Dalston/Hackney/Stokey news

john eden

male pale and stale
Why the hell is it called The Bow Bells though? I thought that the Bow Bells you had to be born within the sound of to be a cockney was on Cheapside not in Bow. Did the person who named the pub just get it wrong or do they know something that I don't?

Yeah, it was the cinema, cheers. Anyone ever been to the cinema further to the north that's closed now? What was that like and when did it close? Went to a party last week that was supposed to be in there but it moved to another venue unfortunately.
This is the place I'm on about (no more fancy links from me)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/6/8281608_f837995b54.jpg?v=0

That one's been closed for years and years.

crackerjack

Why the hell is it called The Bow Bells though? I thought that the Bow Bells you had to be born within the sound of to be a cockney was on Cheapside not in Bow. Did the person who named the pub just get it wrong or do they know something that I don't?

Yeah - they know that most people don't know that and it just works as a name anyway. Plus there's a church a few yards away (not just any old church either, but the one with the Gladstone statue in front).

http://www.unionhistory.info/matchworkers/matchworkers.php

Then there was the story of the Gladstone Statue. Annie Besant said the girls had told her that the Director, Theodore Bryant, a prominent liberal, had deducted a shilling from their wages as a contribution to the erection of a statue to the Liberal Prime Minister on Bow Road, near the factory, by the ancient church. Some of the workers had revolted:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Yeah - they know that most people don't know that and it just works as a name anyway."
Wonder how long it's been called that - either way there is a saying along the lines of "nobody ever got poor underestimating the intelligence of the general public" which seems fairly apt here.

sufi

lala
What about the Hackney Gazette news stands?
for me that is an outstanding feature of Dalston life,

i've never seen such LURID and GRISLY headlines, truly whoever comes up with them has a real unique talent

2852121385_5bb31274a2_m.jpg

2710629747_3144035790_m.jpg

278295797_d6c7555d25_m.jpg

prolly deserves their own thread if not a whole blog, anyone?

crackerjack

What about the Hackney Gazette news stands?
for me that is an outstanding feature of Dalston life,

i've never seen such LURID and GRISLY headlines, truly whoever comes up with them has a real unique talent

2852121385_5bb31274a2_m.jpg

2710629747_3144035790_m.jpg

278295797_d6c7555d25_m.jpg

prolly deserves their own thread if not a whole blog, anyone?

The first one sounds like one of Idlerich or Craner's favourite movies.

john eden

male pale and stale
The gazette is mental - I had to stop buying it for a while cos the constant stream of reports on knifecrime and rapings and crack were having a detrimental effect on my perception of the borough, ha ha.

It is bleak but some real gems in there - the dwarf was "battered" by his brother iirc.

Has anyone else had letters published in the gaz? I have. :cool:

gazdec04.jpg

luka

the brittainia is great but pales in comparison with the mighty brothers on water lane in stratford.
interested to know what other chippies people rate in east.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"interested to know what other chippies people rate in east."
What's that Faulkners place like? It looks as though it's too posh to be a chippie but part of me wonders if it will do super-duper posh chips that are better than any I've ever had before. There are at least four nearer ones to me though so I've never bothered to find out.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
the brittainia is great but pales in comparison with the mighty brothers on water lane in stratford.
interested to know what other chippies people rate in east.

all chips down south, whether east or west are shit. fact!

crackerjack

all chips down south, whether east or west are shit. fact!

Heh heh, true dat - always better with gravy. Battered Cod in Ladybarn, Manchester is the biz.

What's that Faulkners place like? It looks as though it's too posh to be a chippie but part of me wonders if it will do super-duper posh chips that are better than any I've ever had before.

Fantastic, but very expensive. Went there the other week, didn't check the price and thought he'd made a mistake when I got £2.50 change from a tenner for fish & chips. But it's worth it - chips are very nice and the fish is the size of a hardback, but rather tastier. Also good on the posh chip tip is the one in Victoria Pk Village - it's so posh they won't sell you anything but fish, chips and the odd heritage side dish (pickled onion, mushy peas) - immensely popular with the young m/c of the area who haven't worked out quiote how broke they are yet.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

What with all this talk of chippies, I can't help but imagine the poor sod being dangled by his ankles into a deep fat fryer by some sadistic crack dealer who also runs a chip shop as a money-laundering front.