Roman Polanski

IdleRich

IdleRich
So, the law finally caught up with him. Seems to me that he raped someone (an underage girl in fact), skipped bail and has now finally been arrested with some likelihood of his actually doing time - but to go by most of the public opinion I've read it seems that the US and Swiss goverments are vindictively collaborating in an attempt to destroy a harmless old man, possibly as a result of recent arguments regarding secret bank accounts and tax-dodging. Am I totally wrong on this or what?

crackerjack

So, the law finally caught up with him. Seems to me that he raped someone (an underage girl in fact), skipped bail and has now finally been arrested with some likelihood of his actually doing time - but to go by most of the public opinion I've read it seems that the US and Swiss goverments are vindictively collaborating in an attempt to destroy a harmless old man, possibly as a result of recent arguments regarding secret bank accounts and tax-dodging. Am I totally wrong on this or what?

Dunno about that. Apparently the LAPD have been chasing him ever since he skipped. I don't buy the harmless bit either. You drug and rape an underage girl you deserve to do the time.

craner

Beast of Burden
This is obviously a good moment to review the brilliant dwarf's career. I embarked on a Polanski project a few years ago: being interested in the tone and texture of his films, as well as the black glamour of his life, I decided to watch all his movies in chronological order. A bit sad, I know, but it works very well with this spectacular pervert. I only got as far as Macbeth, however, because What? wasn't commercially available then, and I very much wanted to see what happened in that bleary, decadent, despairing period between Macbeth and Chinatown. The film's available now but I haven't watched it yet. Then the next obstacle to get over will be Pirates. You see, the project is not actually as easy as you'd expect. Isn't this interesting?

S

simon silverdollar

there was a (rare) good comment on the guardian's comment is free site, asking if charlton heston had drugged and then raped a 13 year old girl, would he receive the same liberal support?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I've got no time for him at all, horrible little man from what I can tell from his films. Him and Woody Allen. Save us from liberal hebephiles.

They haven't been trying very hard to catch him, have they? God knows what it's all about really. I mean, I guess it has to go to trial but the girl got paid off and doesn't want to press charges, so it's all a bit weird. No sympathy for him though.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
there was a (rare) good comment on the guardian's comment is free site, asking if charlton heston had drugged and then raped a 13 year old girl, would he receive the same liberal support?

heh-heh.

a bit like people rightly disgusted w moonbats calling Obama a Nazi etc; perhaps you should have been a bit harder on your mates who insisted on calling Dubya much the same earlier then, eh?

craner

Beast of Burden
He was always an egomaniac and philanderer, even at film school in Poland. Snotty little show-off with tons of talent. Then he went to London and turned into Austin Powers. But he was at his best, as a human being, when he was with Sharon Tate, who absolutely adored him, and almost made him a father. I think her murder at the hands of a gang of insane messianic neofascist cult members had a bit of an effect on his personality. Probably made him a bit nasty and fucked up, I should think.

crackerjack

I've got no time for him at all, horrible little man from what I can tell from his films. Him and Woody Allen. Save us from liberal hebephiles.

They haven't been trying very hard to catch him, have they? God knows what it's all about really. I mean, I guess it has to go to trial but the girl got paid off and doesn't want to press charges, so it's all a bit weird. No sympathy for him though.

Rape is a crime against the state, not just the individual. She has no say.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
He was always an egomaniac and philanderer, even at film school in Poland. Snotty little show-off with tons of talent. Then he went to London and turned into Austin Powers. But he was at his best, as a human being, when he was with Sharon Tate, who absolutely adored him, and almost made him a father. I think her murder at the hands of a gang of insane messianic neofascist cult members had a bit of an effect on his personality. Probably made him a bit nasty and fucked up, I should think.

Often, after the brutal murder of my wife and unborn child, I too found myself drugging and fucking teenagers with Jack Nicholson. It helped ease my pain.

craner

Beast of Burden
I find Rosemary's Baby a bit of a clunker, to be honest. Cul-de-sac is simply bad. The Fearless Vampire Killers is objectively very good, but a real chore to watch. Tess, though! Tess is fantastic. So it's really all about: Knife in the Water, Repulsion, Macbeth, Chinatown, Tess and...um, Frantic. Well, Frantic, until you get to the end of the film.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I don't buy the harmless bit either. You drug and rape an underage girl you deserve to do the time."
Yeah, that's what I'm saying - I'm just surprised at the lack of people in the media who are prepared to do the same.

"I think her murder at the hands of a gang of insane messianic neofascist cult members had a bit of an effect on his personality. Probably made him a bit nasty and fucked up, I should think."
Certainly looks that way - I mean he sodomised a child didn't he?

craner

Beast of Burden
If I remember, he pleaded guilty, was sentenced, served his time, and was released. But then the State changed their mind and decided to alter the sentence because of outside pressure to do so, and they lied to Polanski and his attorney about it. They were planning to throw him straight back in jail, with -- I think I have my facts right here -- a different sentence and no re-trial. So Polanski left the country and eventually settled out of court with the girl and her family. It was an odd, distorted case all round. But he did co-operate and serve his sentence.