monitor speakers

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
what are the best monitor speakers for under £500? for home use.
how to the KRKs compare to the Mackies? and are the Genelecs better than both?
any advice/help much appreciated...

massrock

Adam A7s are often cited as being excellent budget monitors, a bit above your budget but might be worth investigating. They look ugly so they're probably really good.

How about some Martion Orgons?

martion.jpg

nochexxx

harco pronting
i would personally base the decision of the cans you choose on the size of your room.

if you have a small room it may be better to split the cost between having a smaller set of monitors and a good set of monitor headphones. what you can produce with headphones these days is amazing.

at the moment i reference on a £5 cheap shit 80's plastic hifi, a pair of beyer dt 250's and between them i get the sound i want, primarily cause i know how each monitor is responding. i also have a pair of rockit 8's which are good but i'm using less and less because of the size of them.

a combination of understanding the sound of your monitors, whilst using and having as many reference outputs as possible is the key.

i would ALWAYS go bi-amped!

i've also heard good things about Adam monitors

Last edited:

Tomas

what are the best monitor speakers for under £500? for home use.
how to the KRKs compare to the Mackies? and are the Genelecs better than both?
any advice/help much appreciated...

i've got the krk rokit 6's and they're great - also more than loud enough for our living room when we have people round :) it was a year ago or so we got them so memory a bit hazy but i think you might struggle to find genelec's for under £500?

but the most important thing is to hear them before you buy!

there's another thread on here somewhere about this, which was v useful as i remember...

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
thanks for all this. those threads were very useful.

i'm going for the genelec 8020s for £490. think it's the best i can do on that budget. wasn't that impressed by the krks tbh, thought they were quite dull-sounding in comparison.

also, good advice from nochexx. very useful to have different reference monitors to hand, i always use a pair of £10 computer monitors and switch between the studio monitors and those :slanted:

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
thought they were quite dull-sounding in comparison.
That's sort of the point, though: you want a flat frequency response. You want monitors to "colour" the sound as little as possible. If you can get your stuff to sound good on flat monitors, it'll sound amazing on speakers designed for listening.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
yeah i know. but the krks didn't seem flat to me, they seemed bottom-heavy, dull. same with the mackie mr5s tbh. to my ears the genelecs were better, and probably less likely to flatter my bottom end... ;)

contango

seconded on the Adam A7's

They are worth the extra bit of cash. They translate well and the bass response is actually better than what a lot of the reviews and the official specs would have you believe (depending on the shape of your room). Probably the only monitors I can recommend without any reservations.

It's better to get a little more expensive, but well-known, respected, high resale value monitors than to cheap out and upgrade later (and take a loss on reselling some marginal monitors). Monitors are the most important part of your studio, and should be about half of your overall budget for gear.