Top 10 Hip-Hop LPs of the 2010s

Woebot

c'mon you beautiful bastards.

tell me what your fave ten long-players of this decade are.

sadmanbarty

My knowledge of Hip Hop after about 1998 is minimal. It was only after hearing Young Thug last year that I got interested in newer stuff and I have been backtracking from there. So I’ll post this with the caveat that it is a top 10 by and for the rap non-fan.

In no particular order:

1017 Thug

Yeezus

Ds2

Danny Brown- xxx

Azealia Banks- Fantasea

Narf- Sick

Father- Who’s Gonna Get Fucked First

Viper- Yo Side Thang & Main Thang Holdin’ Me

Black Kray- Soulja Luv Rari World

M.B.E- Have A Party

[edit . 3 edits in as many days. 1017 replaced barter 6, Fantsea replaced earl sweatshirt earl and MBE replaced death grips- money store]

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Something like:

waka flocka flame - FLOCKAVELI (it should be written in capitals)

kendrick lamar - Overly Dedicated

roc marciano - reloaded

danny brown - XXX

curren$y - pilot talk

rick ross - rich forever

future: monster

chief keef - back from the dead

juicy j - rubba band business 2

rich gang - the tour vol 1

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Feel bad not including MBDTF by Kanye but I've never been that into it. Keep seeing it getting praised though so i probably should revisit.

rubberdingyrapids

chief keef - back from the dead 2 (the rapping isnt what you would call 'great' but hes got personality, and hes one of the most interesting producers around right now IMO, i wish he produced more)
dj quik and kurupt - blaqkout (spacey, west coast funk rap)
YG - my krazy life (basically a document of the mustard sound, and an update of traditional west coast rap)
vince staples - summertime
earl sweatshirt - earl (i like this and the vince staples one just as displays of brilliant, characterful rapping, even john cale likes earl)
future - ds2 (never been that sold on future, but this is his best album i think, simply as hes not being that mopey, and and the beats are truly monstrous)
telemachus - in the evening (this is a british producer, the songs with rappers on here arent great, but if you delete them, the album becomes an excellent modern trip hop-ish instrumental set)
young thug - 1017 thug (this is still his best release IMO, just cos IMO its the only one where the production consistently matches what he does as a rapper)
kanye - yeezus

Woebot

chief keef - back from the dead 2 (the rapping isnt what you would call 'great' but hes got personality, and hes one of the most interesting producers around right now IMO, i wish he produced more)
dj quik and kurupt - blaqkout (spacey, west coast funk rap)
YG - my krazy life (basically a document of the mustard sound, and an update of traditional west coast rap)
vince staples - summertime
earl sweatshirt - earl (i like this and the vince staples one just as displays of brilliant, characterful rapping, even john cale likes earl)
future - ds2 (never been that sold on future, but this is his best album i think, simply as hes not being that mopey, and and the beats are truly monstrous)
telemachus - in the evening (this is a british producer, the songs with rappers on here arent great, but if you delete them, the album becomes an excellent modern trip hop-ish instrumental set)
young thug - 1017 thug (this is still his best release IMO, just cos IMO its the only one where the production consistently matches what he does as a rapper)
kanye - yeezus

thanks very much rdr. duly noted.

mucho maas

Um, no Kendrick chaps? Surely an oversight...

Not got the energy to whittle a full list, but a few I'd include:

Heems- Eat Pray Thug
Big K.R.I.T.- Cadillactica
Fat Trel- SDMG
J Cole- Born Sinner

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I included 'O.D' because that's my favourite of the Kendrick projects I've heard, but realistically 'Good Kid Maad City', 'Section 80' and 'To Pimp a Butterfly' would all be in with a shout. He's made at least four highly cohesive, challenging and often beautiful LPs. Actually, counting 'Untitled/Unmastered', 5!

mucho maas

Ah, missed that- scrolled right on by! Yeah, this really could be Top-Ten-Not-Made-By-Kdot. Couple more:

Travis Porter- S.A.Q.
Shabazz Palaces- Lese Majesty
Freddie Gibbs/Madlib- Piñata (perhaps a hip/obvious choice, but probably my favourite of the lot)

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I should revisit Piñata. I like Madlib and I don't really like Freddie Gibbs much aside from 'Still Livin''. I mean, I think he's a very decent paper, but I am not grabbed by his voice all that much.

CrowleyHead

Tree - Sunday School
Future - True Story
Chief Keef - Bang 2
YG - My Krazy Life
Tyler, The Creator - Wolf
Young Thug - I Came From Nothing 2
Gucci Mane - The Movie Pt. 3: The Brrrprint
Waka Flocka Flame - Flockavelli
Danny Brown - XXX
YFN Lucci - Wish Me Well

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Forgot about 'Sunday School'!

Would have included Burrprint 3D but I believe it was released 2009? As were all Gucci's classic tapes (same goes for Max B).

Will seek out some of those others.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
LD, Monkey and Dimzy's "6.7" is the best of the Brixton Drill stuff I think so far :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fm5sZT93sKY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Young Thug : Barter 6

Earl Sweatshirt : I don't like shit, I don't go outside

The first two songs off of Lese Majesty by Shabazz Palaces are fantastic, super super super mushroom trippy, especially the way they segue into each other. Rest is meh but worth it for those two.

CasIsDead's "Commercial 2" mixtape is wonderful, Cas rapping over dreamy dated electro house.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P2j0tBjixYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief Keef's Bang 3 wasn't released in this form but someone compiled an imaginary version of it here, which I really like.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ef8I08HBfF4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I loved Lil Reese's Supa Savage 2, it's just super solid, and is probably my most played thing on this list bar the Thug.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yy-_H0-kRMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>