I Hate The Film Canon: A Thread

droid

I've had the Dune argument too many times and Im so tired. Currently arguing the other side again on whatsapp. I think I might just pit you against each other.

craner

Beast of Burden
I agree with Droid, even though I've never seen the film. The combination of David Lynch, Sting and sci-fi is a repulsive proposition on its face. Who needs to watch that, ffs?

woops

is not like other people
Not seen a single one of those but for Groundhog Day, which I didn't realise was hated. I love it, in spite of Andi McDowell. (Who has to be a drip, really, for the mismatch to work, even if the romance ultimately doesn't.) Can't think of a conceit that better captures the feeling of depression. Not that the world is empty but that you are trapped in some tiny corner of it.
first time i ever went to a flick with a girl was to see groundhog day, draw your own conclusions

version

Read this the other day, Paul Schrader on being asked to write the film equivalent of Bloom's Western Canon.

forclosure

so what nobody got anything harsh to say about Powell & Pressburger? i was gonna ask about Jean Pierre Melville but i suppose craner's blanket covering of "the french" does that.

no Bunuel haters?

Surprised nobodies tried to get at the Italians

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Le Cercle Rouge is the perfect Sunday afternoon dip

No YT links, what’s the point. I love Yves Montand’s dt’s scene and the way he pulls himself together to insert plot spoiler. GM

The ending is a damp affair and poor use of Gian Maria Volontè, like a depressed Shane Meadows on a ton of diazepam