too old be influenced by me

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
It's like the James Joyce (20 years old) to Yeats (37) remark: "We have met too late; you are too old be influenced by me."

Off a topic in the hiphop thread about old timers hogging the genre, who out there is killing it and annoyingly young? Any genre.

People like Kyle Hall, Joy Orbison, Pink Dollaz, etc.

I remember an off-shoot label of DHR back in the day that was called Riot21 or something. Only artists 21 or under were allowed on the label. Can't find any info on it now but it was an interesting concept.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
How old is Joker? TOO fucking young to be that accomplished, that's all I know. Bastard.

Isn't Sully 19 or something? Maybe I'm mistaken though.

On the flipside, Scott Walker. No-one should be in their mid-60s and still be (in adventurousness, at least) on an arguable upward artistic curve (already on a curve from utter greatness)

Last edited:

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I think the DHR label was called something like <20.
Anyway, RAMADANMAN.
And aren't most of the Juke guys still in their teens?

swears

preppy-kei
I always think it's weird that anyone under 25 gets loads of kudos for making a good record, as if it's surprising. Loads of "canonical" acts like The British invasion groups, most of the first wave punks, Prince, the early Detroit techno guys, etc, etc, made classic records when they were young. I think part of it is the fact that you don't know what the "right" way is to make music yet, you just get stuck in.

Human beings are really only supposed to live to be about 30 anyway, before your tribe leaves you out in the woods for the sabre-tooth tigers. I certainly feel middle-aged at 26.

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
All of the band members of The xx are not older than 20. Quite impressive, considering the originality and dinstinctiveness of their (self-produced) debut album. They are pretty much the only current "indie" band I like.

Oh, and then there's Khonnor who was, I believe, 17 when he released "Handwriting" on Type which, in my opinion, is one of the best albums of the decade.

By the way, how old is Zomby?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Beirut was only about 18/19 when he made his first record, which I thought was impressive given how good the record sounds.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
p_whjp2_crop.jpg

Kate Bush? (not exactly current though)

"Despite her aversion to school, a youthful interest in English literature and writing also made itself apparent at this time; by the age of 13 she had already come up with the basis of what would eventually become her second top 10 single The Man With The Child In His Eyes. "

http://www.nndb.com/people/504/000025429/[