Leo

current NY Times home page:

President Trump said he raised the issue of Russian interference in the 2016 American election, and President Vladimir V. Putin again denied it.
But when asked directly whether he believed Mr. Putin or his own intelligence agencies, Mr. Trump declined to answer.

fucking traitor.

Leo

axios reporter Jonathan swan:

"I just have no words. As press in this room, we are all sitting in here speechless and stunned. Trump cast doubt over the U.S. intelligence community and endorsed Putin’s denial. Trump was given an opportunity to denounce the meddling and he didn’t; he just pivoted to lines about the missing server and Hillary’s emails. While Putin spoke forcefully, lying, Trump nodded along. There’s no way of sugar coating or spinning this."

droid

The liberal hyperbole is exceptional. It is remarkable but this doesnt even rank in the top thousand worst days in American History.

One thing that does occur is that the meeting itself was also another level of Kompromat. What's to stop Putin releasing his tape of the meeting (obv he recorded it)? What's to stop him doctoring the tape and releasing it? Its an almost cliched example of spycraft, pulling unwilling agents deeper and deeper into a web of dependence and blackmail.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
TBH I expect gathering further 'Kompromat' on Trump would probably be about as difficult as putting him in a room with a chair with a camera pointing at it, and a button next to the chair labelled "PRESS THIS BUTTON TO BE FELLATED BY SEVERAL RAVISHING SLAVIC BEAUTIES".

Leo

The liberal hyperbole is exceptional. It is remarkable but this doesnt even rank in the top thousand worst days in American History.

One thing that does occur is that the meeting itself was also another level of Kompromat. What's to stop Putin releasing his tape of the meeting (obv he recorded it)? What's to stop him doctoring the tape and releasing it? Its an almost cliched example of spycraft, pulling unwilling agents deeper and deeper into a web of dependence and blackmail.

totally agree with your second point.

if you're first sentence refers to the swan quote I posted, nothing in it is hyperbole, he's just recounting what went on in the room. and sure, some crazy liberals are going over the top as they always do, but this was pretty fucking bad (unless you're getting numbed to the onslaught). I get your point, the US has done worse evil things, etc., but I wouldn't be flippant about it.

droid

Im already in for about €200 on this!

The only way Trump will get re-elected is if all pretence at democracy is abandoned in the US. As it is, I cant see his reign continuing for much longer without martial law, let alone an extra 4 years. Im bullish about November as well. GOP is gonna get slaughtered, well beyond the current poll estimates.

vimothy

yurp
some good points in this blog: https://www.lawfareblog.com/uncomfo...dictment-20-and-trumps-press-conference-putin

As the Snowden documents and David Sanger’s great new book and other books make plain, and as U.S. officials are wont to brag, the U.S. intelligence services break into computers and computer networks abroad at an astounding rate, certainly on a greater scale than any other intelligence service in the world. Every one of these intrusions in another country violates that country’s criminal laws prohibiting unauthorized computer access and damage, no less than the Russian violations of U.S. laws outlined in Mueller’s indictment.

There is a lot of anger against WikiLeaks and a lot of support for indicting Julian Assange and others related to WikiLeaks for their part in publishing the information stolen by the Russians. If Mueller goes in this direction, he will need to be very careful not to indict Assange for something U.S. journalists do every day. U.S. newspapers publish information stolen via digital means all the time. They also openly solicit such information through SecureDrop portals.

droid

Hang on, I thought your whole thing was that democracy had been abandoned in the US already?!?

Pretence!

The US is a plutocracy and has been for many years, but there remains a vestige of democratic infrastructure, and the only way Trump could continue to a second term is if that is dismantled or the process of subversion is completed.

craner

Beast of Burden
Pretence!

The US is a plutocracy and has been for many years, but there remains a vestige of democratic infrastructure, and the only way Trump could continue to a second term is if that is dismantled or the process of subversion is completed.

Complex :crylarf:

craner

Beast of Burden
Maybe America will just vote for him again, in a close contest. Just thinking outside of the box, here.

craner

Beast of Burden
Well, uh...Yes. A bit. But even so, I guess my thought processes are quite simple, yet have some accuracy. ;)