Chelsea vs Barcelona

luka

discuss the epic clash here-
one of the best football matches i've ever seen

luka

Cech man of the match though Cole had his best match for Chelsea which made me very happy, that's one talent i don't want to see go to waste.

after all rijkaards talk about how cool and calm he is, how he doesn't get overexcited like morhinoo it made me laugh to see him trying to throw punches at the end. seeing tewars in ronaldinhos eyes made me very happy too. his goal was a piece of sublime genius though obviously and made wegners complaints about henry not getting world player of the year seem ridiculous. lampard relativerly quiet though working hard.

4-2! i can['t beleive it. all that bollocks the papers love writing about how the premiership is so shit compared to spainish football proved definitely wrong, they've got no balls these foreingers! ha! don't like it up 'em, just like terry said in the postmatch interview, bunch of show poneys, pony being the operative word heheheh! ronaldinhos crying ronaldinhos crying! brillinat night of football, fantastic, and imagine if robben had been playing! it would have been about 6-0!

luka

oi! does anyone here know spanish? could you translate a couple of spanish newspaper reports? i want to hear them whinging like the bunch of losers they are

luka

i'm just deciding whther i should throw a sickie tonight in the hpoe arsenal will do something similar. seems unlikely though, they['re shit.

jenks

thread death
was in the pub watching the man utd match with a manc - when the result came through there was total respect for mourinho - there was a genuine sense of admiration for what he did last night which i didn't expect to see/hear from the kind of guys who were drinking in there.
four past barca - gotta be favourites now, them and lyon i suppose.
what's an east london geezer like you doing getting excited about the blues?
p.s. southend make it back to cardiff via the LDV - second best result last night!

luka

they're west ham in a different kit! lampard, cole and johnson coming on in the second half. plus i always want english clubs to go through, plus it was a very exciting game

luka

plus terry, despite being called 'the local lad' by the commentator is very much an eastend boy.

jenks

thread death
agreed on the west ham connection - i once talked to a hammer who had tears in his eyes constructing a side of ex hammers who have gone on to greater things whilst the board have spunked the money on glass ships!
i would love arsenal to overturn the defecit tonight (despite being a spurs fan) as i think the more english clubs in europe the better

luka

i'm disgusted, i thought you lot were supposed to have a feel for beauty and drama and passion, intellect

only one person on this thread with me? you lot only recognise art if it comes in graphic designed packaging saying 'art' on the front in big letters

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Is football art? Can computer games be art? These are the questions that occupy me while I'm playing Pro Evo 4.

Extraordinary game last night, so I'll do a post on it when I've got a bit of time.

martin

----
luka said:
i'm disgusted, i thought you lot were supposed to have a feel for beauty and drama and passion, intellect

only one person on this thread with me? you lot only recognise art if it comes in graphic designed packaging saying 'art' on the front in big letters

no, just fucking hate ch*ls**

jenks

thread death
i dunno if it is art but it is aesthetically pleasing - in particular grace allied to strength. what is not beautiful about the way ronaldinho struck tha ball last night? or rooney's second goal against everton in the f.a cup or...or...i am sure football fans could provide countless examples - i was at wembley when ricky villa scored that goal against man city, as a 14 year old it defined beauty for me, along with ziggy stardust and a girl called miranda

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Yeah, it is galling for Chelsea to win through. Thing is, it was such a mighty struggle that you felt real empathy with whoever kept with the pace and eventually prevailed.

Anyway, what a game. Extraordinarily high paced, which strangely suited Chelsea I think- although they were hemmed in, they looked dangerous on the break. Cole and Lampard were particularly impressive, striding forward and spraying passes around. You can tell it's a high quality game when someone looks at a 40 yard free kick, thinks "yeah I can score from here", and is indeed < this close > from scoring. There could have been about 100 goals, but Peter Cech made a couple of astonishing last gasp saves. Nothing could have prevented Ronaldinho's goal, however, which had the kind of lazy precision of a tennis drop shot (when the defender Carvalho was anticipating a fierce drive).

I don't anticipate Cole getting a proper run in the team for Chelsea, though, it was only in a game this fluid that he could thrive. I felt a little sorry for Barca, their attacking football (using a patented 0-10-1 formation) was at times breathtakingly fluid (and the Terry winner should probably have been disallowed for Carvalho holding on to the keeper's arm). Only a team as good as Chelsea or Milan could have coped with it. In the end, Barca paid the price through some suicidal defending.

It's great to see Deco go out though. He's an idiot.

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
only caught the last 30 minutes

but what a match

chelsea are hard bastards. how difficult is it to score 4 in any tie let alone in europe. it was a complete joy.

mourinho running onto the pitch afterwards to band up with lampard and celebrate with the fans - what a stirring moment. tear to the eye.

COME ON!

egg

Dumpy's Rusty Nut
yeh i will be watching the arsenal match tonight but think they ahve fuck all chance.

and yeh about deco - twat.

Randy Watson

Just wish it had been the final cos it had everything you could hope for from a game of football. I like Barca though and Ronaldhino's goal was just bewildering so I'd have been a bit happier to see Chelsea give (say) Real a proper spanking because they are, to a man, wankers.

Milan will win the champions League. Liverpool for the punters out there (10-1).

If football is art then Marco Van Basten is the greatest artist of the 20th century :p

As Jenks points out, of far greater significance is Southend's progress to the final of the LDV. Surely we must win this year. I can't go though as Mrs Watson is having a baby and that's her due date.