droid

Eco's 'Numero Zero'. Bit of a strange one. Slight return to Foulcaut's pendulum with a fake newspaper, media commentary and conspiracy about Mussolini's death. Craner would like it.

luka

A secret history of the world by Jonathan Black. Goggle the reviews they're hilariously bad. Its my favourite book.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"One of us" by Asne Seierstad

It's about Anders Breivik. Most insane thing of a big pile of insane things I've found out about him - he bought his own mother a vibrator, and quizzed her about her use of it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've recently finished this:

north-cover-front.jpg

http://strangeattractor.co.uk/shoppe/north/ and http://polarcosmology.com/

It's by a friend of mine (DannyL knows him too - in fact I know him through Dan) so in a sense I can't really give an impartial account of it, but I'll try anyway. The central thesis is that from the very earliest cultures that had any kind of social hierarchy (i.e. from the adoption of husbandry and/or agriculture onwards) up until the Copernican revolution that heralded the transition in Europe from the Middle Ages to the early modern era, societies in many parts of the world had a shared cosmology that placed central importance on the celestial pole, envisaged as an axis mundi or World Tree, and that this was manifested on Earth in the person of the shaman, priest-chief, Pharaoh, emperor or in later times the divinely appointed king or caliph, who formed a conduit between the earthly realm (and ordinary people) and the realm of god/s, imagined as being in some sense Up There beyond the physical heavens. This was preceded by a much longer epoch in which largely leaderless hunter-gatherer bands viewed the world in fundamentally horizontal terms (the ground/sky dichotomy, mirroring their horizontal social structure), and was followed by a period that kicked off with Copernicus's heliocentric revolution and reached its apotheosis in Newton's unification of terrestrial and celestial mechanics, in which the celestial pole lost its special meaning but the terrestrial poles, in the course of being discovered and explored, took on an aura of otherworldliness, citing hollow-Earth theorists, Nazi occultists, Poe, Lovecraft, The Thing and Cyclonopedia.

Um, that's the gist, anyway. I think he's walked an extremely fine line between a work that's clearly hugely personal and subjective (the prologue begins with a description of an acid trip going horribly wrong at Glastonbury festival in the early '90s) and and one that's objective and scholarly, with a huge wealth of citations, many from very serious anthropologists, archaeologists, historians and philosophers. And unlike a lot of authors with a 'fringe' theory to promote, he rarely overstates his case and is happy to admit when evidence is tenuous or open to interpretation.

I got a lot out of it, as you can see, and I'm sure it would appeal to plenty of other regulars here. Highly recommended (and no, he hasn't got me on a commission!).

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

One of the last books I read was Pasolini on Pasolini, series of interviews taken in the early 70s before he started filming for Salo and discusses his cinematic work up to that point. Also read William Gibson's "Distrust That Particular Flavor" because I apparently needed to kill myself via pages of paper.

Now trying A Brief History of 7 Killings.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
About to finish 'Freaky Deaky' by Elmore Leonard. Not as good as 'Killshot', but still cracking. I want to read more by him - maybe 'LaBrava' next.

Probably will read Oliver Sack's autobiography after that, though.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I've recently finished this:

north-cover-front.jpg

http://strangeattractor.co.uk/shoppe/north/ and http://polarcosmology.com/

It's by a friend of mine (DannyL knows him too - in fact I know him through Dan) so in a sense I can't really give an impartial account of it, but I'll try anyway.

Glad to hear you've read it! My copy is lurking unread in my flat somewhere, making me feel guilty.

I am reading Aziz Ansani's "Modern Romance" which I should maybe use as a cue to post Yo Gotti's "Down in the DM". Lightweight but entertaining stuff about online dating etc.

This is a break from the monumental EP Thompson "Making of the English Working Class" which is staggeringly good but 900 pages long. I'm about halfway through. I've just finished an utterly berserk section where he goes HAM on Methodism, denouncing it as a totally fucked up death cult. It'd rival ISIS in some respects. Brilliant stuff but hard to read and integrate it all. Fun to see him put the boot into the reactionary scholars who preceded him as well.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've nearly finished Kent Kiehl's 'The Psychopath Whisperer'. Gripping book about the advances made in the last 20-odd years in understanding what makes a psychopath, with particular attention to results from fMRI scans taken of the brains of lifers who score high on the behavioural checklist for psychopathy.

If I have a criticism it's that the author dwells a great deal on his own achievements, but I guess he's entitled to when he's made as important contributions to such a vital field of medicine and science as he has. Also he has a tendency to explain terms that any reasonably educated reader would probably know already and then use psychiatry jargon like 'shallow affect' without explanation. But these are minor gripes really, it's a good read.

Back to IJ once I've finished it.

Edit: Dan, do yourself a favour and read 'North', it's really great. I'm pretty sure I'd have enjoyed it nearly as much if I'd never met Gyrus, but as I said, that just gives it an additional element of interest.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
Gyrus is a nice guy.

I'm reading Bruce Robinson's (he of Withnail and I) book about Jack the Ripper and the masons. It's occasionally obnoxious but a good anti establishment rant with the kind of i of control of language you'd expect

droid

Eco's 'Numero Zero'. Bit of a strange one. Slight return to Foulcaut's pendulum with a fake newspaper, media commentary and conspiracy about Mussolini's death. Craner would like it.

Heard about his death literally 30 seconds after finishing this. RIP.

luka

I'm a fan of books like holy blood, holy grail and Graham Hancock. If you're not into that and you expect 19th standards of scholarship and erudition you'll be disappointed

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm a fan of books like holy blood, holy grail

I've been half-tempted to read this ever since I heard about the authors' failed lawsuit against Dan Brown's publisher. Is it just funny-because-it's-ridiculous or is it actually interesting as well?

luka

None of these things are ridiculous. They are often sloppily argued and hastily cobbled together but they're not ridiculous. You won't understand 'creativity' until you understand this stuff fully. Imagination is not about making things up.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm pretty sure those guys did make a lot of stuff up though...

TBC I'm not down on the idea of making stuff up, obviously.

luka

Which is not to say it's all true, or that even any of it is true. But there is a tradition that is being leaned on.

Last edited: