I need your TECH HELP

martin

----
OK, I am completely stumped and need some tech advice.

I've asked some people on here for help regarding this, which they've kindly given, but unfortunately the methods / links haven't worked.

Basically - I want to transfer 3,000+ emails (incl. subfolders) and contacts from a work Outlook account to an Outlook.com email address (equally, it could be to a Yahoo account, though somebody's told me it's not possible, and most google searches lead to people hawking some expensive file conversion software). That's not only contacts, but emails as well.

I have created a .pst file of all emails and contacts. So, presumably, all I need to do is import it into the Outlook.com account...except...
The help pages all seem to suggest you can only import contacts, using a .csv file.

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible, as I'm IT-retarded: I just want some way of making all the emails on my work account appear on my Outlook.com account, without having to forward them all.

Does anyone know a way to do this? Is it even possible? I've looked up loads of tech forums but none of them specifically address this - I can't be the only person who wants to import a .pst file and have a record of all emails on another account?

Would really appreciate any feedback, especially if a 10-year old could follow it - I spent my IT classes in school messing around, so I 'get' hardcore tech-talk like I get Ancient Sumerian. Cheers in advance...

martin

----
Sorry I wasnt of more help previously. Tell me, can you set up your new email account in outlook on your desktop?

If so, this should work: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...pst-file-431a8e9a-f99f-4d5f-ae48-ded54b3440ac

No, don't apologise, your link helped me set up the .pst file fine. It's just after that I fell into the headfuck zone.

I'm not sure re: the account. Do you mean like the Outlook 'viewer' as opposed to the website? Would that mean having to buy a separate 'viewer' package?

droid

Nope, I mean in the Outlook application in windows as opposed to a browser based version. If you have outlook on your computer you can set up as many email accounts as you like, doesn't cost anything.

sufi

lala
I'd have thought you need unfortunately something like this: https://www.msoutlook.info/question/upload-pst-file-to-outlookcom

basically set up outlook.com to access the same email account as yr work outlook (you'll need to give it server details and pw etc) we call it the IMAP shuffle

the CSV import is perhaps a red herring as that wd only do your contacts, not the emails themselves. PSTs are a complete pain in the arse

martin

----
Nope, I mean in the Outlook application in windows as opposed to a browser based version. If you have outlook on your computer you can set up as many email accounts as you like, doesn't cost anything.

It's taken me this long to figure out what you mean. OK, I have the app on a laptop, I will try and connect it to the browser version this weekend. Wish me much luck. Thanks Droid and Sufi for your help - not so bothered about emails coming out of their folders, just want the damn thing to move them! Cheers.

droid

You dont have to connect it really. Just add a new account in your desktop version - email address, password imap details. Once thats done import the PST into the new account.

martin

----
OK, back with more tech-unsavvy pleas for help...

I'm getting a new PC laptop as this one's 11 years old and falling to bits. Thing is, I want Photoshop, Adobe PDF reader/maker and InDesign. These were put on my PC by a work IT guy who possibly didn't secure licenses for them, but it's a bit hard to ask him now as he's dead. So I don't think I can transfer them, and our new work IT guy's a complete prick who won't fix us up with hooky software as it goes against his 'ethics'.

Anyway, in the old days, you could just download UTorrent and grab PS/iD for free, but I understand that's been banned for years. So, does anyone know if I can get a copy of PS/ID for lower than the usual fee, or even for free? Also, can you even get them anymore, or is it only available as a temporary monthly hire option? Seeing mixed messages on this. Any assistance would be much appreciated...

catalog

You can get them still, but it's a pain in the arse cos they've all gone to a sub, pay monthly model. So u can never own em in perpetuity. I get a licence thru work to creative cloud, which is the whole suite, so don't need a bent copy. If you do want the bent copy, you'll need to find them on a bit torrent tracker and probably need keys for them etc. And the main thing: whenever u use them, you'll need to make sure you don't let em update, cos at that point they'll stop working. A mate sent me a link to a think that disables them talking to Adobe, so I could dig out the email for you, but it was such a palava I never bothered. I'm on mac tho so different again. Good luck!

martin

----
You can get them still, but it's a pain in the arse cos they've all gone to a sub, pay monthly model. So u can never own em in perpetuity. I get a licence thru work to creative cloud, which is the whole suite, so don't need a bent copy. If you do want the bent copy, you'll need to find them on a bit torrent tracker and probably need keys for them etc. And the main thing: whenever u use them, you'll need to make sure you don't let em update, cos at that point they'll stop working. A mate sent me a link to a think that disables them talking to Adobe, so I could dig out the email for you, but it was such a palava I never bothered. I'm on mac tho so different again. Good luck!

Cheers - sucks about the rental model. I could ask work for licenses, but worry that anything I write on Word, design on PS, etc, could get viewed by work via the cloud (maybe this can't happen, but I get para about these things)...

Used to have a Macbook, was that blocker called Little Snitch? Remember that from the days when it took about 5 minutes to pirate anything and everything you could find.

catalog

Yeah I wouldn't worry about work spying on you, they would not be able to see anything you make I don't think, as long as you save if elsewhere. Cos that would be a huge privacy breach I would have thought. Also can't really see how they would spy. I've been using indesign for all my zines recently, makes them a lot easier to sort out. Yeah little snitch sounds about right, i just checked and I've no email with the deets, think it got sent over WhatsApp which I've since deleted. But the site that works for cracks, i'll pm it you if you want? However, I'm not sure if they are giving out free accounts anymore. I'm using friends so can't really share it.

martin

----
Sure (re PM), only if it's no hassle - much appreciated.

Will have a scout around. Good to know about the cloud access - last thing I need is for work to suddenly access a rant about macaque gangs, or weird 'noise nutter' shit...

Leo

can I just say: I replaced an eight year-old Airport Express router (which Apple discounted a few years ago and had not have any upgrades since then) with a TP-LINK AC1900 and life is divine. serious marital issues were on the horizon due to the crappy wifi connection at the other end of the apartment (where the wife works) away from the router, practically like dial up since the signal has to pass through three walls including a tiled bathroom. now we can both stream video at the same time at lightening speed.

it's good to move into the 21st century.

catalog

I would like to build my own website with custom domain, in order to host images of my drawings and paintings, also some text and music.

Im competent in html and css, bit sketchy on js still, but don't want anything other than something relatively simple.

Would like to buy server space but preferably stay off a platform that does all the design for me.

Basically want pages I can edit myself, with dreamweaver.

Any advice or ideas from anyone?

sufi

lala
I would like to build my own website with custom domain, in order to host images of my drawings and paintings, also some text and music.

Im competent in html and css, bit sketchy on js still, but don't want anything other than something relatively simple.

Would like to buy server space but preferably stay off a platform that does all the design for me.

Basically want pages I can edit myself, with dreamweaver.

Any advice or ideas from anyone?
  1. DreamWeaver? really?
  2. Check dms
  3. https://carrd.co/
Or the mighty https://gn.apc.org