luka

Like I say it doesn't take much to sabotage the machine and someone intent on doing so as he so often is can do it very easily.

mvuent

Void Dweller
not even trying to defend third I'm just curious what you feel is off limits or annoying in these threads

luka

It's like your doing a magic trick at a children's party and some little fat kid is shouting that's not real magic and spoils it for everyone. Tears everywhere, tantrums, sour faces.

luka

not even trying to defend third I'm just curious what you feel is off limits or annoying in these threads

Anything that makes it break down. And it's pretty much only third that makes that his is sole ambition. Other people seem to be able to join in and enjoy themselves and not feel they have to smash up the nice thing someone is trying to make

sadmanbarty

nobody should worry about disagreeing here, that's the last thing i want. you’re not going to get a bollocking from me just for disagreeing, the situation’s more fraught with third because there’s some history there.

in terms of successful dissent, it happens all the time without any issues at all. just today on choon of the day luke and corspe disagreed with me about something. people are disagreeing on the da baby thread without any problems. the madteo thread .the 2010’s thread, etc. etc. no problems at all.

as it happens i do think threads are better when people play along rather than these tugs of war being set up though. so for example the premise of the ‘beyond soul’ thread is that the music i listen to is soulless. of course i disagree with that, but i played along instead of trying to refute it and it was an infinitely better thread because of it. ideas were generated, conversations were opened up, etc. i was talking “the man” earlier in this thread and i don’t even believe in “the man”, it’s just a way of coming up with something fun and novel.

in terms of this evening it felt to me at least that we went from this open conversation where new ideas were being generated to shifting gears and just repeating a conversation we’ve had- without exaggeration- dozens of times over the last year or two. also i felt the conversational scope was narrowing down into “barty vs third”, which is a dynamic that’s ruined lots of threads in the past and doesn’t really achieve anything; it stops conversations dead in their tracks and excludes other posters.

as i said the me and third dynamic has caused problems before and there have been a couple o other users who’ve felt inhibited posting for similar reasons.

all that being said maybe my attempts to nip it in the bud were premature or unwarranted in which case sorry about that.

luka

I don't want to hurt his feelings either which is why we've all let it run on so long on this frustrating way. I want him to be able to join in and play along. He's a cool guy.

version

I sometimes think of it as like being on a barge, reaching a lock then everyone bickering and forgetting to raise the water level and open it.

sadmanbarty

bringing up something as irrelevant as the drill-chopin thing gave me the indication that all pretences of this being about the thread were about to be abandoned and it was yet again just about barty vs third.

luka

Pretty much every thread you see us trying to get off the ground and make productive he'll be trying to rubbish it and close it down by ranting crying writing gibberish posting irrelevant youtubes making bizzare accusations weird paranoid nonsense and scab picking in his ceaseless war of attrition against the very possibility of anything good being created

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

i was feeling bad about being so aggressive, so i'm glad luke's shifted the emotional overton window. lets me off the hook.

luka

A war on allowing anything ever to happen be created developed made or anyone to enjoy themselves ever. Gum the gears. Snarl the traffic. Shut it all down.

sadmanbarty

i would add there have been many, many couple's counselling sessions between me and third. we're well acquainted with one another's quirks; we've had many conversations about our relationship.

version

You don't have to respond. You can just carry on talking to everyone else. I'd say the same to third if something you do annoys him. There's no obligation to engage with it.

mvuent

Void Dweller
I sometimes think of it as like being on a barge, reaching a lock then everyone bickering and forgetting to raise the water level and open it.
^lol @ that image

so if I'm understanding correctly there are sort of two concerns here: having someone who's persistently not playing along with a premise can be a kind of a wind out of the sails thing psychologically for those who are, and also you can get bogged down in debates over premises that you've had a million times already. fair enough, thanks for clarifying. still would be happy to see things continuing when possible (as version just said while I was writing this), but no one's ever disagreed with me on this site (bc when I post im always right) so idk.

luka

A war on allowing anything ever to happen be created developed made or anyone to enjoy themselves ever. Gum the gears. Snarl the traffic. Shut it all down.

I don't go and try and sabotage his confeld Facebook group I just look at it and go cool third is the boss and he's running the show and his crowd love it that's great

luka

He's the ringmaster and he's engaging thoughtfully and considerately with everyone and they all clearly respect him and love him. He's perfectly integrated into the group.

luka

I've never felt the urge to do a big shit in the middle of that. Anytime you get something to work like that it's a beautiful thing. People buying into it. Contributing. It's difficult to do.

luka

Those kinds of positive group dynamics are very difficult to foster and they are very very fragile.