LISTS

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I would like to know of any good/useful lists of music online i.e. ''Top 5000 Northern Soul Records'', ''Top 254.4 Prog-Dancehall Songs Inciting Violence Against Heterosexuals'' and so on. Ideally these lists would include lovely little bits of writing to explain each choice but it doesn't matter if they don't. I just want the goods. Woebot's Top 100 Records ever has been a goldmine for me, and I want more gold.

I know a lot of people sneer at lists as being fundamentally pointless and encouraging a bad attitude towards music. But I love them. I will post my top 200 reasons why I love them later.

Also would be good if Dissensians posted up little lists of their own i.e. Luka's Top 20 Lex Luger beats, droids top 20 jungle, Andy_M/Benny B/Tim F's top 20 funky tunes etc. It would be fun and informative/tedious and pointless. And might spark debate.

That thread about top 10 grime MCs/producers was great, ADMIT IT. Lists are the music nerds lifeblood. I would be more interested in the Bible if Moses had brought down ''The Top 10 Morrissey Lyrics'' carved into a tablet.

Some days I sit listening to music writing long lists which nobody will ever read. Many of these pertain to my own psychological problems (''1. needs to make lists all the time...'')

DannyL

Wild Horses
Acid Archives has some wicked lists of psych, US private press stuff and general weirdness. The whole book is one big list:
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/el84/the_acid_archives___the_authors_favourites
The above lacks the capsule reviews the book has but is worth reading.

So does anyone ever complete lists? I often have started with that intention but pretty much always get distracted. I've heard 15 of the records in that AA list and I own 12 of them on vinyl, with only one being an original, the rest represses. I am okay with this because the OG is Mandrake Memorial and it is basically fucking awesome.

Last edited:

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Corpsey, have you read this?

51F3JNW2GEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Shit is stupid fesh (I like that typo. It stays). Quite aside from year-by-year breakdowns of best singles and albums (1979-1998 - it was published in 1999), you get all sorts of silliness and insight, too. (Sample lists: People Ricky Powell wishes he could have gotten zooted with, Inspectah Deck picks his favourite professional wrestlers of all time, 10 Hip-House songs that don't suck.) Also, the lists aren't ranked, so number 1 isn't the 'best', it's just the first one they thought of. This is a good thing.

In short - if you like rap AND lists, you need this. Pleasingly, the good folks of egotrip are still churning out new lists to this day. For instance, 12 lyrics about, um, nuts (I liked number 8 best):

1. “And I don’t hang out as much/ Bang out dope cuts/ Standing on stage and I’m grabbing my nuts.”
Ice Cube – “What They Hittin’ Foe?” (Priority, 1990)

2. “Bitches ain’t shit but hoes and tricks/ Lick on these nuts and suck the dick.”
Dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg, Tha Dogg Pound & Jewell – “Bitches Ain’t Shit” (Death Row, 1992)

3. “Flow is so nuts, the track is getting tea-bagged.”
Lupe Fiasco – “S.L.R. (Super Lupe Rap)” (Internet single, 2010)

4. “Forklift lifting my nuts up/ ’Cause it’s going to be a very big nut bust.”
Big Sean ft. Travis Barker – “Big Nut Bust” (Let the Drummer Get Wicked Vol. 1 Mixtape w/ DJ Whoo Kid, 2010)

5. “Get off my niggy niggy nuts!/ Get off my niggy niggy nuts!/ Get off my niggy niggy nuts!”
LL Cool J – “Niggy Nuts” (Def Jam, 2002)

6. “Gettin down for mine’s bitch/ No nuts no glory.”
Geto Boys – “No Nuts No Glory” (Rap-A-Lot, 1995)

7. “I don’t know if they fags or what/ Search a n*gga down and grabbin’ his nuts.”
N.W.A – “Fuck the Police” (Ruthless, 1988)

8. “I make only cream with the God supreme/ Life is real, reality is not a dream/ Those who chose to sleep, I wake em up/ ‘Cause you’re sleepin’ with your mouth open hummin’ deez nuts”
King Sun – “Humm Deez Nuts” (Cold Chillin’, 1994)

9. “Knew Pu was dope ever since I was semen/ Swimmin’ in my daddy’s big nuts/ But now I’m scoopin’ girls with the big ol’ butts.”
Brand Nubian – “Step To the Rear” (Elektra, 1990)

10. “Red-handed, the Nuts have landed/ Bustin’ nuts in bitches’ guts/ And then leavin’’em stranded.”
The Beatnuts – “Yeah You Get Props” (Relativity, 1994)

11. “Well, them two grown-ass men living together on my nuts/ And that’s you right above them/ Get the fuck off them!”
Eminem – “Get Off My Nuts” (Shady/Aftermath, 2009)

12. “You see me coming down the block with the funky cuts/ You say, Mike D, and I say Mike Deez Nuts.”
Beastie Boys – “Do It” (Grand Royal, 1994)

Link to original article because it's probably copywritten: http://www.egotripland.com/nut-rap-lyrics/#more-4455

gumdrops

that cipha sounds list looks right up my street. been listening to a lot of late 90 nyc rap lately. the ego trip book is amazing. their big book of racism is good too. i have the rolling stones rock lists but the writing i find a bit annoying. and the lists are a bit boring. i thought people were listed out these days as we see so many of them all the time but yeah i still like them, esp for genres/things i dont know that much about. and the ones i do know about, i like them just to argue about them. in my head. no one else wants to discuss lists like i do. i like looking at lists like those in turn that beat around though they make me think fuck, i need more of these records. which is depressing. lists just make you want more.

muser

I love lists, I never patricilary feel the need to make them though. Apart from when I was buying vinyl or finding lots of things I wanted to download. Ed(ward) DMX has a a great Acid House Mix list, i think it was on pitchfork.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I like the northern soul list with the made up records in in that people then claimed to have.

http://www.6ts.info/randy/music.htm

Also the Nurse With Wound list which allegedly has some made up things in it although some people claim to have found them all - which led to other people saying that this could be due to bands giving themselves names from the list.

I reckon that I like lists with a bit extra like that - certainly never read end of year lists (possibly because they seem to be compiled more out of a sense of duty and box-ticking than anything else), although I saw a book in Waterstones the other day called 100 Cult Books or something which I thought looked interesting. Fact magazine was always pretty good for lists, every issue had a top twenty in a given genre by someone who was into that genre. That was always the first thing I read. I never see Fact around any more though, is it just online now?

gumdrops

theres huge lists books like the 1000 best films, 1000 best books, 1000 best albums etc. the bfi does little pocket size list books of best indie films, best shakespeare films, etcetc (varying quality tho - the soundtracks one was the worst).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I reckon that I like lists with a bit extra like that - certainly never read end of year lists (possibly because they seem to be compiled more out of a sense of duty and box-ticking than anything else), although I saw a book in Waterstones the other day called 100 Cult Books or something which I thought looked interesting. Fact magazine was always pretty good for lists, every issue had a top twenty in a given genre by someone who was into that genre. That was always the first thing I read. I never see Fact around any more though, is it just online now?

I think Fact is just online. Annoyingly they took off some of those top 20 lists, or at least i can't find them....there was one on underground disco and obscure krautrock that were brilliant, but i forgot to look up all the records at the time...

craner

Beast of Burden
Paul Morley lists are always disappointing, apart from the list of books he wrote on the Welcome To The Pleasuredome gatefold sleeve, which was pretty good.