Jay-Z is killing off Glastonbury festival

mos dan

fact music
The man who wrote Champagne Supanova and Rock & Roll Star will raise a storm of righteous fury that will blow all that shallow bling music away

lol i could have used this support on the guardian blog ;) - thanks to tom pr and stelfox for running some interference btw :)

i wonder if there'll genuinely be a sour atmosphere around him playing at glasto now.. maybe it'll blow over by then

crackerjack

lol i could have used this support on the guardian blog ;) -

I was there, dude, about 4th or 5th down, slicing NG to the core with my observation that "ain't broke, don't fix" is precisely the maxim you'd expect from a man who's been making the same album since 1994. There was no coming back from that one, tellin ya.

mos dan

fact music
I was there, dude, about 4th or 5th down, slicing NG to the core with my observation that "ain't broke, don't fix" is precisely the maxim you'd expect from a man who's been making the same album since 1994. There was no coming back from that one, tellin ya.

haha, ZING! i went for something similar on that being his attitude to songwriting as well as glasto. gallagher must be sobbing into his coke-covered cornflakes ;)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
that or a 'Takeover' refix

"I don't care if you 'roll with it' I hold triggers to crews
You monobrowed fuck I've got moneystacks bigger than you"

etc etc

Then go straight into 'Is That Your Chick' over the Pow rhythm and call it 'Monobrow Pow'.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I see this as mainly a class-based issue, Jay Z is chav music and we can't be doing with that at Glasters

ether

The way I see it is, oasis have spent their entire career aspiring to be a 'stars in their eyes' version of the Beatles so cant we just settle this and book dangermouse and have him perform the grey album.

DRMHCP

Pfft, because only toffs like Oasis, obviously.

Obviously not but as with most guitar rock a large proportion of their fanbase will NOT be working class. And that (notwithstanding the Gallaghers background) even goes for Oasis who owing to the massive way they crossed over in the 90s obviously transcended the usual indie=middle class; dance/black music=working class, stereotypes.
I doubt that without the slavish student devotion to indie music over the last 20-30 years there would ever have been (after the years of dance musics ascendency post 1988) a guitar-based scene left for Oasis to use to make it when they did.
Which to me always makes it so ridiculous when Liam Gallager then slags students off...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've always thought of Oasis as pretty working-class. I mean, it's music to sing along to after a footy match and eight pints of Stella, isn't it?

crackerjack

I've always thought of Oasis as pretty working-class. I mean, it's music to sing along to after a footy match and eight pints of Stella, isn't it?

students like football and stella and shouting too, y'know.

i think drmhcp is pretty well spot on. indie is generically m/c, no matter how much some individual acts reach beyond that.

and i agree with bun-u too - i'd hesitate to call anyone racist for hating all hip hop, but there's something deeply snobbish about this assumption that glastonbury belongs to a certain kind of music just because the bastards have colonised it in the last 10 years. settlers out!

mms

sometimes
Obviously not but as with most guitar rock a large proportion of their fanbase will NOT be working class. And that (notwithstanding the Gallaghers background) even goes for Oasis who owing to the massive way they crossed over in the 90s obviously transcended the usual indie=middle class; dance/black music=working class, stereotypes.
I doubt that without the slavish student devotion to indie music over the last 20-30 years there would ever have been (after the years of dance musics ascendency post 1988) a guitar-based scene left for Oasis to use to make it when they did.
Which to me always makes it so ridiculous when Liam Gallager then slags students off...

god when i was at university all students seemed to (badly) ape casuals circa 1985 and oasis got played all the time as a kind of hedonistic anthem for drinking cheap booze too.
i hated university - students and britpop created some kind of fucked semi aggressive culture of all the shittiest most boring aspects of british leisure time.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
I'm sorry, but why has Monobrow got any authority when it comes to the Glasto lineup?

It smacks to me of someone well past their time in the spotlight getting themselves a bit of publicity.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
i hated university - students and britpop created some kind of fucked semi aggressive culture of all the shittiest most boring aspects of british leisure time.

If Alan was dead, he'd be spinning :) Not the best days for sure.