No Future for the GOP?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Glenn Beck -- I've just discovered this guy. Genius stuff. And to think, people pay him to talk.

sheer unadulterated genius - I saw "believe in something...(loooong dramatic pause)...even if it's wrong" bit live...man tears in the eyes & everything...

he's like Lou Dobbs on steroids doncha know...any fule kno really...I think the last time I tuned into Glenn Beck he was interviewing William Shatner...the time before that it was some Tom Clancy wannabe military hardware fetishizing thriller novelist...of course he he does find the time to heap tons of abuse on illegal immigrants...promotes himself as some kind of "maverick of the middle" I think? quite fitting...

if I had ten Glenn Becks at my beck (oh yes, intended) & call I would take over the world & run it Ayn Rand technocrat stylee...

padraig (u.s.)

I loved that bit where they dug out a frisky Alaskan moose-shooter. Pure genius.

she's so crazy that during the Russia/Georgia spat even the Russian media I read was absolutely boggled...this nutty evangelist hockey mom ready to start a nuclear war over Ossetia...of course she's an expert on Russian politics so I'm sure it all would've turned out chipper...

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Beck be a fool, see. And the fool be a rule, be a stool, do you dig? Gotta keep that shit moving, fertilizing the flower beds.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Under the Palin-Rove police state, there will be no further true elections.

Naomi Wolf, writing last fall (as discussed up-thread).

i think we need to take the piss out of Naomi a bit more, frankly.

padraig (u.s.)

Naomi Wolf, writing last fall (as discussed up-thread).

i think we need to take the piss out of Naomi a bit more, frankly.

if you think that's nutty, I had multiple friends come up to me before Bush/Kerry in 2004 predicting a fullout military coup if GW wasn't returned to office...not wild-eyed radicals either...

I always get Naomis Wolf & Klein crossed up in my head. & we had that massive thread taking the piss out of Naomi Klein a few weeks back...

scottdisco

rip this joint please
we had that massive thread taking the piss out of Naomi Klein a few weeks back...

ah man Jonathan Chait in TNR totally owning Klein on The Shock Doctrine front.. ...but no - unless, was it, er, satire? (i'm being very generous here) - the well-regarded (i'd say she isn't regarded as a kook or anything), fairly fashionable (fair enough call, no?) Naomi Wolf was writing the utmost garbage last fall, in far-left tiny-circulation sheet the Huffington Post, about fascist-incubating Amerikkka and the rest of us with a brain could see it was garbage at the time.

i mean, what gives Wolf?!

swears

preppy-kei
Right wing nuts coming out of the woodwork across the states, closer to the mainstream than ever:

The Christian Science Monitor reports this week that Main Street America is on a "massive gun-and-ammunition buying spree" that has left gun shops short on assault-style weapons and ammunition. Those hoarding guns and ammunition share Poplawski's fear of Obama's (nonexistent) gun control initiative as well as the belief that America is facing a (nonexistent) crime wave. Never mind FBI numbers—cited in the same story—that reflect a decline in crime. As Tom Lee, a member of the Virginia Citizen Militia, explains to the Christian Science Monitor: "People are seeing a looming economic collapse that will lead to a prolonged and possibly worsening breakdown of law and order and, eventually, a We-the-People vs. armed-government-enforcers scenario."

From this Slate article.

polystyle

It came and went ... Obama announced tax break the same day.

And gun buyers, militias, neo nazi's, moonshiners- hey they surely have to be ready for 'when it all comes down' -ya know when the whites fight it out with the blacks,
end of days, second coming, apocalypse sometime.
I saw notice that Beck got another show or something.

crackerjack

More on Rush phenom ioon Vanity Fair this month.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/...limbaugh200905?printable=true&currentPage=all

Money quote

The dirty little secret of conservative talk radio is that the average age of listeners is 67 and rising, according to Sinton—the Fox News audience, likewise, is in its mid-60s: “What sort of continuing power do you have as your audience strokes out?”

They sugggest that's why he upped the ante so spectacularly with Obama - a bit of shock and awe to drive the numbers back up.

polystyle

Thanks Crackerjack.
Yeah we are awed alright ...
like the Texas Gov. who hinted around and got that 'Texas wants to pull out of the Union'
sillynaff going around MSNBC yesterday ...

vimothy

yurp
From where I'm sitting, it looks like US Conservatives know they are losing the argument. I think Frum has nailed this dynamic pretty comprehensively. Anyway, here's Bruce Bartlett:

Tax Tea Party Time, Part Two, by Bruce Bartlett, Commentary, Forbes:

Last week, I presented data comparing taxation in the United States to other major countries and concluded that Americans are not especially overtaxed. ... But what if we compare U.S. taxes today to those in the past? Are Americans more heavily taxed than those in earlier years, and do polls show greater dissatisfaction with taxes today? ... t is hard to find evidence that taxes are rising or unusually high. ...

In response to these facts, some critics say that it is not today's taxes that concern them, but those that will have to be paid in coming years as a result of the large spending and deficits being projected. ...

I have problems with this argument as a justification for the sudden appearance of tea parties to protest taxes. First, many protesters implicitly assume that that the deficit has increased solely as a result of Barack Obama's policies. But in fact, the Congressional Budget Office was projecting a deficit of more than $1 trillion this year back in January...

It's true that projected deficits have gotten larger since January. But much of this resulted from deteriorating economic conditions that would have occurred even if John McCain were president. Moreover, it is absurd to assume that McCain would not have enacted any stimulus programs had he been elected.

More than likely, McCain would have proposed a stimulus plan of roughly the same size as that proposed by Obama. No doubt, it would have had a different composition--heavier on tax cuts, different kinds of tax cuts, less spending, different spending--but it wouldn't have been all that different from Obama's package given large Democratic majorities in the House and Senate and the pressure to act quickly.

I strongly suspect that many of those that loudly denounced the Obama stimulus package for its impact on the deficit would have cheered the McCain stimulus package even though it would have increased the deficit by about the same amount.

Proof of this proposition is that there were no tea parties during the years when George W. Bush was turning the surpluses of the Clinton years into massive deficits. ... Those protesting this week were only protesting because it is a Democrat who has increased the deficit. When a Republican did worse, it's like Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind."

vimothy

yurp
What the fuck are they going on about anyway, moaning about high expected taxes due to deficits run up when the GOP was in power? It's pretty embarrassing. Hopefully we can get past this Limbaugh bubble and end up with some kind of substantial conservatism in opposition. I'm not that hopeful of that, though...

Last edited: