late 2-step appreciation thread

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
mms said:
i think trying to discuss dubstep as a whiteboy rootical thing is kinda missing the point , rather like the whole problem people have with world music kinda samples and sources for beats, i think these sources arise from sound-scavenging and love of bass pressure, plus i think some of those boys are big into films etc. mystikz differ slightly as well as some of what they do applies conciousness grounded in rasta.

It seems like the consensus on dubstep is moving towards the consensus on techstep before it - that it is somehow a 'white' leeching of 'black' essentiality from the music, yet when I went to Metalheadz when it was at The Blue Note half the dj lineup was black! I think this is the problem with a lot of musical criticism, the need to draw grand theories about the way scenes work in relation to wider social issues - it tends to lead to overstretch.

mms

sometimes
Pearsall said:
It seems like the consensus on dubstep is moving towards the consensus on techstep before it - that it is somehow a 'white' leeching of 'black' essentiality from the music, yet when I went to Metalheadz when it was at The Blue Note half the dj lineup was black! I think this is the problem with a lot of musical criticism, the need to draw grand theories about the way scenes work in relation to wider social issues - it tends to lead to overstretch.

the music and the crowd are mixed race at fwd pretty much, get alot of people yapping about it who've never been.
yeah i worry about the techy basslines etc mainly cos it's boring and one dimensional and not very fun.

bassnation

the abyss
mms said:
i think trying to discuss dubstep as a whiteboy rootical thing is kinda missing the point , rather like the whole problem people have with world music kinda samples and sources for beats, i think these sources arise from sound-scavenging and love of bass pressure, plus i think some of those boys are big into films etc. mystikz differ slightly as well as some of what they do applies conciousness grounded in rasta.

my problem with world music samples are that they are utterly played-out and just sound like cheese, if you've listened to any dance music (and especially trip hop) through the nineties.

personally i don't want to listen to a garage version of theivery corporation. to me its just laziness. if people are really up for "sound scavenging" then surely they can grab something that involves a modicum of originality.

i'd be up for trying fwd out, but if its all on that tip, then i'm not sure its for me.

AshRa

mpc said:
i was really into the menta stuff and beatfreaks did some amazing records ('twelves' has one of the best basslines ever).

Oh My God - TWELVES! I think you could be right - if anybody knows a record with a more insane bassline from this era PLEASE let me know!

Another tune from that era (I think it was 2001) that I can't get out of my head recently is Ms Dynamite "RAMP" - whatever happened to her?! I remember on her Mercury prize acceptance speech "Yeah my garage album's going to be out soon..." :rolleyes:

Ach!

Turd on the Run
'RAMP' completely tore up Smoove at MOS when it was first on dub - it got rewound about 5 times the night I'm thinking of; am I right in thinking that was a Menta production?

mms

sometimes
bassnation said:
my problem with world music samples are that they are utterly played-out and just sound like cheese, if you've listened to any dance music (and especially trip hop) through the nineties.

personally i don't want to listen to a garage version of theivery corporation. to me its just laziness. if people are really up for "sound scavenging" then surely they can grab something that involves a modicum of originality.

i'd be up for trying fwd out, but if its all on that tip, then i'm not sure its for me.

i've never heard thievery coporation, heard loads of hideous fusion music, didn't like trip hop, I think dubstep that uses elements of indian drums for breaks and instruments isn't really about world music at all.
I reckon like most things some of it sounds good some of it sounds bad. i don't think it's played out etc it doesn't have that stupid element that world fusion or whatever has. it's all about grounding and pressure to me. reflecting your enviroment and not your reaction to it as much etc..

bassnation

the abyss
mms said:
i've never heard thievery coporation, heard loads of hideous fusion music, didn't like trip hop, I think dubstep that uses elements of indian drums for breaks and instruments isn't really about world music at all.

i'm thinking of some tracks from the last horsepower album, although i loved a lot of that lp there were some tracks where it sounded like they'd gone to town on a world music sample cd. heard quite a few dubstep tunes like that and its not really what i'm into - was hoping for more fucked up textures, taking the ideas further. the first lp promised so much.

not talking about breaks and percussion though - i love timbaland and the neptunes and they use percussive elements like tablas a lot, in a way that doesn't sound at all contrived.

mind you, i heard a clip of a digital mystiks tune after you lot going on about him which was eastern influenced, but it wasn't so obvious as some of the horsepower tunes, more a suggestion, a feel to the track rather than "oh, heres a sitar" or the "spagetti western" thing which has been done so many times now that it insults the intelligence.

anyway, want to pick up some of digital mystiks tunes now i've had a taster, any recommendations?

mpc

wasteman
mystikz's best stuff is still to come.

conference and changes by them are fabtastic (that was a typing error,but i like it), but god knows will they ever release them. dmz003 is the 'twisup' remix, which is good. grime 2 on rephlex has loads of good dubstep. i think the 1st 2 releases on dmz are only for the purists (!?).

Blackdown

nexKeysound
bassnation said:
anyway, want to pick up some of digital mystiks tunes now i've had a taster, any recommendations?

Digital Mystikz "Give Jah Glory" (Tempa)
Loefah "Jungle Infiltrator" (Big Apple)
Digital Mystikz "Pathways" (Big Apple)
Loefah "Horror Show" (DMZ)

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
One thing I'd like to hear would be African-influenced grime/dubstep. After all, a lot of the people involved in the scene are from African backgrounds (Lethal B, much of Ruff Squad, Remerdee from Essentials, and many more I'm sure) and there's lots of stuff that's obviously inlfuenced by Jamaican music.

luka

i've beeen suggesting someone write something about the influece of african immigraion on grime since 2001 or whatever, i'd do it but i'm very white although my stepmum/bruv.sis/are african someone step up#its important

stelfox

Beast of Burden
anyone mentioned pussy track yet? can't be bothered to read the what's dubstep/what's not stuff to find out, but that was a fucking awsome moment. i also love ring the alarm by zed biaz and juiceman

dubplatestyle

i think i mentioned "pussy track" in the opening post. god, yeah, that's TUNE. play that to any drum and bass head getting uppity about garage,

bassnation

the abyss
stelfox said:
anyone mentioned pussy track yet? can't be bothered to read the what's dubstep/what's not stuff to find out, but that was a fucking awsome moment. i also love ring the alarm by zed biaz and juiceman

also from that period:

antonio - bad funk (locked on)
mc sparks and kie vs t-bone - fly bi (possibly my favourite ukg tune ever)

bassnation

the abyss
stelfox said:
can't be bothered to read the what's dubstep/what's not stuff

and

dubplatestyle said:
i knew this would devolve into b.s. about dubstep

well, sorry to bore you gentleman - i know you've probably had these discussions many times before but much of this is new to me.

i guess i'm not used to discussion forums staying on topic - coming from uk-dance which is notorious for being 100% off topic at all times with huge rambling discussions that evolve into something completely different.

dubplatestyle

oh, i was just kidding...people can talk about whatever they want! personally, i'd take the lamest breakstep stuff over dubstep, but, again, that's just me. i'm kooky and off-hipster like that.