zhao

there are no accidents
between music which makes you dance,

and music which makes you want to dance.

death to the first and long live the second.

Client Eastwood

There's a dance where you are lost in the rhythm V a dance where where the rhythm is lost in you. I think I know what you mean can you (or anyone) post an example Zhao ? I try to think of something . . .

crackerjack

between music which makes you dance,

and music which makes you want to dance.

death to the first and long live the second.

save us from people who like the idea of dancing but are too cool to actually risk ridicule by doing so ;)

muser

Ive thought this before, most enjoyment you can get from something that makes you dance is superficial and subconciously you know is going to be gone very quickly. I'd say songs that make you dance tend to have a shelf life (for the individual or the scene in general) of about a month at the very most, so no need to proclaim death really.. music that makes you want to dance is timeless.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
There's a dance where you are lost in the rhythm V a dance where where the rhythm is lost in you.

Ive thought this before, most enjoyment you can get from something that makes you dance is superficial and subconciously you know is going to be gone very quickly. I'd say songs that make you dance tend to have a shelf life (for the individual or the scene in general) of about a month at the very most, so no need to proclaim death really.. music that makes you want to dance is timeless.

yeah. hard 4x4 makes you dance, 2step woos every cell in your body nicely...

of course dissensus heads get it. if i posted this on the hollerboard they'd be like "what?? pretentious!!"

but there is another distinction to make before this: the one between thrilling and effective reductionism and formulaic physicality.

so many clubs and djs, seems to me, are content with formulaic elements which trigger pavlovian responses in the dancers, who go through the proper motions.

few wants to challenge the status quo which (merely) works, and step up the game and make clubbing a truly unforgettable musical and otherwise experience.

Last edited:
It is pretentious, doesn't matter how you phrase it, quote elitist too. "death to music I don't agree with".

DJ PIMP

yah whatever if people are dancing they're dancing

some do it for love
some do it for money

its all dancing

muser

It is pretentious, doesn't matter how you phrase it, quote elitist too. "death to music I don't agree with".

^considering the threshold for pretentiousness on dissensus this idea is fairly tame imo.

I reckon both types can serve a purpose, just one of them the enjoyment of it doesn't tend to last very long. Its not elititst untill someone puts up their subjective examples.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
dunno about that - more like geeks coming up with fancy reasons for why they don't like dancing

there are people around here who have witnessed my high energy and prolonged dance floor action.

and i don't know where the fuck you getting any kind of anti-dancing stance out of this thread: are you stupid in the face?

zhao

there are no accidents

nah. i'm all for dropping those big, banging, hard tunes, but just not all night, and not at 10PM -- at a time when they feel right, after the energy has been built and the crowd is ready for it: for instance after an hour of soulful poly-rhythmic patterns, you drop some heavy detroit underground, the place will go fucking apeshit.

only thing i'm against is lowest common denominator laziness.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
only thing i'm against is lowest common denominator laziness.

I just think it's that you don't understand it. I mean, I don't either, don't get me wrong, but it's just that I don't get it. I was listening to some bloke headlining Creamfields on radio one this weekend, and the crowd were just going apeshit, and it left me feeling totally isolated, but that's what I feel in crowds, and what I've felt at those big banging events when I've been to them. Some people love being in them, relentlessly.

zhao

there are no accidents
I just think it's that you don't understand it. I mean, I don't either, don't get me wrong, but it's just that I don't get it. I was listening to some bloke headlining Creamfields on radio one this weekend, and the crowd were just going apeshit, and it left me feeling totally isolated, but that's what I feel in crowds, and what I've felt at those big banging events when I've been to them. Some people love being in them, relentlessly.

know what you mean completely but don't think this is the case at all.

does a chef or someone who knows good food understand McDonalds? how it works and why its immensely popular? yes.

call me ellitist or whatever, but i think a much better meal can be served for the same price or even cheaper.