Warp 20 Boxset

w205.JPG

so no dissensians bothered buying it, then?

what's the matter? too skint? too jaded? too busy chasing shadows?

Dusty

Tone deaf
I snapped it up. The package as a physical object is beautiful, and as a graphic designer the book of every Warp cover to date is a must-have.

The music could have been a bit more exciting. Firstly everything on CD is being released as either separate CD sets or digital downloads. I'm not sure about the vinyl (not that I bother using my deck these days anyway), but I think some of that is coming out on Bleep as well. So for almost £100 you get next to no exclusive new sounds. Then the actual compilation of voters favourite Warp tracks proves that you can't trust the masses to pick a good tune. Gantz Graf as Autechres finest achievement? Really?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Basically the things I like off Warp I already have. I like quite a small amount of the label's output, so would be surprised if there's something I'm really missing out on in the exclusive stuff. What I've heard of the remakes stuff online sounded bad.

It looks beautiful, but I don't care about the packaging if I don't want the music.

Last edited:

hopper

really couldn't justify this kinda payment... But it looks awesome, would have loved the book, most importantly (as far as I'm concerned) - what's the new boards of canada tune like?

really couldn't justify this kinda payment...

well that's kinda what prompted me to start the thread. i was sitting there with this physically beautiful thing but even then i wasn't sure if it was a justifiable expense. i guess i was looking for some justification here!

what's the new boards of canada tune like?

well naturally it's a bit of a disappointed. nice textures but a bit of an aimless plodder if you ask me. but maybe it'll grow on me, as often happens with their stuff. actually i'd say that Nightmares on Wax's 'Biofeedback Dub' from 1990 packs the biggest punch on first listen - big subs!!

What I've heard of the remakes stuff online sounded bad.

it's a bit of a mixed bag tbh. i really like Vibert's 'LFO' remake. the way he slowed it down and altered the pad chords changes the mood from high drama to deep reverie and you end up sitting there wondering what the fuck happened to the past 18 years. but then there's crud like Maximo Park. hey-ho

zhao

there are no accidents
is DR still doing their stuff? what's DR up to these days? haven't heard anything about them since they did that Coke video.

their site has some newish looking stuff in the slide show but none of it is viewable in the archive...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
is DR still doing their stuff? what's DR up to these days? haven't heard anything about them since they did that Coke video.

their site has some newish looking stuff in the slide show but none of it is viewable in the archive...

They are still going, Ian bought the name back and started again from stratch.

john eden

male pale and stale
I'm not really a warp-head but I think a hundred quid for a boxset of stuff from your favourite label can be justified fairly easily as long as you can still pay the bills.

Presumably you've had ten times the pleasure out of it than a bunch of disappointing albums you paid a tenner for?

this fits in with the "music lethargy" thread - spotify vs filling your place with beautiful objects.

so, bring it on, says I! But keep Mrs gutta in the loop. ;)

hopper

yeah I'd agree with John Eden - it's something that you'll probably be happy you have over time - especially the book and all the artwork. I'm pretty upset that they aren't offering some of the components individually like the new boc tune or the book.

I'm not really a warp-head but I think a hundred quid for a boxset of stuff from your favourite label can be justified fairly easily as long as you can still pay the bills.

true, although warp hasn't been my fave label for years! and i couldn't afford to pay the bills in the first place!!

this fits in with the "music lethargy" thread - spotify vs filling your place with beautiful objects.

i'm firmly in the the 'beautiful objects' camp. though i generally pay a lot less for them. and my interpretation of 'beautiful' might often be considered eccentric. see my other 'secret' blog ;)

polystyle

The artwork - the CG symbol thing is looking quite dated.
Couldn't get a better CG artist- or have a real idea to present ?

Dusty

Tone deaf
I think they look quite good from a technical standpoint, although I agree the concept isn't great. Whoever did it spent time getting the lighting and specular to match the surrounding photo. What more could you do when dealing with a floating purple mobius strip?

I could justify the purchase because Warp influenced me heavily in my early days of discovering electronic music - they were a gateway to a wider world of sound and its more nostalgia than anything else. I didn't realise they would stop selling it so quickly... someone already has it listed on Discogs for £200. :slanted:

mms

sometimes
proggish artwork imho it was done in real time though, purple thing is a think thrown in the air and snapped rather than a photoshopped on thing so i am told.

Last edited:

polystyle

Always can make time for Autechre, BOC , but those tracks will hopefully appear elsewhere.
Lots of great stuff ( and graphics ) from years past,
too bad it came to 'Grizzly Bear', the guy from Battles 'new' prog wank - the current er, crop.

hopper

grizzly bear have some really decent tunes I think. I think there are some really strong acts currently on the roster - fly lo, battles and ggd have all had a few good releases. I'm not such a fan of what I'm hearing from the hudson mohawke LP though

Papercut

cut to the bone
the battles album is pretty prog, but its also really musical. its a pretty specific thing, but its better than any of the aphex, autechre aping shit thats been floating round for the last 10 years.

i really like grizzly bear also, their songs are pretty creative with the form too.

couldnt care for much else warp have released in the last few years though.