Tinnitus?

nomos

Administrator
this is my new pet hypochondriac obsession (last year i thought my teeth might be about to crumble, but i think tinnitus is more probable).

i don't tend to be aware of ringing during the day, but once in bed, when everything else has gone quiet, i'm very aware of ringing and lower frequency noise in my ears. i'm not sure what to attribute it too though. i know i have some music-related ear damage, especially in one ear, but i've also read that body noise (blood flow, etc.) and neural noise (the actual sound of your neurons firing, especially during periods of high stress) become audible in quiet surroundings (unbearably so in an anechoic chamber).

N

nomadologist

i've had dreams about my teeth shattering several times. haven't had tinnitus since i was a young kid. both my eardrums burst when i was very young, which i experienced as a sound like thunder, or hammers on sheet metal, and which my parents thought was me hallucinating till both my ears started bleeding weeks later. can still hear somehow, but my ipod might soon be the end of that.

the teeth crumbling thing figures into one of Freud's most obviously cocaine-fueled theories from On the Interpretation of Dreams:

http://www.tnnweb.com/mds/freudsdilemma.html

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I know I've been pushing my luck ears-wise for a long time. DJ'd at a bloody noise show (which I thought would be a quieter drone-type affair) just over a week ago and the nastiness (ringing, loss of high end, 'scratchiness') has only just subsided :eek: How amazing it is to have quality audio back.

Definitely plugs from now on. :(

monkeysblood

born to cry
wow. i've heard of this type of tinnitus reduction, but not as software. has anybody actually investigated it yet? i'd cough up for something that works - though i do tend to just keep listening to music and that ditracts me most of the time anyway.
i remember my grandad one time complaining of ringing in his ears and my grandma reckoning she could hear it. heh.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Post-Sunn0)) gig (and dubstep production at home with ear-drum-worrying crap sub) my left ear started going really weird, white noise swells that came and went when certain pitches were present in the environment I was in, distortions of audio at certain freqencies too, rushes of tinitus sine-tone then after a few days, fine. Seriously weird shit.

Do deaf people like dubstep? (as in the sub waves might be experienced pretty well without audio... hmm?)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I'd be interested to hear of any dubstep/deaf-rave action, just seems a natural combination, and justification for wobblestep!

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
Just remembered too, Alejandro González Iñárritu and Guillermo Arriaga's new film Babel is supposed to contain a sequence in which a completely deaf girl's experience of a nightclub is depicted. I'm really interested in hearing how they go about this. I hope the only local showing isn't at the rep theatre with the less than immersive sound system.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I've had some people tell me that only hi and mid range frequencies cause hearing loss, and that sub is not as/non-damaging.

Anyone care to verify, disprove this hypothesis which I very much want to believe in?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I've heard that too. I've also noticed that with very good sub-heavy sound systems, even if they are painfully loud, there doesn't appear to be any damage done. I think it's nasty frequency spikes in the mids and highs that cause the real problems. Ban shitty PAs and inept sound engineers!

ramadanman

had a ringing in my ears for about 2 weeks now....generally only hear it when in a quiet room and everything is silent. also its a higher frequency than the kind of ringing that i normally get after going to clubs etc.

anyway. it's a bit strange as firstly i always wear earplugs when going out, and secondly this ringing started after i woke up after falling asleep in the middle of the day....going to the doctors next week and hoping for the best...

nomos

Administrator
i was just in my chiropractor's office looking at a wall chart of the skeleton and nervous system. according to the chart tension or subluxations around the base of the neck can cause ringing in the ears. it might have something to do with pressure put on the nerves. that would make sense in my case because any ringing i have is always at its worst when i have a lot of tension in that area.

Guybrush

Dittohead
I was trying out my new headphones two days ago and had cranked up the volume on my stereo and my computer to the max to see how much noise they produced by themselves. To my horror, I found out that my soundcard produces a VERY LOUD BEEP when dragging the virtual volume bar to the max-level. My body felt all weird for several minutes after being exposed to this ghastly roar, but thankfully no ringing in my ears—yet.

P

Parson

I'd be interested to hear of any dubstep/deaf-rave action, just seems a natural combination, and justification for wobblestep!

when i first started going to raves n shit back in the day, there was a group of deaf kids that were always hanging around. they LOVED clubbing. they can very much feel the bass/rhythms, and loved dancing

Guybrush

Dittohead
when i first started going to raves n shit back in the day, there was a group of deaf kids that were always hanging around. they LOVED clubbing. they can very much feel the bass/rhythms, and loved dancing
Cool. Did they dance in time with the music or did they look like they had no sense of rhythm at all? (I would imagine the latter since bass is very, eh, ‘muddy’.)