Jeremy Corbyn

jenks

thread death
How far along are they on the 'cash for ash' enquiry?

I am reminded of the play This House which depicts the 74-79 government which lurched from one crisis to the next. All that's need are a couple of scandals and a two or three untimely demises (leading to by-elections) and that wafer thin majority is gone. All on top of getting the angry squabbling dysfunctional Tory family all to agree on everything whilst sucking up to the DUP - we'll be back in the booths in October.

droid

Cash for Ash inquiry stalled due to resignation of McGuinness and Stormont talks and polls. First hearing due in the Autumn.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I thought DUP were strongly against hard Brexit because even they aren't stupid enough to think that a hard border with the Republic is in going to be anything other than a clusterfuck.

Which of course makes the whole thing even less stable.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Farron was currently having a look through his phonebook in case any moderate / progressive Conservative MPs want a chat.

But then, this might all be underestimating what a bunch of unprincipled, power-hungry twunts the Tories are.

droid

I thought DUP were strongly against hard Brexit because even they aren't stupid enough to think that a hard border with the Republic is in going to be anything other than a clusterfuck.

Which of course makes the whole thing even less stable.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Tim Farron was currently having a look through his phonebook in case any moderate / progressive Conservative MPs want a chat.

But then, this might all be underestimating what a bunch of unprincipled, power-hungry twunts the Tories are.

The DUP are pathological. They campaigned for Brexit and would rather see a hard border than face the prospect of closer ties to Ireland via EU special arrangement. Remember, these fuckers voted against the good friday agreement.

droid

I cant possibly overstate the complete batshit despicableness of the DUP under Foster. They are worse now perhaps than they were with Paisley at the helm, who, at least understood that endless rivers of blood was not conducive to any kind of future for NI and was willing (eventually) to compromise.

droid

These fuckers bomb children going to school, they enthusiastically cheer on Israeli massacres of Palestinian civilians. They actively supported the Apartheid government and racist far right white power militias. Taking into account their paramilitary history (which they have never disavowed) they are possibly the biggest scumbags in Europe.

martin

----
I cant possibly overstate the complete batshit despicableness of the DUP under Foster. They are worse now perhaps than they were with Paisley at the helm, who, at least understood that endless rivers of blood was not conducive to any kind of future for NI and was willing (eventually) to compromise.

Is this coalition move really a shock, though? Kinda thought the DUP were always staunch Tory and would back Tory policies as a matter of course (well, with the exception of pardoning ex-SF/IRA members or any leniency on bum sex). Seems like a few people are surprised by this but haven't there been loads of links between the two parties, going back years?

craner

Beast of Burden
I think it is fair to say that Droid called this. While not an outright win, the swing was large enough to count as one.

Well called, Droid.

I think "The Manifesto Week" swung it, compounded by May's absurd refusal to debate, maybe even the terrorist attacks which basically pulped her supposedly "strong and stable" record at the Home Office, as well as flagrant overconfidence and terminally weak advisors. I said earlier in this thread that she was running the worst Tory campaign since Howard in 05. She surpassed that in a spectacular fashion. She made Major and his soap box in 92 look like the work of a political genius. Possibly the worst Conservative campaign (and miscalculation, to boot) in their history.

I have mixed feelings. I voted Labour, but could not campaign for the Corbyn gang, who I still detest. I am an almost extinct species: the New Labour animal. Fine, but I am still in the Labour family, which is a broad left-of-centre camp. I am exited by the possibility of this, the roll back of Nationalism in Scotland, new Labour MPS, the destruction of the Hard Brexit platform, a number of social policy implications and an end to austerity.

But some caveats remain huge and won't go away.

The chaos is damaging, too. This is Cameron's fault, ultimately.

droid

Not a shock,massively hypocritical considering the dismissive attitude towards NI during Brexit, but far from unprecedented. Brown went into coalition with them as well.

That said, the current DUP regime is (depending how you look at it) arguably worse than those that have gone before, and given that the context of conflict and the oppositional pro-British angle is more or less gone, its a particularly indefensible and stark decision as the reflexive institutional cover is now non-existent.

craner

Beast of Burden
And, for once, I agree with Droid, even the whiff of a deal with the DUP is disgusting on its face and disgustingly hypocritical after all the IRA shit they threw at Corbyn.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Surely time for the UK to consider a proportional representation system - the objection that it leads to unfettered chaos doesn't seem quite so convincing any more...

droid

DB6DguzXgAEwLd6.jpg

sadmanbarty

Well called, Droid.

I have mixed feelings. I voted Labour, but could not campaign for the Corbyn gang, who I still detest. I am an almost extinct species: the New Labour animal. Fine, but I am still in the Labour family, which is a broad left-of-centre camp. I am exited by the possibility of this, the roll back of Nationalism in Scotland, new Labour MPS, the destruction of the Hard Brexit platform, a number of social policy implications and an end to austerity.

Well done droid.

I'm in a similar situation. I hold New Labour in high esteem (War on Terror aside). I voted Lib Dem in a Labour safe seat. I completely agree about brexit, austerity, scottish nationalism, etc.

All I would say is that, ignoring corbyn's history and rhetoric, the manifesto wasn't particularly radical. I've been surprised at how the far left haven't (with some justification) criticised it for being the Tory-lite, style labourism Corbyn was supposed to stop.

Don't get me wrong, I think there were some dumb policies proposed by labour, but if this is what we can expect from the compromise between the centre and far left, I can live with that... As long it starts winning elections.

droid

Just rereading this thread and noticed that I parred Tea on three separate occasions, and yet here I am, complimenting him on his unselfish political activism.

The model of magnanimity, infinite patience, prophetic political vision, humble... you guys are lucky I didnt make it over in May as you would all have been blinded by my radiant glory.

DannyL

Wild Horses

But some caveats remain huge and won't go away.

To delurk for a second, I'm in a similar boat to Craner. I'm delighted that the swing was so strong and that it's been partly driven by young voters. They are such a maligned group and in my (substanial) experience, smarter, nicer and more savvy than they are given credit for. To think that they might be voting as a bloc is fucking brilliant, and if it puts an end to kowtowing to the grey vote and tabloid editors... wow. That could really be something. The possibilities excite me no end. Telling boring middle age wankers like me to fuck off, and upending expectations is precisely what they should be doing.

I still like a bit of centrism though - nothing wrong with platforms that lean heavily on negotiation, concessions and speaking for multiple constituencies. I think Sadiq Khan is an excellent mayor for these reasons. I still find Corbyn's foreign policy positions absolutely abhorrent also and think some of the people in his immediate circle are horrible scumbags. Part of me is glad for the loss just so these people are kept away from anything like real power. I hope they ge replaced with some fresh young voices soon, who arent' weighed down by all that Campist baggaie.