vimothy and the alt right

luka

vims people.
http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/03/29/an-establishment-conservatives-guide-to-the-alt-right/
'The alt-right’s intellectuals would also argue that culture is inseparable from race. The alt-right believe that some degree of separation between peoples is necessary for a culture to be preserved. A Mosque next to an English street full of houses bearing the flag of St. George, according to alt-righters, is neither an English street nor a Muslim street — separation is necessary for distinctiveness.

Some alt-righters make a more subtle argument. They say that when different groups are brought together, the common culture starts to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Instead of mosques or English houses, you get atheism and stucco.'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There are some left-leaning types (such as myself) who tend to accord a great deal of respect to the native cultures of other countries, while simultaneously scoffing at the notion that there is an 'English culture' that should, or indeed even CAN, be defended against dilution or destruction. I guess there's some sort of double standard operating there.

I've been reading part one of Peter Ackroyd's history of England and it really gets across how phony the notion of a 'native' English race is. First it was people from Iberia, then it was the Romans, then it was the Saxons, then it was the Danish, and so on.

This is interesting, though, Luka, I'll read when I get the chance.

I'm intrigued by the notion of traditional conservatives acting against the neo-liberal right who, as this article says, might happily bulldoze a historical building to build a strip mall, if it made them more money.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've been reading part one of Peter Ackroyd's history of England and it really gets across how phony the notion of a 'native' English race is. First it was people from Iberia, then it was the Romans, then it was the Saxons, then it was the Danish, and so on.

Right, but a race is not the same thing as a nation*. There's been a pretty well defined concept of England as a unitary political, legal and cultural entity for over a thousand years - compare that to some other European countries (Italy, Germany...countries hardly innocent to the impulse of nationalism!) that came into being as nation-states less than 150 years ago (or even, what, 26 years ago in Germany's case, if you count the division of the country during the Cold War). And new countries pop into existence all the time.

True, there are still some dolts who may insist that the English are primarily descended from Anglo-Saxons and there are Welsh, Scottish and Irish nationalists who cling to the equally fantastical notion that they descend from a well defined "Celtic" race - but I hope most people these days are aware that modern genetics and archaeology paints a vastly more subtle and ambiguous picture than this.

*Though that's not to say some countries don't have a far greater degree of ethnic homogeneity than others, in both the genetic and cultural senses - Japan springs to mind.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Like the alt-right, the frog's a 4chan thing.

Ah yeah, I got that when I read further down.

Nick Land's name keeps cropping up in this context. Wasn't he a darling of the lefty academic blogosphere in the last decade? I seem to recall him being quoted favourably by people (K-punk, Gek-opel...) who presumably would rather have died than be thought of as any kind of Rightist or reactionary, "alt" or otherwise.

luka

nick land taught various people at warwick, k punk, kode 9, kodwo eshun. he was a bataille freak and speed addict and supposedly very charismatic. then he started fetishing capitalism and moved to china, inhuman data flows or something... you can track s0me of this in the comment threads at hyperstition. his turn rightwards is what intitally influeunced vimothys conversion to the right.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
nick land taught various people at warwick, k punk, kode 9, kodwo eshun. he was a bataille freak and speed addict...

Yeah I remember you talking about the time you met him. "Self-aggrandising amphetamine nerd" was the phrase that stuck in my head.

luka

i dont think i did meet him, although i remember that phrase now you mention it. pretty funny.

luka

hes got a guru complex, has a need for acolytes. i dont disapprove of that particualry, just if i was him id want i better grade of disciple.

Benny Bunter

lol @ this jack donovan guy.

THE WAY OF MEN

What is masculinity?

When someone tells a man to be a man, they mean that there is a way to be a man. A man is not just a thing to be–it is also a way to be, a path to follow and a way to walk.

People are talking about “the end of men,” “the decline of males,” and the so-called “crisis of masculinity.” There are many diagnoses for the troubles men face today, but the chattering class is short on solutions. They refuse to deal honestly with the differences between men and women, and fail to entertain the possibility that their vision of the future offers little of value to average males.

The Way of Men answers the question “What is masculinity?”

Donovan concludes that The Way of Men is the way of the primal survival gang. The simple, amoral, tactical virtues of the gang define our most basic conception of manliness. The “crisis of masculinity” is really a timeless push-and-pull between masculinity and civilization. The world has changed more than men have, and the security and luxury of modernity have put us conflict with our own natures. The path back to honor for men may lead through a new dark age.

http://www.jack-donovan.com/axis/books/the-way-of-men/

luka

There are plenty of groups operating outside of the law in America, relying on violence and blood feuds to settle disputes. The contemptible thing about Donovan is he'd rather role play it. Go and be a Sonny Barger, go and be a Big Meech if you want to test yourself in that world, but remember the stakes are high. People really get killed.
But don't dress up like Kaal Drogo and howl in the woods with your mates and then tell us that's the essence of masculinity.

luka

The aesthetics of it give the game away. The Dothraki horde, Norwegian death metal, Irish-Canadian historical drama television series 'the Vikings'...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There are plenty of groups operating outside of the law in America, relying on violence and blood feuds to settle disputes. The contemptible thing about Donovan is he'd rather role play it. Go and be a Sonny Barger, go and be a Big Meech if you want to test yourself in that world, but remember the stakes are high. People really get killed.
But don't dress up like Kaal Drogo and howl in the woods with your mates and then tell us that's the essence of masculinity.

LOL

I do think an awful lot of this stuff is about nerdy men who are scared of women and therefore resent them.

This Andrew O'Hagen piece about mass killers in the US addresses this issue: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n20/andrew-ohagan/whos-the-alpha-male-now-bitches

And here's my old mucker Martin Amis, also in the LRB, writing on Robert Bly's masculinity-crisis tome 'Iron John': http://www.lrb.co.uk/v13/n23/martin-amis/return-of-the-male

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
http://hyperstition.abstractdynamics.org/

reza, the iranian who wrote cyclonopedia was a contributor here too

I'm friends with Kristen Alvanson (artist/Mrs Reza) on Facebook. Just seen a photo she's posted of a bunch of people sitting on the floor in an apartment surrounded by big scribbled-on squares of card. The caption is

Party at my and reza's place for nick land a couple weeks ago. Talking about the diagrams each person made of how their mind works. That was fun, thanks [------] for the photo.

Kind of disappointed one of them isn't a big amphetamine molecule or an Adderall capsule.

droid

I think this video is important, a high watermark of sorts. Once you realise its not a parody you can see it as a summary of the US alt-right and a vision of SS youtube circa 1937 - except worse. I particularly like the comments - the many open calls for genocide of European non-whites and debates on whether right wing Jews should be allowed in 'the movement'.

droid

And, whilst not entirely germane, Ive now been sucked into an alt-right/Nazi pop pastiche Youtube rabbit hole.

Benny Bunter

LOL

And here's my old mucker Martin Amis, also in the LRB, writing on Robert Bly's masculinity-crisis tome 'Iron John': http://www.lrb.co.uk/v13/n23/martin-amis/return-of-the-male

surprise surprise, jack donovan has reviewed this book too. Verdict: quite good in places but needs more balls

http://www.jack-donovan.com/axis/2010/11/revisiting-iron-john/

a word of warning. this article contains the following words and phrases; 'men’s movement”, 'mancession', 'katabasis for men', 'inner warrior', 'male initiation', 'woundology', 'authentic, organic masculine experience' and 'a wounded male soul'.

:eek: