thirdform

pass the sick bucket
bliss we were talking about this last night when i was first trying to get into house from hardcore and tracing the genealogy and hit on some stuff that i couldn't really like but i thought i had to be into for ancestral reasons.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm not so much talking about the essential minutes. more the drivetime essential selection, friday night type of thing. on the E mix he's just an announcer.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
whereas for barty he is a complete non-entity. even more than me and Luke. he is simply irrelevant as barty has long since left the dance music discourse behind in his listening, if he was ever part of it to begin with *that doesn't mean he doesn't listen to dance music, he's not in the discourse though*

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
oh no doubt about it he was a seminal player in london's 80s black music scene, i don't really want this thread to turn into bashing the man... :) although 7 minutes in this interview he does get gently cussed out by fab and groove.

john eden

male pale and stale
I’ve managed to pretty much avoid him apart from essential mixes and FFRR (I know people on here hate “Timeless” these days but it was an incredible achievement and I still love it)

He did his bit.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
mild mannered liberalism from Eden! who'd have seen that coming? :crylarf: 🔫

but there is an illegally tasteful approach in him isn't there? Not the norman jay type sophisticate soul thing but more the kind of not good but not mindblowing middle ground. that's what I want to focus on. should the middle ground be defended? I say sometimes yes mostly no.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
here we aren't talking about live double bass over a drum and bass tune which is right wing to the core. we're talking about livin joy - dreamer.

version

Put the radio on, get the magazine out
And read about the 'Essence of Tong'

Checklist:
I never leave home without:
1. Sunglasses - I wear them all year around, and seem to need them more often, it's a habit
2. Music - cassettes, CDs
3. Palm Pilot - it's my lifeline. I think it's my P.A.'s computer, she rules my diary and I download it
4. Mobile phone
5. Amex card - they made such a fuss about giving it to me but I spend more time getting it turned down

I was in the realm of the essence of Tong

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
or something like this. not great but not terrible either. just painfully average. very painfully, in fact.

john eden

male pale and stale
There are some bangers in the FFRR catalogue though.

French Kiss
Chime
Logical Progression 1
Platinum Breakz

I mean yes you can argue that is about curation rather than any compositional talent on Tong’s part, but he got those tunes out with major distribution.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah but it's not bay b kane or bizzy b isit.

or mackenzie brain killer/dilemma erase your mind.

or well, anything on praxis lol, for obvious reasons. this is what I'm talking about it. we all agree that Tong has done his bit and there's nothing to criticise there. but as a value set what are the strengths and weaknesses? if you based your taste around tong's curation? what could be the strengths and what could be the weaknesses?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I suppose a strength is that there is always going to be some kind of contemporary flava. in a way he's much, much better than someone like me at reading trends because I'm so dogmatic and ideological. he wants people to dance, if i were playing out, I want to overload peoples neural circuits. my job is easier in that kind of crowd, much harder everywhere else. whereas his job would be much much harder to my kind of people.

john eden

male pale and stale
It opens up the music beyond its original audience which on one level is great but eventually ends up destroying it in many cases.

john eden

male pale and stale
Possibly in the long run it is this broader audience which helps with archiving and preserving the legacy though.