View Full Version : r&b

luka
09-03-2005, 12:14 PM
the ones i'm loving right now are
john legend-used to love you
mario-let me love you
and
akon-ghetto

all gorgeous songs, i might get that akon album, has anyone heard it?

dubplatestyle
09-03-2005, 12:39 PM
AMERIE (i am going to type that in all caps for emphasis but the dissensus program will likely change it)

dubplatestyle
09-03-2005, 12:40 PM
hurrah!

(it hasn't been a stellar 18 months for rnb really.)

stelfox
09-03-2005, 12:47 PM
i dunno jess i don't think it's been bad... then again my view of brandy's afrodisiac as one of the crowning moments of tim's career isn't shared by many people.
ashanti's only u, amerie, akon... all great... loving j.lo right now, too. seems things are looking up - spesh if yr name begins with an "a"

luka
09-03-2005, 01:16 PM
it's shared by me dave¬!

jd_
09-03-2005, 02:26 PM
I really like the the John Legend too. The rest of the album didn't really do anything for me but whatever. Only U and a few r&b tunes hidden on hip hop discs, Shawnna "What Can I Do?" + Jacki-O "Pretty". I got pretty into this song "Hypnotic Love" by Adrienne--a random chinese r&b girl who's cd I found in a delete bin. It's more Britney sounding though than real r&b although there's some sort of Mya connection. The new Mariah sounded alright, I like her song with Jadakiss too. Some old stuff that I missed out on, Latrelle & Nivea. Not heard anything as good as Ciara or Christina Milian recently to be honest.

jd_
09-03-2005, 02:28 PM
mario, akon + amerie need investigating I think. What's the Amerie tune to check out?

gragy10
09-03-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm guessing the Amerie tune everyone's alluding to is One Thing - huge drums (produced by Rich Harrison of Crazy In Love fame), adequate vocals. Loved it at first but got kind of boring after a while - would really benefit from a better singer.
Good to see that Mario tune get mentioned in here as well - anyone else think it's a really unlikely Scott Storch production? Amazing spacing on it, although I've found myself listening to the instrumental more than the full version.
Dunno if the guy above who mentioned Latrelle is talking about House Party but that's an amazing tune - I'd never heard it until someone burnt me a copy of one of those Max Bedroom Neptunes mixes. That and the How Many Licks remix are probably the greatest 'lost' neptunes tracks there are

Dubquixote
09-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Look out for that new (ehem...) Jennifer Lopez joint called "Get Right" w/ Fabolous. The production is seriously on point, with some heavy drum editing.

jd_
09-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, House Party and Dirty Girl too. some others too but those were the main ones I was into. It didn't come out? I got the mp3z in gmail.

DavidD
09-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Amerie has a BEAUTIFUL voice, I wish the JLo single had her on it too.

My big thing right now is this gourgeous track out of ATL called "Slow Down" by Bobby Valentino from luda's crew Disturbing the Peace. You can get it here (http://somanyshrimp.com/2005/03/bobby-valentino.html), its this shimmering middle-eastern thing sprinkled with bongos...it'll be all over the place soon, I'm sure.

Don't forget Usher's "Caught Up" - I think its much better than "Burn" or "Confessions pt 2"

gragy10
09-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Major thanks to David for that Bobby Valentino track - I'm guessing that's Timbaland on the beat, but either way it's one of the best things I've heard this year. Just when I was losing any faith in Timbaland as well...

hint
09-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Look out for that new (ehem...) Jennifer Lopez joint called "Get Right" w/ Fabolous. The production is seriously on point, with some heavy drum editing.

http://www.usherforever.com/music/usher_ride.html

it's rich harrsion again, by the way

baboon2004
09-03-2005, 06:08 PM
More love for that Bobby Valentino track - the beat is incredible. Most of the eastern influenced rnb songs I've heard up to now have been good, but rather less than atmospheric. This changes all that.

cooper
09-03-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm guessing the Amerie tune everyone's alluding to is One Thing - huge drums (produced by Rich Harrison of Crazy In Love fame), adequate vocals. Loved it at first but got kind of boring after a while - would really benefit from a better singer.

hell yeah that's my joint
any rnb song that chops up an apache break is fine by me. and it's wicked minimal - basically just those drums and the electric guitar progression.

personally, i find amerie to be a more palatable version of beyonce - similar voice but not given to all those fucking annoying warbly runs. not to mention the new destiny's child album is utter shit... but 9th wonder bought a yukon off it so it's not all bad!

DavidD
09-03-2005, 06:36 PM
Major thanks to David for that Bobby Valentino track - I'm guessing that's Timbaland on the beat, but either way it's one of the best things I've heard this year. Just when I was losing any faith in Timbaland as well...
I don't think its actually timbaland, he gives a shoutout to "Tim and Bob" as his producers - I could be wrong though, "Tim" could be Timbaland. It definitely bears the mark of his influence.

hint
09-03-2005, 07:29 PM
tim and bob (http://www.bmi.com/musicworld/onthescene/200009/timbob.asp)

DavidD
09-03-2005, 08:02 PM
My favorite John Legend song is actually "Live it Up," lush and gourgeous philly soul.

hint
09-03-2005, 08:16 PM
my current faves are

one thing, still
that re-edit of mighty by tye tribbet that's currently floating around
and mr johnnie walker by tiombe lockheart, which is produced by bilal

believekevin
09-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Don't forget R Kelly's <i><a href="http://crashingjets.nu/blog/?p=191">Sex in the Kitchen</a></i>!

The Amerie track hooked me when I first got it but I change the station when it comes on lately.

In rewinds, I'm all about Aaliyah's "Miss You" lately for a variety of reasons.

michael
09-03-2005, 08:57 PM
and mr johnnie walker by tiombe lockheart, which is produced by bilal

Has Bilal been up to anything much recently in terms of his own stuff? Heard his track 'Bring 2' on The Wash soundtrack and it was awesome... so checked out that album (Second First Born or whatever) and was pretty underwhelmed. Likewise most of the guests I've heard... Tweet, Kweli, etc. although his track with Common is nice.

He just gets a bit shrieky a lot of the time. :D

For all I know there's a few albums, etc...

DavidD
09-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Sex in the Kitchen is so great!

DavidD
09-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Take that how you will.

luka
09-03-2005, 10:36 PM
the award for best new r&b sng from the stratford area goes to kele le roc's new one, something about getting you naked

dubplatestyle
09-03-2005, 11:00 PM
i could definitely see myself getting annoyed by the amerie if i had a tv or drove to work.

which track on the DC did 9th wonder produce?

that raphael saadiq album that squeaked out unnoticed last year is actually pretty hot in places.

gragy10
10-03-2005, 11:00 AM
tim and bob (http://www.bmi.com/musicworld/onthescene/200009/timbob.asp)

Bizarre - I wasn't that keen on any of the other stuff listed on that resume, but the bobby valentino track seems like a major step forward. Like David said, major Timbaland influence going on. Haven't decided on Sex In The Kitchen yet - I figure it's basically great and I realise the lyrics are an easy target but they really are laughable.
Anyone got any 7 Aurelius (or is it the other way around) tracks to recommend? Hush is one of the best things I've heard in the last 6 months (Discovery era Daft Punk going r&b was always gonna win me over) and I know he ghosted most of the big murder inc singles for Irv Gotti but other than that I don't know what else he's done. Noticed he's been taken under the Roc 4 Life umbrella so i guess more'll be heard from him soon
I think 9th Wonder did a couple of tracks on the DC album; Girls and ... another. Quite a nice remix of Girls going round with Sean Price on it that's claiming to be a 9th wonder job, although the drums sound a bit too nice

redcrescent
10-03-2005, 01:47 PM
In rewinds, I'm all about Aaliyah's "Miss You" lately for a variety of reasons.
I've always loved that song.

cooper
10-03-2005, 03:03 PM
which track on the DC did 9th wonder produce?

"is she the reason" is the big one, but iirc (i didn't help buy that yukon mind you) he also did about 4 others.
http://www.fmsound.net/NewReleases/Articles/Destiny's%20Child/Destiny%20Fulfilled.html says:
girl / bad habit / if / free / through with love / love
i think 9th said he only did 5 tracks, though.

hint
10-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Has Bilal been up to anything much recently in terms of his own stuff? Heard his track 'Bring 2' on The Wash soundtrack and it was awesome... so checked out that album (Second First Born or whatever) and was pretty underwhelmed.

I generally steer clear of r'n'b and "big" hip hop albums because they're so often disappointing - I just stick to the singles and find I have the tracks I'd like or want to play.

mind you, I bought the new ludacris LP last week, just so I could have the potion... :D

luka
10-03-2005, 07:56 PM
burn doesn't do much for me.i'm very fond of dot com though.

DavidD
29-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Still loving R&B this year...i didn't see it mentioned, but Tori alamaze - don't cha is great, also that song al just put up on govt names is really nice, trackmasters R&B. Also, where is the love for the new Tweet single? And I've heard good things about the Brooke Valentine album.

Tactics
29-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Teedra Moses - Complex Simplicity. Now close this post and check this LP lol................

jd_
30-03-2005, 12:32 AM
And I've heard good things about the Brooke Valentine album.

Long As You Come Home is my favorite from her. There's some other good stuff on her cd but she wrecks a lot of it with bad diva bits.

DavidD
30-03-2005, 03:59 AM
Sorry, i meant track boyz, not trackmasters.

blacklay
30-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Also, where is the love for the new Tweet single?

I think the tweet single's nice but isn’t quite “oops (oh my)”. On listening to the album I like the track called “you”, lovely rnb without hip hop pretensions. Not my usual cup of cha and haven’t got all the way through the album but that stood out from the crowd.

…And the Amerie track is definitely big. I heard that it started off as an unofficial remix of a not very inspiring original. the accapella got about and the version that we now know came about which saved her career. Good rumour if it’s not true.

mms
30-03-2005, 09:26 PM
…And the Amerie track is definitely big. I heard that it started off as an unofficial remix of a not very inspiring original. the accapella got about and the version that we now know came about which saved her career. Good rumour if it’s not true.

oh yes it's the bomb, big on hot 97 when my mate went to new york the other week, and the beat has been versioned over alot by various mc's i hear.
she's also got a genuinely sexy imperfect voice rather than these wailing types on so many r and b tunes nowdays.
the track was done by the guys who did 'crazy in love' but this one is much more off the wall.

jd_
06-04-2005, 07:25 PM
112 - Closing The Club with three 6 MAfia's a good one. Sorta like Oh Yeah but with everything in the basses.

DavidD
06-04-2005, 09:17 PM
As Dave Stelfox knows, the 4-disc "Fuck Action 40" S&C R&B album by OG Ron C is GREAT. One of the guys from governmentnames did a nice write-up of it, too, you could browse the archives for it...I can't stop listening to it.

michael
07-04-2005, 12:23 AM
I've been thrashing that Akon tune 'Ghetto', which Luka mentioned at the start of the thread. So good!

Not so sold on that Amerie tune. The breaks-y, real drum kit sound is pretty tasty and I'm sure it'd be fun to dance to, but I have to compare it to 'Crazy In Love' and find it lacking.... 'Crazy In Love' has a really huge chorus, and the interplay between that and the sparse verses with the mad beat is a killer. This is like just those verses, without the contrast.

IMHO. :)

Omaar
07-04-2005, 03:26 AM
mic - did you hear that Savage tune with Akon doing the vox?

Not great imho, but thought I'd mention it for the curious NZ connection ..

I'm personally not sold on Akon, but if you and luka are upping it maybe I outta give him a decent listen. Most of the rnb i hear is what plays on my clock radio to wake me up - tuned to Nu FM, the NZ Pacific station. It's the only station that plays music in the morning and doesn't feature morons bleating on or staging laddish pranks. But it means I only hear new rnb while I am half asleep.

michael
07-04-2005, 04:25 AM
mic - did you hear that Savage tune with Akon doing the vox?

Not great imho, but thought I'd mention it for the curious NZ connection ..

Nah, I've only heard that 'Swing' tune of Savage's and his verse on that Scribe remix.

Other Akon stuff I've heard (only 3 or 4 songs) hasn't been nearly as good as 'Ghetto'. Something about the tone of the particular track seems pretty wucked to me..

michael
08-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Oh shit... that's Savage on 'Locked Up'??? :o Ahahah! I never even paused to consider whether any of the vocalists on that tune were from somewhere other than America.

The whole phenomenon of American accents in NZ rap is staggering sometimes. :rolleyes:

Omaar
08-04-2005, 05:53 AM
Oh shit... that's Savage on 'Locked Up'??? :o Ahahah! I never even paused to consider whether any of the vocalists on that tune were from somewhere other than America.

Yeah, it's such a terrible thing it really turns me off most NZ hip hop/rnb. Adeaze are pretty nice though, nothing groundbreaking just such lush vocal harmonies. Their cover of 'how deep is you love' is pretty nice. And their new tune with Alphrisk is pretty good too.

Am I alone in finding that J-Lo 'get right' tune really irritating? I don't get it at all, I'm not anti J-Lo but that tune grates so ...

luka
27-04-2005, 11:10 AM
you know you love signs with snoop and justin. you know you're practsing all justins dance moves when the video comes on. don't lie to me.

DavidD
27-04-2005, 09:53 PM
That song is wonderful.
I think right now, Omarion's got the dance move thang on lock though. Too bad his music can't compete.

tate
28-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Am I alone in finding that J-Lo 'get right' tune really irritating? I don't get it at all, I'm not anti J-Lo but that tune grates so ...

No prob here with J-Lo's Get Right, it shares something with Crazy in Love, Soldier, and 1 Thing: Rich Harrison.

Omaar
28-04-2005, 09:31 AM
No prob here with J-Lo's Get Right, it shares something with Crazy in Love, Soldier, and 1 Thing: Rich Harrison.

I'm not so sold on soldier either - lose my breath was way better i reckon.

Plus am I being paranoid or is the militaristic thing (re: the above the song title and also the marching breaks in lose my breath) going on with destiny's right now a bit freaky in the context of US imperial aggression. The lyrics don't really support that theory - just the semiotics of it I guess.

hint
28-04-2005, 11:24 AM
you know you love signs with snoop and justin. you know you're practsing all justins dance moves when the video comes on. don't lie to me.

dunno about dancing, but it had me planning a trip down tk maxx to see if they had any white suits.

Ach!
04-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Snoop & JT... BIG! Amerie... BIG! Bobby Valentino... OVERBIG!

New in the OVERBIG category, Jon B - 'Lately'... OVERBIG!

craner
08-05-2005, 02:35 PM
What happened to my girl Chante?

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-59097/Chante2.jpg

LRJP!
08-05-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm not so sold on soldier either - lose my breath was way better i reckon.

Plus am I being paranoid or is the militaristic thing (re: the above the song title and also the marching breaks in lose my breath) going on with destiny's right now a bit freaky in the context of US imperial aggression. The lyrics don't really support that theory - just the semiotics of it I guess.

That had occurred to me too. A weird sort of parallel between Gangsta Soldier and Soldier Soldier...

Lose My Breath is/was sublime. The absolute high point for Destinys Child? Like when a plant flowers vividly for the last time just before it dies...?

Ach!
10-05-2005, 06:22 PM
What happened to my girl Chante?

I was listening to 'Wey U' just yesterday, it's sooo looovely :)

craner
10-05-2005, 06:30 PM
something about Brandy and Kelly and Kelis too

craner
10-05-2005, 06:31 PM
oui! oui! and I l-l-loved her on that So So Def production 'Straight Up'

sparring in a boxing ring fists strapped in white tape if I recollect it right (I have odd dreams though)

craner
11-05-2005, 01:55 PM
and I heard a ravishing new Common track called 'Go'

John Legend - such a smoothie! (the return of the smoothie no less)

craner
19-05-2005, 05:55 PM
If 'Ordinary People' had come out 3 years ago it might have saved my marriage!

robin
01-06-2005, 05:16 AM
anyone following r. kelly's trapped in the closet saga?
its possibly the weirdest thing thats ever existed

carlos
12-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Trey Songz- "Gotta Make it"
i love this

what else is new and good out there?

hint
12-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Lil Kim - Lighters Up
Mariah Carey - Shake It Off (not keen on the remix - it's the chord changes on the original that make it so dope)
Camille - Big

Toni Braxton's come back with a track, that's basically Crazy In Love / One Thing all over again. Presumably another Rich Harrison beat and he's looking like a bit of a one-trick pony. Wouldn't be so bad if the topline wasn't so similar to the others... Check Take This Ring here (http://www.toni-online.com/09/media.htm) or here (http://kevinrscott.typepad.com/daily/2005/08/toni_braxton_ta.html)

jd_
16-12-2005, 01:59 AM
Anybody else into Chris Brown's album? I love "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)" from it but there's a lot of good stuff on the cd. El Rae ft. Triple Threat "Tonight (DOK remix)" is really awesome too.

sadmanbarty
21-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Any 2015 R&B recommendations?

I wasn't a fan of Rose, so foolishly I didn't bother to look into Abra's other stuff.

Then I heard this:

https://soundcloud.com/darkwaveduchess/sick-girl

Which got me backtracking:

https://soundcloud.com/darkwaveduchess/i-guess-prmd-remix (I could imagine this doing well in a Deep Tech set)

https://soundcloud.com/darkwaveduchess/centerstage-117

https://soundcloud.com/darkwaveduchess/sets/blq-velvet

Some other good 2015 R&B:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wY1bQn2A0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHHcJWvYs1w

Anything other good'uns?

Corpsey
09-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Oh here it is. :confused:

Teedra album
Jeremih album

Get to know. :eek:

edit: NO WAIT! This is from 2005.

I'M TOO TIRED TODAY.

rubberdingyrapids
10-02-2016, 03:53 PM
no one care about beyonce on dissensus? the ilx thread on formation is pretty funny/tragic/repugnant/bey-hive-minded. i have nothing to say about it other than cool song, great video, the politics are dubious and a tad messy, but its interesting to see her be more explicit about race. she couldnt ignore all the current debate around black politics for too long.

Benny B
29-02-2016, 10:46 AM
the album is very very special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-bYJASYUwo

luka
29-02-2016, 12:28 PM
if youre ever looking to carry your night on in stoke newington after hours my mate does an r&b night at kimos wine bar every friday. dont bother if youre not into r&b obviously

tom lea
01-03-2016, 11:12 PM
didnt know kimos is still going

it's run by sting who co-owns deja

CrowleyHead
01-03-2016, 11:45 PM
If you saw on twitter, I had a fit, because there was a new Tweet album released 5 days ago and its superb ofc. but nobody knew apparently.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TcC6-mThTBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corpsey
02-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the heads up Crowley, this is great :D

kwaku
02-03-2016, 10:37 AM

This really is brilliant. For London peoples, they're playing Bush Hall end of the month too

luka
02-03-2016, 04:38 PM
didnt know kimos is still going

it's run by sting who co-owns deja

Still going, it's a perfectly good little venue and the staff are very kind

luka
04-03-2016, 04:51 PM

They can sing fine but maybe a bit drippy?

luka
04-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Which got me backtracking:

https://soundcloud.com/darkwaveduche...ess-prmd-remix (I could imagine this doing well in a Deep Tech set)

dont usualy like what you reccomend cos its mostly weirdo music but this is good. if it was a bit more anthemic it could be romford dance. banger. #bang #banging
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=9863&highlight=romford

Corpsey
04-03-2016, 08:32 PM
dont usualy like what you reccomend cos its mostly weirdo music

Dissensus game Troy Ave

Benny B
04-03-2016, 09:00 PM
They can sing fine but maybe a bit drippy?

Nah not drippy, it is quite cosmic though. U shd check out the whole album, picking out 1 track doesnt realky do it justice. Cliche i know, but it really is like stepping into a warm bath.
I like them cos its very different to everything in rnb atm, without falling into the weird hipster rnb category like fka twigs or wknd or someone.

Benny B
04-03-2016, 10:27 PM
man i'm totally underselling it, this album is going down as a fucking classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbpSV3gBRfk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqJt07rGy4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBwAssiQC2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDSgQtaU3w

i know it shouldn't matter but i can't help but be bowled over by the fact this is all self-produced, written and performed. stevie wonder was actually the first thing that came to mind when i first heard it (along with the the cocteau twins funnily enough). I'm struggling to think of anything remotely like it around at the moment, but at the same time it's not all that retro either. i am smitten

luka
04-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Nah cool I'm very open minded, a very open minded guy. I'll check it out

luka
04-03-2016, 10:52 PM
I just got the twin garlic baguettes from tesco metro. I'll drink a glass of cold white wine, nibble on the finest garlic bread and chill with these singing sistahs

luka
04-03-2016, 11:42 PM
Too retro to float my boat. Good luck to them though. They can sing.

sadmanbarty
04-04-2016, 10:03 PM
https://soundcloud.com/jamnson/im-sorry-swell-feat-shiloh-jamnson

sadmanbarty
05-04-2016, 08:47 AM
In a similar vein to the last one:

https://soundcloud.com/daetrip/tracks

Benny B
05-04-2016, 09:02 AM
If you saw on twitter, I had a fit, because there was a new Tweet album released 5 days ago and its superb ofc. but nobody knew apparently.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TcC6-mThTBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gorgeous album. love the guitars

the new K Michelle album 'more issues than vogue' is sounding great too, if not quite as awesome as 'anybody wanna buy a heart'.

Benny B
05-04-2016, 09:16 AM
this is from last year but its just got a video so i'm posting it. its a jam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM_hw_rQwLY

Corpsey
05-04-2016, 09:51 AM
More 2015 fiyahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rnIPEx7slE

TANK feat Wale - You Don't Know (2015)

luka
05-04-2016, 11:49 AM
Big fan of tank

sadmanbarty
09-04-2016, 09:41 AM
yyaldrin, brought her to my attention. The whole 23 EP is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUOQl87jkB8&nohtml5=False

trza
09-04-2016, 06:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6wskPU5cAY&nohtml5=False

luka
15-04-2016, 09:58 AM
https://soundcloud.com/stoicville/look-at-me

Corpsey
27-04-2016, 02:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7LBse25QP8

DVSN - Too Deep (2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeANVMbkxxY

Fantasia - No Time For It (2016)

Corpsey
27-04-2016, 02:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9_GawGEj_g

Eric Bellinger feat. Fetty Wap and 2 Chainz - Valet (2016)

This is such a bog-standard Mustard rip-off beat and Fetty Wap versey hook thing, but nevertheless - it works.

sadmanbarty
27-04-2016, 03:00 PM
I like that DVSN

Corpsey
27-04-2016, 03:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp1Pq2Fuw30

Ro James - Permission (2016)

sadmanbarty
27-04-2016, 03:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp1Pq2Fuw30

Ro James - Permission (2016)

Very nice, keep 'em coming Corpsey.

sadmanbarty
27-04-2016, 03:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6wskPU5cAY&nohtml5=False

Only just seen this, it's good.

Corpsey
27-04-2016, 03:14 PM
I like that DVSN

yeah, I assumed he was a weeknd style miserablist but that tune's got a bit of a 90s feel to it

Corpsey
27-04-2016, 03:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOpJywrdCuQ

Bryson Tiller - Exchange (2016)

Who else used that sample? Drake? Definitely recognise it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtcP0PFifpE

Jeremih - Oui (2015)

Just a friendly reminder as to how good this is.

sadmanbarty
27-04-2016, 03:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOpJywrdCuQ

Bryson Tiller - Exchange (2016)

Like this one.

Corpsey
27-04-2016, 03:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBYbhZreprc

DVSN - Hallucinations (2016)

This ain't bad either. He's got a very Usher-ish voice.

sadmanbarty
27-04-2016, 10:02 PM
https://soundcloud.com/fadetomind/dawn-richard-honest

rubberdingyrapids
28-04-2016, 09:40 AM
the beyonce album is actually seriously good.

Corpsey
28-04-2016, 09:42 AM
I've been wondering about that.

I can't face all the thinkpieces and this has made me disinclined to check out the music.

rubberdingyrapids
28-04-2016, 10:01 AM
same here. i thought formation's political cred was very overstated which ruined the song for me. but the album is good (formation sounds better too, now i dont have to listen to it with all the heavy handed claims being made for it).

i find beyonce's fans a bit intimidating.

sadmanbarty
28-04-2016, 10:43 AM
the beyonce album is actually seriously good.

Judging by the previews on tidal the first few tracks are great. I had a similar thing earlier this year with the rihanna album; 2/3 of it was very good.

Corpsey
28-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Not that into that Dawn Richard, I quite liked Kelela's album last year though and 'Rewind' is a personal fave

sadmanbarty
19-05-2016, 11:04 PM
Jacquees. He was on Barter 6.

https://soundcloud.com/jacquees

https://play.spotify.com/album/3N1TB3dK4eC44E92ByGJy6?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

Really like what he does in the chorus on 'Destiny's Child':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3a9KwYSio4

Corpsey
15-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Catchy bit of cod-dancehall RNB courtesy c/o Mr Songz

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Atrack%3A7k7pJA7s9RgmW8siyBiqum" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9rFeGAdX0A

Corpsey
15-08-2016, 10:06 AM
Also, new PARTYNEXTDOOR if you like that sort of things:

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Aalbum%3A2FXGUAESmG5l9YPrzWPvHI" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

I'm ambivalent

Corpsey
15-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Named after England's legendary goalkeeper? Probably.

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Aalbum%3A3Yge4r9nwVupVedQQ3T8G6" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK1wesXex0Q

GUORDAN BANKS - KEEP YOU IN MIND

CrowleyHead
15-08-2016, 11:41 PM
Also, new PARTYNEXTDOOR if you like that sort of things:

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Aalbum%3A2FXGUAESmG5l9YPrzWPvHI" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

I'm ambivalent

Hits and misses but that first track is hellish in the best ways.

luka
23-08-2016, 03:04 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/aug/22/best-randb-blond-king-abra-frank-ocean

agree or disagree? the writer is a i love music regular. most of it is just soft focus 80s pastiche. fairly dull bit i love k michelle. shes the real deal.

Benny B
23-08-2016, 03:51 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/aug/22/best-randb-blond-king-abra-frank-ocean

agree or disagree? the writer is a i love music regular. most of it is just soft focus 80s pastiche. fairly dull bit i love k michelle. shes the real deal.

apart from lost, channel orange failed to make any impression whatsoever so i doubt i'll be into this new one.

K michelle is incredible on pretty much every level (and I do have ilx to thank for picking up on her). The newest album is great but the previous one 'anybody wanna buy a heart' is a classic for me.

The tweet album is gorgeous, i've listened to it loads this year. Same goes for KING. I can see why the retro-ness of these might put some people off (though k michelle could be just as easily accused of this at times) , but i don't think 'pastiche' is the right word to slag them with.

Then again, those three albums are pretty much all i've listened to rnb-wise this year so what do I know?

Corpsey
24-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Soft focus is the perfect phrase to describe KING (who I think are great).

Things on the other side (Bryson Tiller, DVSN, Weeknd, et al) are also soft focus. Not sure why that is. Guess it's just the fashion.

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Atrack%3A3uSSjnDMmoyERaAK9KvpJR" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Not heard Frank Ocean's new album(s) yet but I really liked a lot of Channel Orange and Nostalgia Ultra. I love his voice. 'Thinking About You' is one of the best RNB ballads of the decade.

Corpsey
26-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Tory Lanez - I Told You

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Aalbum%3A4fkwYpgopcuTTR0fvseWXk" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

LOL track 2 is such a blatant rip off of Travis Scott.

This guy's got a rep as a style biter and I guess it sticks. But everybody's at it these days, eh?

rubberdingyrapids
26-08-2016, 01:39 PM
been around a few months now but timmys prayer by sampha is still great.

not R&b per se but take it or leave it by rae sremmerd is also incredible, more for the chorus than the raps, which is why im putting it here.

i want to hear the new frank ocean album though not as excited as everyone else as ive always considered him quite a bad singer. but it sounds like something id prob like.

Corpsey
26-08-2016, 02:07 PM
I get the criticism of Frank Ocean as a bad singer, insofar as he isn't hitting the notes, say, Usher is, but - as I said just above - I really like the quality of his voice.

Top 5 Male/Female voices in R&B?

rubberdingyrapids
26-08-2016, 02:11 PM
hes kinda like an indie kid fantasy of R&B to me

but i should prob go back and give him a reappraisal. id like to think think he would be grateful for this. not having many fans and stuff.

top 5 today or all time?

i don't think 'pastiche' is the right word to slag them with.

king def isnt pastiche
theyre actually hugely original in many ways, even if you can spot some obvious influences

Corpsey
26-08-2016, 02:39 PM
I've lost interest already! Haha

It's a shame Chris Brown is such a loathsome individual cos his voice is practically angelic.

I've long thought Usher had/has the strongest voice in R&B, though nowadays he squanders it on EDM junk.

rubberdingyrapids
26-08-2016, 02:42 PM
usher doesnt really have any sort of identity as an artist

lots of good songs (though not sure if hes still getting great ones) but theres nothing really identifiably 'usher', other than his voice

shame he hasnt been tied to any one writer/producer since JD in his early career

Corpsey
19-09-2016, 12:34 PM
BLONDE is finally on Spotify.

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Aalbum%3A1PDX0hMmsSdq122EupvNZF" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Corpsey
04-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Can't even be bothered to listen to BLONDE. Should I?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qrinhNnOM

Solange - Cranes in the Sky (2016)

I'm a sucker for the bland and beatific end of R&B, and this song is right amidst that orange grove.

Corpsey
11-10-2016, 01:00 PM
<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Aalbum%3A3Yko2SxDk4hc6fncIBQlcM" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Solange's album in full

dert
12-10-2016, 04:51 AM
can someone please bump the 80s rnb thread? trying to lose myself in a youtube khole

luka
14-10-2016, 05:44 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BI-nMHyjg6l/

BareBones
18-10-2016, 11:25 AM
This PnB Rock track is one of my favs of the year, doesn't look like anyone has posted it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqWY5pFZylw

BareBones
18-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Also I think Eric Bellinger is underrated... he releases a lot of stuff and it's hit and miss but there's always some low key bangers on his albums. 'House Party' was the one for me a couple of years ago but this is probably the most Eric Bellinger Eric Bellinger tune yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=intisXdsqYM

BareBones
18-10-2016, 11:27 AM
and Tinashe is still knocking out some good singles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp-PPYPdK5k

sorry for multiple posts it wouldn't let me do three videos in one :/

luka
21-10-2016, 08:10 AM
luvvit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qrinhNnOM
gunna double post this. choon

luka
21-10-2016, 08:11 AM
just checked back to see if itd been posted already. well done corpsey.

Corpsey
21-10-2016, 08:35 AM
I've still not listened to 'Blonde' yet but 'Pink and White' off it is a little bit in the same mould as 'Cranes in the Sky'. Sentimental chords, chunky drums.

luka
21-10-2016, 08:41 AM
I've still not listened to 'Blonde' yet but 'Pink and White' off it is a little bit in the same mould as 'Cranes in the Sky'. Sentimental chords, chunky drums.

both on the spotify 'newness' r&b playlist lol!

Corpsey
21-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Spotify is my God now.

luka
21-10-2016, 09:12 AM
i like how the compositions in that video are a bit too on the nose. it gives it an over earnest quality thats cute and fits the song relly well

sadmanbarty
25-11-2016, 02:17 PM
More of the same from Tinashe. I was hoping for more 'Party Favours' or Mike Will Made It style production, but it's good for what it is.

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Aalbum%3A4oUQWJAcEtTuhYFR9AGfaC" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

firefinga
25-11-2016, 05:18 PM
Dawn Richard - "Infrared" -EP

Generally not a big fan of today's RnB, but that EP is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi_qdMiFKEFT08u_fJoBmisKtoKNHyJyy

rubberdingyrapids
30-11-2016, 03:20 PM
i detest the weekend (despite liking a few songs) as a persona but here is SR on him -
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/nov/25/the-weeknd-low-life-abel-tesfaye

CrowleyHead
30-11-2016, 03:24 PM
Yeah, def. feel like Reynolds is just sort of out the ass here trying to find the thematic connections and politicize a very vapid kid but...

rubberdingyrapids
30-11-2016, 03:54 PM
not really read the piece yet as am at work but nihilism, and all the other vacuous shit the weeknd espouses are no longer fringe or edgy pursuits (IMO), they are more or less right there in the mainstream. i know ppl like anything a tad 'controversial' but theres also a line i think, and i think the weeknd is kind of about a society thats a little sick, doesnt help that his shtick is so rote now either....

CrowleyHead
30-11-2016, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I honestly felt that once he did "Echoes of Silence", as a writer he was working to actually humanize the nihilism, pointing to actually describing and wrestling with the feelings of hollow loneliness. And then after that he did the proper album Kissland which like, was truly kind of just braindead. Since then its constantly waffled around between giving up the cliches and then running right back to them in desperation.

Corpsey
01-12-2016, 10:13 AM
I just think the weeknd is as bland as fuck. Thinks he's Michael Jackson these days but his voice is more like Thom Yorke. Soppy.

His latest music is so bland, presumably why he's become a ubiquitous radio star. Don't really care if he's singing about coke and models he's on the level of coldplay to me.

I liked his old music but that was really all about the production.

Saying that I'm usually of the opinion that popularity indicates at least some sort of merit so I'm probably not OTM here

sufi
01-12-2016, 11:14 AM
and Tinashe is still knocking out some good singles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp-PPYPdK5k

sorry for multiple posts it wouldn't let me do three videos in one :/
:eek: I much preferred the demure Tinashe in "my friends are wasted (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3mrYxPLSH4)", and that tune too

rubberdingyrapids
01-12-2016, 11:20 AM
first weekend album actually had a lot of good songs. i dont buy the 'writing in character' cop out. the other thing is when hes trying to write about 'the trap' or whatever, it just sounds so silly (though im sure someone will say this is what makes it clear he is 'in character'). the single with daft punk is beyond irredeemable. the bland thing is often true - not surprising he got asked to do a song for 50 shades (though i actually thought this wasnt as bland as his other stuff)

Corpsey
01-12-2016, 11:31 AM
I Can't Feel My Face was a belter, albeit super manufactured and soulless and another wannabe Jacko song.

But you could tell that one was written by someone else cos on most of his tunes he's using the same old melodies.

rubberdingyrapids
01-12-2016, 11:46 AM
max martin wrote it.
which might explain why it sounded like it could have come out in 1991.
one thing that bugs me about the SR piece is that it basically says the weeknd can either do the anodyne mechanical vacuity he does already, or be 'woke', as if theres nothing in between, between being politicised and being an asshole lol.

CrowleyHead
01-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Well everyone's reaching desperately for some arch narrative in lieu of this year in politics and like... You're not going to find it in something like Weeknd who's always kind of railed on the same thing. Not in a direct reference to the times. Its been "I'm sad as fuck, lemme take these pills" for the whole of the Obama Administration with him pretty much, I don't think any sense of the world around him is resulting in any less or more depression. Cue some cut-out thinkpiece on millenial self-involvement but I digress...

The funniest thing is that Reynolds instantly takes up the banter about this being a Bowie tribute and that's why he kind of forces the weirmar/Thin White Duke analogies which is a bit predictable. The first thing I thought of when he said his album was called Starboy was this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V--4E5iVHQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It reminded me how a lot of Toronto's doing the faux-dancehall music (The Drake camp obviously who Abel has his on-again/off-again relationship with in particular), and Weeknd did cod-reggae on "Heaven or Los Vegas" and he did inexplicable patois on "King of the Fall". Is there that vibe anywhere on the LP or no, because it seems perfectly logical for him to make that jump.

rubberdingyrapids
01-12-2016, 12:35 PM
say your album is inspired by bowie and you have instant rock critic interest, no matter what it sounds like. also, does anyone really think bowie's fame is 'harrowing'?

CrowleyHead
01-12-2016, 12:45 PM
It can be for the famous person. IDK, maybe Reynolds is transferring book tour anxiety ;)

Corpsey
10-12-2016, 07:04 PM
New THE DREAM EP

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Aalbum%3A1J2MDJ5a8MuCVBWpXkwfIl" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

sadmanbarty
02-04-2017, 09:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvtwcXhNqP4

entertainment
10-04-2017, 12:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dEAnpGnVP8

This guy produced some stuff on Chance the Rapper's latest album. It's a bit skinny maybe, but I like the sound of the guitar.

Corpsey
10-04-2017, 08:02 PM
<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Atrack%3A1F2HXIJrE2Xn81OzT2zZvW" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

The Weeknd blatantly wrote this, right?

I was gonna do a post about the Weeknd cos someone semi converted me to that 'I Feel It Coming' tune when I was high on drugs and I decided not to, scrolled upthread and saw my previous comments. I guess he must be doing something right, although a bit like Ed Sheeran is doing something right.

sadmanbarty
12-01-2018, 12:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFr11MdK5wk

musicmarie
08-03-2018, 03:35 PM
check out some r&B that's WAY under the radar :)

https://www.rachelmariesounds.com/

https://soundcloud.com/rachelmarieluv
https://soundcloud.com/rachelmarieluv/finger-lickin-good
My New Promo Team (https://www.pushpowerpromo.com/get-soundcloud-promotion)

luka
16-03-2018, 06:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6y29dYJriU

Corpsey
19-10-2018, 10:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHZVV02osIw

yyaldrin
08-01-2019, 07:38 AM
the-dream just put out a 40 track triple album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAPQrsLUHJ0

Corpsey
08-01-2019, 09:09 AM
Been putting off listening to that cos its 40 fucking tracks long

But I have heard it might be worth it

I guess now more than ever we need an R Kelly substitute :eek:

Corpsey
08-01-2019, 09:10 AM
On the subject of which

Am I not allowed to enjoy Ignition RMX anymore? Seems a terrible shame

I didn't mind when the Lost Prophets bloke turned out to be evil

CrowleyHead
08-01-2019, 11:07 PM
I mean Ignition RMX sucked so you'll live.

Corpsey
09-01-2019, 09:02 AM
BOUNCE-BOUNCE-BOUNCE-BOUNCE-BOUNCE-BOUNCE-BOUNCE

Corpsey
10-01-2019, 08:27 AM
Been putting off listening to that cos its 40 fucking tracks long

But I have heard it might be worth it

I guess now more than ever we need an R Kelly substitute :eek:

I listened to the first 10 or so tracks of this playing Spyro the Dragon yesterday evening and its pretty damn good. Nothing standing out but consistently singalongable.

Corpsey
29-01-2019, 07:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e9diL0xTN4

This is from last year DUH

real earwormy hook

Corpsey
14-02-2019, 02:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHErAbpLXP4

Jacquees - Wow (2019)

mch
17-02-2019, 04:14 PM
https://soundcloud.com/ojerime/civilian-on-heat?in=ojerime/sets/4uep