i still like cherry jam though as it's small. and fairly comfortable for watching films.
I don't know it -- Bayswater is it?

gdw said:
loving the 80s mix by the way paul. it's big! some real gems on there and sweetly mixed too. gotta love the sirens and space invader fx. and how much does asher senator sound like smiley culture?
Glad you like it fella. Lotta timestretching on the sirens to get them to fit the grooves.

Difference between Asher Senator and Smiley Culture: at the start of Senator in Court, when he does the "a-Senator, a-Senator, a-Senator A-sher" bit... it's great, but you can tell he doesn't have that overwhelming mechanoid flow that SMiley Culture has. Glorious.

Still owe you a CD of tunes... busy with babies and dancehall mixes !!

mms

sometimes
up for this, i can sort out a projector and screen.

i will dig around for some venues.

i'm sorting out a monthly night at a soho based cocktail bar at the mo, dancehall, hiphop,everything else goings on .

lovely cocktails,it's a bit like the place on eastenders

stelfox

Beast of Burden
that would be wicked, dude. ideally i'd like it to be somehwhere small but able to pack em in if it did get busy, preferably easy to get to and so quite central. good cocktails = big bonus.

mms

sometimes
its almost ready, got to get dates sorted out and all that but i wanted to mention it cos i want to get people down there to play if they want.
its a nice place, usually its members only.
it'll be thurs nights and once a month.
i will catch up with whats going on later after yoga. ;)

run_time

has anyone ever checked out the Rock n Roll Cinema thing at 93fte on Brick Lane...would imagine the many hall might be too vast for what you want but the upstairs area might be appropriate

Poet for Hire

fuck east london

do it in south london
in brixton at 3rd base
amazing sound system, nice low key venue
big walls for projections
free of east london/brick lane/whitechapel/shoreditch twats

gabriel

The Heatwave
have somewhere interested in doing this on a sunday night late april on kingsland road. more later...

gabriel

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i'd really like plastic people coz it has the best sound in town. not quite sure where you's screen stuff other than on one of the the main walls, but i could deal with that. i'd like a good venue, coz it would be nice to do it somewhere on the map, as it were.