DOOM, or The Official 2016 US Election Thread

vimothy

yurp
I'm not sure that it is. The author even writes, "But it would also make me rational, voting if not in my economic self-interest then at least in my emotional self-interest."

luka

Vimothy I think me and craner should take you out for a drink. You're suffering from intellectual isolation.

luka

We all are. I'll let you know when he's in London. Droid should come too. Party atmosphere.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm not sure that it is. The author even writes, "But it would also make me rational, voting if not in my economic self-interest then at least in my emotional self-interest."

I think this is stretching the word "rational" to breaking point. Some people have voted for Trump in large part because they think he's going to stand up to a Jewish plot to eradicated the white race from North America. You can say they're acting in "emotional self-interest", sure, but it can hardly be called "rational" since it's based on an obviously delusional belief.

droid

We all are. I'll let you know when he's in London. Droid should come too. Party atmosphere.

Have yet to confirm dates, but still panning on heading over next year - assuming London is till there of course.

vimothy

yurp
I think this is stretching the word "rational" to breaking point. Some people have voted for Trump in large part because they think he's going to stand up to a Jewish plot to eradicated the white race from North America. You can say they're acting in "emotional self-interest", sure, but it can hardly be called "rational" since it's based on an obviously delusional belief.

Maybe in that case, but it's not delusional to imagine that the Democrats are looking forward to a time when demographic changes have rendered the votes -- and therefore the interests -- of the white working class superfluous. (That thesis doesn't look quite so certain now, as discussed by Sean Trende here, in the aftermath of Trump's success, but it has been a popular idea for the last decade or more and is reflected in the contemporary preference for identity over class-based politics.) Given that the Democrats have abandoned those who were previously among their core constituents (for a new coalition, made up, as described by Lawrence Summers, of "the cosmopolitan élite and diversity"), it's hardly irrational for those same constituents to look elsewhere.

sadmanbarty

Maybe in that case, but it's not delusional to imagine that the Democrats are looking forward to a time when demographic changes have rendered the votes -- and therefore the interests -- of the white working class superfluous. (That thesis doesn't look quite so certain now, as discussed by Sean Trende here, in the aftermath of Trump's success, but it has been a popular idea for the last decade or more and is reflected in the contemporary preference for identity over class-based politics.) Given that the Democrats have abandoned those who were previously among their core constituents (for a new coalition, made up, as described by Lawrence Summers, of "the cosmopolitan élite and diversity"), it's hardly irrational for those same constituents to look elsewhere.

I think this is applicable to rhetoric rather than policy insofar as Democrat policies benefit the white working class (a lot of the time for very little electoral gain).

vimothy

yurp
But the choice isn't only between the Democrats and the Republicans. There is also a third option: reject both and elect Trump.

sadmanbarty

But the choice isn't only between the Democrats and the Republicans. There is also a third option: reject both and elect Trump.

In terms of tax, climate, healthcare, financial deregulation, 2nd amendment etc. Trump's in line with the GOP. The split between Trump and republicans is only explicitly evident in terms of foreign policy and upholding domestic democratic norms.

firefinga

I think this is applicable to rhetoric rather than policy insofar as Democrat policies benefit the white working class (a lot of the time for very little electoral gain).

Doesn't matter, the target groups have a different impression and they vote accordingly.

sadmanbarty

In light of our recent discussions, this from the European IGM Economic Experts Panel survey a few days ago:

Freer movement of people to live and work across borders within Europe has made many low-skilled western European citizens worse off since the 1980s.
Responses:

Strongly Agree- 0%

Agree- 24%

Uncertain- 20%

Disagree- 38%

Strongly Disagree- 10%

No Opinion- 2%

Responses weighted by each expert's confidence:

Strongly Agree- 0%

Agree- 24%

Uncertain- 21%

Disagree- 41%

Strongly Disagree- 14%

http://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/migration-within-europe

They asked about a similar question here but included free movement of goods as well as services here:

http://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/trade-within-europe

sadmanbarty

Nate Silver:

Clinton should have campaigned more in MI, WI, which 538 model often ranked among tipping-point states. But it didn't cost her the election.

Clinton would still have lost the Electoral College with both MI & WI. She needed either PA or FL too, which she campaigned in plenty.

Clinton lost 4 states (FL, MI, WI, PA) by ~1 point. If not for Comey/Russia, she probably wins them all by ~2 points & strategy looks great.

So if you're going to second-guess, a way better question is whether Clinton needed a better October Surprise response strategy.

They were caught very flat-flooted on the Comey letter. Not an easy thing to respond to, but they didn't have much of a strategy at all.

vimothy

yurp
Pretty crazy interview with Richard Spencer by Elle Reeve of Vice Magazine. Definitely one for the DOOM thread. Lincoln Memorial in the background. The wind keeps blowing her hair into her face.

VICE: Well... maybe everyone wants to talk to you because you're flashy, and you... tweet pictures of ovens at people, and you've figured out how to manipulate people -- like journalists' fixation on Twitter.

SPENCER: That just seems to be saying what I said... [Y]ou're using your... snarky words, like, "Tweet pictures of ovens or whatever". But... yeah, they want to see us because we're flashy. That means... we understand PR. We understand how to talk, and manipulate journalists. I guess I'm doing that to you right now.

It's striking how little intellectual defence Reeve has against this sort of thing, despite what looks like an impressive CV.

luka

He's a man with zero charisma and poor verbal skills. Not sure why he excites you vimothy. It's beneath you.

vimothy

yurp
You're letting your dislike of his politics colour your assessment of his character. He's obviously no idiot, even if he does speak like a millennial. It's worrying (or "exciting", if you prefer), not that Vice gives him a platform, but that they're so easily manipulated by him it becomes effective fascist propaganda.

The alt-right are still extremely marginal, and unlike some I don't worry that they've taken over the US, but Spencer is frankly a lot slicker than I was expecting.