Barriers to Entry.

luka

I've really loved going through all the top 100s recently but in they all have some stuff on them that I just can't process. its like trying to eat cold sick.

I think there's probably specific things, triggers, that specifically trigger me.

Like throaty rock vocals for instance. Or pogo stick rhythms (gabba etc boing boing boing). Or shredding. Or pretty much any guitar solo. Pantomime stuff is usually a turn off, all the heavy metal lineage and that sort of carry on.

I can't be bothered thinking of any more right now so you think of some instead

luka

Whimsicality is a big turn off. Sgt. pepper. Robert what. Faust. Can't stand that sort of thing.

blissblogger

it's a good question, or an eternal puzzlement - how come people don't like the same things? how did we get like that? surely if something is good / tasty, then everybody ought to agree that they like to hear it, or eat it

you can bet that someone, somewhere, enjoys the taste of cold sick. and someone else is, like 'no, warm sick, that is much more preferable'. and they'll be fighting bitterly over the virtues of warm versus cold sick.

there is almost certainly a whole community of people out there whose fetish is eating sick - most likely direct from the horse's mouth, as it were. but perhaps there is a fringe group into the cold sick.

they've found each other online and they have a little Dissensus of their own debating the various modalities of vomit, how best served, what temperature, what consistency...

i'm sorry - i've digressed from what are actually serious and interesting questions that Luke has raised.

i mean, how is disagreement possible on aesthetics, or taste in the gustatory sense? from what does it arise?

the food thing is even more mysterious in a way than musical taste or sexual taste

because i can't explain why e.g. i love anchovies but no one else in my family will go near them.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
To me what separates musical taste from taste in food is that nobody can argue me into thinking coconut tastes nice, or that chocolate is shit really.

This is a question which constantly (irritatingly) occupies me.

I think a lot of taste is bound up with one's sense of identity. If you heard some music in a vacuum you might like it: this being the real world, you don't want to be the sort of person that likes Coldplay, e.g.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The comparison with food might be that a foodie can recommend you the best food, which you might not believe is better than McDonalds, until you've had it, after which you realise McDonalds is shit

muser

To me what separates musical taste from taste in food is that nobody can argue me into thinking coconut tastes nice, or that chocolate is shit really.

This is a question which constantly (irritatingly) occupies me.

I think a lot of taste is bound up with one's sense of identity. If you heard some music in a vacuum you might like it: this being the real world, you don't want to be the sort of person that likes Coldplay, e.g.

I'd argue in some cases with food you could trick someone into being exposed to a flavour they don't like and enjoy it..but then if it's because it's mixed with other flavours maybe that doesn't count.

Coriander is an interesting one, lots of people hate it because they actually have a gene that makes it taste like soap... I think I read a high percentage of people in scandinavian countries have this gene.

muser

I've never liked metal even though allot of my peers were metallers at school, mainly because the vocals and general aesthetics didn't appeal to me.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Whimsicality is a big turn off. Sgt. pepper. Robert what. Faust. Can't stand that sort of thing.

Barriers to entry are

Keys to personality

We all have different brains - not to mention experiences, memories, associations.

It's an interesting thing cos I think we seek communion through music - even if we want to define ourselves by our taste, we want others to share it - otherwise it feels like you could be deluded.

Last edited:

droid

there is almost certainly a whole community of people out there whose fetish is eating sick - most likely direct from the horse's mouth, as it were. but perhaps there is a fringe group into the cold sick.

they've found each other online and they have a little Dissensus of their own debating the various modalities of vomit, how best served, what temperature, what consistency...

This IS Dissensus.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
You can teach yourself to like certain foods, though, if you try hard enough. Just repeatedly exposing yourself to them, forcing yourself to focus on the good bits and suppressing the urge to gag at the bad bits until that becomes the new normal.

I generally can't get on with anything involving that yelpy wibbly overly-theatrical style of vocals, but I reckon that if I just listened to loads of that sort of stuff over the course of a couple of months I'd reach a point where it doesn't seem weird any more, and eventually start to appreciate it in its own right.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I can't think of any definable aesthetic that I dislike out of the top 100s on principle. I dislike autotune these days because it's used in a whingy emo fashion, but it doesn't always have to be like that:

edit: youtube link down but it's an algerian rai song using autotune called Cheba Djenet - Laaroussa.

What i don't understand is why people tend to recoil from too much noisy machine like technoid electronic music with little melodic content. to me that's the whole point really. melodic electronic music is mostly euro trancerock in the veign of tangerine dream, which was appropriate for the 70s mostly but doesn't really translate outside of that context. of course detroit techno is an exception here but even then the best detroit stuff is as much funky as it is bluesy/jazzy.

I also don't really understand why it's ok to tribalistically commit to dancehall but as soon as something like grime goes mainstream it's the devils spawn. i don't like 2010s grime mostly and i don't really like 2010s dancehall pop. but 90s mainstream ragga is and was killer.

Last edited:

version

I think the only tunes that I absolutely cannot picture myself listening to are the Usher and Mariah Carey ones from Craner's list.

version

It's not the aesthetic though, I just think they're weak songs. There's nothing that draws me in, the Usher one in particular is the epitome of blandness to my ears whereas something like "Yeah" has a hook, the synth is sick etc.