sadmanbarty

There's a great shop by the burger king in this video that just sells sim cards and afrobeats cd's. they play music out a guitar amp on the pavement and it's always this really weird, alien stuff. every now and then i'll buy one of the cd's but it's never like what i hear when i'm wlaking past.

as it happens asher d's bit in this is just over the road

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
This is interesting. I'm surprised at how few views most of the uk drill lot are getting.

most of these guys have the charisma of a wet paper towel, though

mumble mumble ... I'll stab you ... mumble mumble ... I sell a lot of drugs, bruv ... mumble mumble mumble

craner

Beast of Burden
"Good production but otherwise loads of lads mumbling about knives through a balaclava," as Luke once succinctly described it to me.

sadmanbarty

most of these guys have the charisma of a wet paper towel, though

mumble mumble ... I'll stab you ... mumble mumble ... I sell a lot of drugs, bruv ... mumble mumble mumble

luka said the same. it's no doubt 'changing-same' music, but that's what (when i'm at my most enamoured with it) i find so exciting about it. it's taken it's musical cues from lots of high energy music and turned them completely on their head to create this ethereal, disembodied, mediative music. that fact that most of the tracks sound the same; the same mumbling mcing, the same drums, the same piano lend to the music's mantra feel. it's womb music. listen to it the way you would listen to eno's 'on land' rather than how you'd listen if it was grime.

that being said there are some more charismatic/individual artists:

Last edited:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Classic dissensus

Genre dismissed with caricature

Genre defended with recourse to Brian Eno

:crylarf:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
All grime is is some guy shouting the same phrase again and again over a beat that sounds like it was made on a SNES

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
luka said the same. it's no doubt 'changing-same' music, but that's what (when i'm at my most enamoured with it) i find so exciting about it. it's taken it's musical cues from lots of high energy music and turned them completely on their head to create this ethereal, disembodied, mediative music. that fact that most of the tracks sound the same; the same mumbling mcing, the same drums, the same piano lend to the music's mantra feel. it's womb music. listen to it the way you would listen to eno's 'on land' rather than how you'd listen if it was grime.

a powerful defense! if only you could get your favored artists to show so much passion ;)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Although I found Barty's Brian Eno defence quite amusingly dissensian, I respect the inclination to listen to this music like that, and indeed to listen to any music any way you like.

Not a bad idea for a thread in a way... Listening to music in a way the artist probably didn't intend.

sadmanbarty

seems to be the beginning of an effort to develop uk drill into dance music. i can imagine a song or two (accompanied by their eponymous dances) in this mould that go viral (a bit like 'head shoulders knees and toes', migrane skank, etc), but that's as far as i imagine it'll go. it'd be great if it did properly evoleve into a fully fledged dance genre though.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Would be bizarre to have a fun lighthearted dance routine being performed by scary blokes in balaclavas