films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

rubberdingyrapids

it is. but it depends on whether you think thats worth the rest of it! tbh the ending was good, but it just builds, and builds, and builds for about an hour. i think i posted about it here already when it came out, but im not that into 'classy' horror movies for people who dont really like the genre. id rather watch v/h/s or something like that.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The goat was unimpressed with the final edit, tried to take its name off the credits.

("bit of horror tacked on to a fairly dreary, sub carl dryer rural medieval piece" is a perfect description)

rubberdingyrapids

notes on blindness. prob not a great idea to watch this on brexit day, but this pissed me off with its insipidness. a film about a man who has to get used to being blind, its filmed in a verbatim style, with actors miming to audio of tapes he made to document his thoughts at the time, and i did find some of these moving, but mostly, i thought the film was trying to be one of these sentimental british weepies. bland, bland, bland. the herzog docu about blindness (i forget the name) is a million times better.

rubberdingyrapids

jaws.

saw this recently after a very long time.

realised its crap once it turns into a big shark hunt adventure.

very dissapointing.

jurassic park is the superior spielberg monster movie.

Leo

jaws was one of the earliest summer sensation "scary" blockbusters (aka, the tip of the speilberg spear...), got to love how the shark now looks so fake compared to CG creatures today. almost as bad as sharknado, just this big lurching mechanical chomping thing with pointy teeth, LOL!

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i love jaws
i can't flip past it when it is on TV

i revisited Halloween II and it was not good
managed to miss what was scary about the original
too much exposition and not enough suburban dread

rubberdingyrapids

arrival wasnt as good as i hoped. gravity did the 'woman haunted by child' thing better. im a big amy adams fan, but the film left the stuff about language and misunderstandings at surface level. wants to make you think but i felt like it ended up sort of just being a bit fuzzy and vague. im not really into that terence malick-ish 'ambiguous' sort of profundity that people seem to like doing a lot these days to appear 'deep'. not knowing what youre saying does not make a film/tv drama deep, it just means you might not know what youre saying.

rubberdingyrapids

i like every JP film.
JP2 is a bit stupid, and gets stuck in spielbergian pap, even if the sight of t-rex trampling over shit in the city is brilliant.
JP3 is underrated, and an excellent monster movie sequel. tightly scripted and acted.
the last one was actually one of the best.
i am genuinely looking forward to the next one.
forget superheroes, we need more films about huge creatures.

Last edited:

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
forget superheroes, we need more films about huge creatures.
you've seen trollhunter, yes?

960.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I quite liked that film.

Edit: WTF am I saying, it fucking rocked. Thanks, Corpsey, for nudging me out of my non-committal apathy.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

rogue one.
cgi peter cushing and princess leia, not actually a spin off but just another two hours of prequelliness, explaining how the death star was made this time, and how it had that flaw which let them detonate it; basically just more star wars universe crap which i dont care about, rather than the start of a new series which is what i thought it was going to be.
donnie yen and riz ahmed both wasted.
felicity jones looked quite nice though.
also the story was a mess.

luka

All my mates said it was a brilliant film. Totally blown away. Mind you all my mates are thick as bricks

rubberdingyrapids

This sounds like more like an engineering document than a movie.

the motivations about why this happened, and how, etc etc, didnt really add up to much. it just showed who did it and when. so basically, just some lame two hour way to connect the films and add to our understanding of the THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE (i actually, naively hoped this would be a whole new series, just in the same star wars world).

the other thing that pissed me off was that in the same way the force awakens was basically modeled on the structure of episode 4 IIRC, this was modeled more or less on TFA.

felicity jones' character didnt even get a chance to really have her character/story (beyond the fact her parents were killed when she was a kid... sound familiar?) teased out in a way that makes you want to see a whole series of films about her. this was just another stupid flimsy origins story.

im not a blockbuster hater, but star wars should die.

my mates liked it but i dont trust their taste in much.

Last edited: