Euphoria and Drama in dance music

mms

sometimes
This is a series of rambling half baked questions really,
the idea Euphoria in dance music seems to be an increasingly retroactive, for example thinking of that joy orbison track, the euphoria which is the key great thing in that track is made of things that were euphoric 20 years ago in dance music, and from his interviews, he seems genuinley nostalgic for that, and that's ok with most people, which seems slightly strange to me, in one sense, as what constitutes this feeling might have changed but it hasn't really.

But i'm just thinking what does euphoria mean in dance music now, should it be as easy to come by as nostalgia, what are the other physical things that make up euphoria and drama that work, the whole blog house/ wobble midrange bassline thing seems interesting but is it genuinely euphoric?
there is definitely another feeling there to me, a real sense of pulverisation, that reminds me of steve albini's quote about his desire to crush the audience or something like that with big black.

I'm writing this after a session with headphones and a Bernard Parmegiani box set, and i'm just thinking what an amazing guy he was cos he created so much abstract drama, a real sense of things happening in 3d too, his 'noise' has a kind of under the skin digital prickliness at times to it that's totally euphoric, but it's also a really close call between euphoria and anxiety.

another thing is: I've also been thinking about minimal techno too, it failed for me cos it was too polite and well scrubbed, too many reflective surfaces, but it had so many interesting ideas in it that could have worked into new experiments in euphoria, the clusters of sound, the weird unexpected rhythm drop ins, a 3d-ness, the wormhole drop outs and atonal melodies, the whole digital pallette, that didn't need to get into the whole warm analogue stabs/ diva wails vibe, it was quite fearless like that, but it kinda failed cos it wasn't bold enough, too insular, too hermetic, no groove, maybe too far away from whar makes a track hooky, maybe it was also ketamines fault too? Maybe 92-6 was dance musics 60's, eternally returning with less yield as the distance in time extends.

I know its alot and its kinda rambling but any thoughts?

Last edited:

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
For me euphoria on the dancefloor is all about blissful melodies and a warm noise ambiance. Music with a spacey, transcendent feel and a certain melodic intricacy that appeals to the upper part of your body and makes your fingertips dance. At the same time, dark brutal no-nonsense Berghain-kind industrial techno has an overpowering hypnotic effect on me. Being assaulted by that sound for me is some kind of ultimate regression back to the darkness and warmth and zero gravity of the womb where I'm just listening to my mother's heartbeat and kicking around like a happy unconscious embryo.

mms

sometimes
For me euphoria on the dancefloor is all about blissful melodies and a warm noise ambiance. Music with a spacey, transcendent feel and a certain melodic intricacy that appeals to the upper part of your body and makes your fingertips dance. At the same time, dark brutal no-nonsense Berghain-kind industrial techno has an overpowering hypnotic effect on me. Being assaulted by that sound for me is some kind of ultimate regression back to the darkness and warmth and zero gravity of the womb where I'm just listening to my mother's heartbeat and kicking around like a happy unconscious embryo.

i can't remember being in the womb so i don't know about that, i guess there is a kind of dark euphoria like the cold rush of early no u turn and the cold rush records, both revel in a kind of atonal shrill or swarm of sounds, maybe that was a development on the mentasm.
The classic brit hardcore euphoric sound was the piano keys, then big bright synth held chords, diva wails.
I guess newer ones, esp in a certain strain of minimal is the overwhelming melodic chords, also in european trance, over beatless breakdowns, before the drums roll in again,
What's it about these things though, is it a physical sensation, a good catchy melody or a kind of pattern recognition that has made them so lasting?

grizzleb

With distorted/atonal/noise music (espescially in the club) is the feeling of there being no divide between me and the music, it's almost a physical experience. Intense would be the wrong word, you lose yourself but not in any affective way, more just the music fills up all the space you would normally puts thoughts.
Euphoria works in a different way and I'd say has more to do with being in a big crowd and vibing off everyone else, usually more melodic and happy, although a similar sort of lack of thought is there, but less off in your own world.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
this may seem pretty simplistic, and it is, but for me euphoria needs to be treble, where as bass is dark/warm/hypnotic. euphoria in a club is this ice crystal clarity sound coming out of the rhtyhm/bass mass, and normally the more these are led up to (like big build ups/dynamic drops) and signposted the more the crowd will get ready for that hands in the air moment and the mass of the crowd will make it more euphoric for everyone.

for me thats where the hyperdub stuff is interesting cos there are these bright high euphoric synths being detuned slightly and played as drones, which is where that push/pull of euphoria and anxiety comes in.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I suppose there are certain chords and melodic progressions which trigger feelings of happiness in people. Vocals/vocal samples can definitely have a certain euphoric power, perhaps a connection between audience/music can be triggered by the use of a human voice that you don't necessarily get with drums/instruments? The meaning of the words, for example, even if it is extremely vague or partially expressed.

I've had euphoric moments at dubstep nights, dark DNB nights... with music which you probably wouldn't describe as euphoric at all. Inevitably you have to talk about Ecstacy - the euphoria you get from it, half loved-up emotional warmth, half jaw-grinding RUSH.

What I particularly like in dance music is when euphoric elements are directly juxtaposed (but integrated) with stripped-back, bass-heavy or 'darker' elements.

A rambling reply, haven't really answered your questions. It's an interesting subject though.

polystyle

Imo,
I hear Joy and much of that downtempo mix aiming for an SOS Band -ish early '80's club sound.
Imagination type sounding stuff, that 'euphoria' ...
The track only has a few moving parts signifying this 'euphoria', but hey there it is.
I know what those nights were for us, but for a Joy Orbison , can't guess ...
A planted memory ?

And hear you about 'pulverisation' - it's coming.

And on 'minimal techno' -is what it is,
some phases hit high water mark and left some fizz, foam.
Next waves please !

It's all ongoing process ...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm definitely hearing Corpsey on music that feels euphoric (under the right circumstances) while sounding, to the objective ear, harsh or menacing. I get some of the very best vibes from music that seems cold, inhuman, cybernetic...yet somehow there's a paradoxical warmth there, a soul that shines through the gears and circuitry, just in the last place you'd ever look for one.

I'm also a big fan of white noise - a huge fuck-off mental blast of white noise that makes you stick your hands in the air because it sounds like the end of the world and you're just so READY for it, ready to go out with a bang and not a whimper - you want to turn to your friend next to you and give him a smile that says "See you on the other side!", like you're about to board the mothership at the end of Close Encounters or enter the Stargate or something.

White noise can even be used in conjuction with white light - I was at a night a couple of months back and they filled the whole place with stupidly dense smoke and turned some floodlights on. It was like being in an Anthony Gormley installation, only with really good techno.