play craner new rap music

luka

let's play craner some more modern rap music and he will tell us his response to it in depth in his scintillating, sexy prose and with his typical incision, intelligence and aesthetic sensitivity

craner

Beast of Burden
Don’t worry my girlfriend hates rap, Jungle and techno, have to negotiate the Gang Starr and Ray Keith cds in the car....

craner

Beast of Burden
Can’t help my amazing taste

Golden Age hip hop
70s disco
80s soul
Electro
70s rock
Electro
Um...golden age
Italian soundtracks
Motown
70s sexy soul
Post Punnk
New Romantic bollocks

luka

mate, the point of the thread, which you welcomed enthusaiastically, is to listen to the song and talk about it. we already know you like mobb deep.

luka

what do you mean by that? what are the similarities? and what element(s) has been toned down to make it less extreme?

craner

Beast of Burden
lol, they are very different, was messing around.

I read Reynold’s amazing Autotune piece today which helped me understand 21st Century music, fits into my previous data/visual/decadence/apocalypse fixation from the Noughties. I realise those trends were mere seeds for the madness around now, yet I have less feel for it. Like I glutted on the madness too early and became desensitised to its real fruition. Even in politics: the 2000s were a mere taster for now, and I got so immersed that it’s all a glaze. I exhausted myself.

CrowleyHead

luka

lol, they are very different, was messing around.

I read Reynold’s amazing Autotune piece today which helped me understand 21st Century music, fits into my previous data/visual/decadence/apocalypse fixation from the Noughties. I realise those trends were mere seeds for the madness around now, yet I have less feel for it. Like I glutted on the madness too early and became desensitised to its real fruition. Even in politics: the 2000s were a mere taster for now, and I got so immersed that it’s all a glaze. I exhausted myself.

this thread is an attempt to revive you. bring that jaded palette back to life...
and crowley! stop hogging it!

craner

Beast of Burden
I will watch those in a minute but I remember after I came back from the South with my Dad Luka showed me a terrifying video by Young Jeezy and some other rapper from (I think) Baton Rouge. In Atlanta, when we got lost down town I’d waded confidently into a convenience store in an obviously dodgy area to ask for directions to the hotel. Spread my map across the counter and put on my best entitled Hugh Grant accent, and it was fine, while my Dad slightly cowered in the car. When I showed him the videos Luke sent me weeks later he had a weird quasi-racist fit, strange for a Baby Boomer liberal jazz, soul and blues obsessive.

One of my favourites, Alexander O’Neill is from Natchez which, by the way, is a lovely town.

craner

Beast of Burden
I know I have to get over my personal Killah Priest canon/obsession, but he is the gift that keeps giving.

Weirdly I was listening to The Dirty Version in the car today, he gets 3 guest spots on that and none are great at all so it’s amazing he got to BIBLE, 4th Chamber and then the entirety of Heavy Mental so fast!