Jordan Peterson thinks it makes sense to compare humans with lobsters

luka

i was reading this bubbes guy this morning, slotherdjik
its been freaking me out a bit cos theres a lot of my ideas in there
i would say he is the continental answer to peterson. basically the same (bluffing)
technique but better read. i sort of see them as my people in a way.
so although i know theyre ridiculous i also feel affectionate towards them.

b

luka

like this is me

What then are the conditions necessary to invoke the demon, and how does one make it talk? The enclosed space, like the magician’s circle, is a given. Within the circle the magician is protected. The demon is safely contained. The therapist’s room, like the magician’s circle is a special kind of space. The rules are suspended. Reality is more malleable there, and experiments can be made in relative safety. Old habits are sloughed off, new selves are tried on for size, like costumes plucked from the dressing up box.
This is the frame. The bubble. It is unimportant whether the frame is formally demarcated but it is must be there, at least implicitly. By sealing off the outside world, what is formed is analogous to the bubble universes of speculative physics. Ideally, what happens in the bubble universe allows the client to be stronger, wiser, kinder and more contented on returning to the wider world.

luka

it's not thinking in any meaningful sense of the word. it's something else. less reputable

firefinga

Isn't that guy the equivalent of this "alt-right vs SJW" - thing in "academia" ? Meaning, he is the 4chan college professor or something?

You can't take this circus seriously, anyways.

Last edited:

luka

sloterdijk = peterson is a pretty hot take

a much more sophisticated version. but the game is the same game.
it's creating metaphors and models for experience. it's not an application of logic
or whatever. it's not formal and procedural.

Woebot

There's a good one in Kate Millet's Sexual Politics about this guy Konrad Lorenz who came up with the idea of the "cichlid effect" to justify male agression in relationships with women (which JBP also does), a cichlid being a species of prehistoric fish which he examined "to conclude that the male cichlids failed to find the courage to mate unless the female of their species responded with ‘awe’. How one measures ‘awe’ in a fish is a question perhaps better left unanswered..."

excellent data

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I initially misread 'awe' as 'aww' and now in my head a cichlid looks like some cutesy thing with huge eyes from a Studio Ghibli film.

Last edited:

Woebot

I'm not sure what 'higher instincts' you'd attribute to dolphins. They're just slimy rape machines. Would love to smack one in the face, wipe that stupid grin off.

first edit said "(probably) dolphins" - then i thought it kinda undermined my argument. i'm willing to give dolphins the benefit of the doubt - but come to think of it, wasn't that the result of all lilley's tests - that he couldn't communicate with them https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/08/the-dolphin-who-loved-me

*dolphones i typed there briefly

vimothy

yurp
benny's right though, essentially - the argument is that X is a natural phenomenon, therefore X is - somehow - morally justified

luka

benny's right though, essentially - the argument is that X is a natural phenomenon, therefore X is - somehow - morally justified

thats the lobster argument. i should have been clearer. i was talking about his dragon-chaos, inane archetypes stuff... i.e. the stuff he is really proud of.

vimothy

yurp
the lobster thing is not necessarily wrong or outrageous, but it is an attempt to justify some norms by referring to outcomes in the natural world

luka

the lobster thing is not necessarily wrong or outrageous, but it is an attempt to justify some norms by referring to outcomes in the natural world

it's indisputably comical though whatever your take on it.

vimothy

yurp
true, but every random idiotic thing he says is being pounced on, thats more about the strange media situation that's spun up around him.