Movie Soundtracks Scores Songs

luka

this should be part of the 90s series. so many boring musicians of the era were talking about
trying to make film scores without films. name checking john barry ad nauseum.

version

The Popol Vuh soundtrack for Aguirre, the Wrath of God made much more of an impression on me than the film, although there are some scenes like the opening mountain descent that really stick in the memory.

luka

definitely. herzogs films are rubbish. hes got no imagination. plodding literalist
and everything he makes looks like a tv drama. i did like grizzly man though,
well funny, so i'll allow him to carry on making docos.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
definitely. herzogs films are rubbish. hes got no imagination. plodding literalist

Ah come on, there's some imaginative shots in Aguirre - the opening shot, the circling of the raft invaded by monkeys, both spring to mind. The soundtrack in both cases makes it ten times better, but that's part of a director's remit.

I remember liking his Nosferatu but I can't remember a thing about it now.

Soundtrack wise, the best soundtrack in recent years wot I'm aware of is 'Under the Skin' by Mica Levi.

I really liked the soundtrack to 'Gone Girl'.

My favourite soundtrack to listen to while walking around London pretending I'm in some sort of epic fantasy is The Lord of the Rings.

And another favourite is of course Jurassic Park.

Leo

did i already post this there? or did you? if so, my bad...and if not, then yes, deserves to be there.

rubberdingyrapids

Haha

Watch his bad lieutenant.

Good scores-
good time (OPN)
Kaidan (takamitsu)
Bright future (kiyoshi kurosawa film - i dunno who did the music but it's great)
Anything by Bernard herrmann
Pather panchali
Sorcerer
Young and dangerous

version

re: Herzog - I'm a fan, but he can be incredibly joyless and boring. I enjoyed Rescue Dawn, Encounters at the End of the World, Grizzly Man, Bad Lieutenant and others, but found Stroszek, Heart of Glass, Aguirre and Nosferatu pretty dull despite each having their moments.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
all early John Carpenter obviously. boggles the mind a bit that he did the soundtracks himself basically to save $ and wound up creating an entire ouevre of beloved early minimal synth

some other very obvious choices for me - Blade Runner, Akira, etc

some less immediately obvious ones - this is probably my favorite bit of Philip Glass. great movie, also.

Platoon obv a much better movie but this is a better soundtrack. I've always thought someone should've sampled the beginning into a darkside jungle classic a la Ricky or Scottie.

another couple bits where I very well-known classical music is used really well, esp Das Rheingold in The New World

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
v much unsurprised by luka's reverse snobbery Herzog take

I'm an unabashed Herzog lover b/c ofc I am but I do agree w/version that he can be uneven

I think p much everything w/Kinski is great, esp Fitzcarraldo, but they're not for everyone

otoh Stroszek, Heart of Glass, yeah boring, and inscrutable in a bad way