Scritti Politti

N

nomadologist

I don't know, Sloane. I rather like my music to be full of lyrics full of words that have three or more syllables and summarize the theory I'm reading in Intro to Continental Philosophy.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Ok, for starters I'll give everyone 'Confidence', good tune, lovely, but the rest? It's music for sixth formers that aren't getting laid, of all ages. And if a music is only as good as its imitators, then who has imitated Green? and don't give me all that 'he's a unique artist' stuff. He gave the world the Pet Shop Boys.

swears

preppy-kei
...if a music is only as good as its imitators, then who has imitated Green? and don't give me all that 'he's a unique artist' stuff. He gave the world the Pet Shop Boys.

Miles Davis covered Perfect Way, they worked with Roger Troutman and Chaka Khan, they raised the bar for pop production, you can hear their influence on albums like Janet Jackson's Control. And now you have bands like Hot Chip and The Junior Boys citing them as an influence.

You sir, are a buffoon!

DJL

i'm joking
I've just been getting into Scritti Politti through the 'Early' compilation. They are amazing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"I have a soft-spot for Scritti Politti because they’re easily the worst fucking band of all time, but they’re so earnest and serious that making fun of them would be like criticizing a little kid’s letter to his dying mom." - Dr. David Thorpe - http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=2734

(I've never knowingly heard anything by them, I just really liked this quote.)

N

nomadologist

hahaha. well, someone whose taste in music i respect more than anyone's sent me "early" six months ago when i asked why everyone in the blogosphere was suddenly on about scritti politti. i have never disliked something more that had received such accolades from people whose taste usually aligned with mine on music.

it seriously reminded me of ani difranco or alanis morrissette if they were males who grew up reading superhero comic books, practiced "brooding" in the mirror, and eventually majored in philosophy without really doing any reading to sound smart, instead of pissed off lilith fair "feminists." they have the same penchant for squeezing as many lyrics into one bar or measure of music as possible, thus killing anything pleasantly "pop" about the melodies and making them sound clunky and overwrought, and the same overdose of earnest that the lilith crew suffer from.

i'd love to change my mind, if anyone could point out music they wrote where they didn't use words like "hegemony" (i'm sorry, but nothing that calls itself a pop song has any business including this word, let alone using it for an entire chorus) and naming songs after theorists. if you don't know why naming a pop/rock song "derrida" is vomitously ridiculous, then i don't know what to tell you...

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

OMG THIS IS THE FUNNIEST thing i've read in forever:

The English post-punk band Gang of Four is cashing in all their commie credibility with another suspiciously-timed reunion. Even though they haven’t released an LP in ten years, they’re at virtually the pinnacle of their fame right now, thanks to lazy “journalists” like me comparing all these new bands with thin ties and angular riffs and new wave haircuts to Gang of Four. It may sound unbefitting of a band of Marxist intellectuals to get back together just because they’ve been getting posthumous press attention, but it shouldn’t come as much of a shock. These are the same guys who, after having a minor club hit with “I Love a Man in Uniform,” got all excited and re-tooled their sound to appeal to the type of people who love minor club hits. They’re going to be playing Coachella later this year along with Bauhaus and the Cocteau Twins, so if you attend the festival you’ll surely see plenty of balding, malnourished ex-college radio DJs standing stock still due to a morbid fear of social dance (and, let’s face it, due to being really, really white).

that link is priceless, mr. tea. those pictures of scritti politti--who i'd thankfully never had the displeasure of seeing before--prove that my gut reaction to them was right on.

this mr awful guy dr. david thorpe guy is like the new love of my life

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
He's great. Read his reviews of albums by The Mars Volta, they're hilarious. Also check out his articles on System Of A Down and his follow-up in which he replies to reader mail. (In the first article he says "If you think I'm wrong and want to tell me why, please feel free to mail me. By the way, I've set a filter on my mail account to reject any mail not headed 'EMAIL FROM A RETARD, PLEASE IGNORE'".)

N

nomadologist

i'm going to have to brace myself for the mars volta and system of a down reviews. my coworkers will think i'm crazy if they hear me cackling that hard

N

nomadologist

ok, just went and listened to every clip of theirs from Cupid and Psyche. whoa. that's some chintsy blue-eyed prince for you. no, wait: it's more like MOR's Prince.

Last edited:

gumdrops

i dont get how scritti politti get so much crit-love for their sugary glossy ultra shiny and processed vocals but everyone hates R&B artists for doing that.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Because it's see that when black people do it they're aspiring to sophistication, while when white people do it they are sophisticated. Sad really.

N

nomadologist

uck, and why do white musicians with those vocals and overall sonics have to sound like Steely Dan's dumber, more AM-radio friendly retarded stepchild while doing it, gumdrops?