version

It is interesting to hear how drugs translate into music, like would the Spice Girls have even existed without spice?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Cos they're all great

Of course if you'd included the big bang theory here I'd not have been able to say this

But who doesn't love McDonald's and Xanax?

xanax is nice. mcdonalds is vile. who would eat mcdonalds when they could go for a local chicken madras?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Don't trust people who never eat McDonald's, I group them with people who don't own a TV. Suspicious elements.

luka

I can't help thinking that if it was that easy to make a band as big as the Beatles record companies would keep repeating the trick.

luka

We're talking about the forces behind history essentially. What folds history into this or that origami pattern.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I can't help thinking that if it was that easy to make a band as big as the Beatles record companies would keep repeating the trick.

the beatles really aren't that big though. they are only big in a western context and a predominantly (though not exclusively) bourgeois context in peripheral countries. worldwide umm kulthum was a far greater superstar. that's incontrovertible fact.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Why Max Martin?

Cos he's got some weird savant talent for writing melodies people enjoy. Lennon and McCartney, same.

luka

I don't want to argue about the beatles exactly, there's a thread already and in any case it always upsets the true believers (matthew, droid and corpsey). It's like spitting on a crucifix.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well corpse needs to stop defaulting to sanatised forms of intelligentsia then. that's my brief alex ferguson talk. go on lad. work the rest out yourself.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't want to argue about the beatles exactly, there's a thread already and in any case it always upsets the true believers (matthew, droid and corpsey). It's like spitting on a crucifix.

Anyway it's not that i hate the beatles, like you i just find them unremarkable and very middle of the road. I'm just not a believer. I can appreciate their music I just don't believe the myth around them.

luka

So fsr we've got the conspiratorial model droid put forward (the Beatles are big because They rammed it down our throats) the circular model version offered (the Beatles were big cos the preconditions for a Beatles shaped event were present and the naive explanation corpsey gave us (the Beatles were big cos people liked them)

luka

The mate I had to stay in Devon surprised me. We had got on to talking about sacred sites. Why Lud Hill for instance had been a site of worship for at least a thousand years and he reckons it is the result of a single person at some point just making upa big lie ("to sell some holy water or something") this is the droid argument and I find it very unsatisfactory.

luka

of a person) natural and unaffected; innocent.
"Corpsey had a sweet, naive look when he smiled"
synonyms: innocent, unsophisticated, artless, ingenuous, inexperienced, guileless, unworldly, childlike, trusting, trustful, dewy-eyed, starry-eyed, wide-eyed, fond, simple, natural, unaffected, unpretentious

luka

I don't think your explanation is any worse than the others, it's just the mirror image of droids cynicism.

droid

The mate I had to stay in Devon surprised me. We had got on to talking about sacred sites. Why Lud Hill for instance had been a site of worship for at least a thousand years and he reckons it is the result of a single person at some point just making upa big lie ("to sell some holy water or something") this is the droid argument and I find it very unsatisfactory.

Well, the argument that the druids and various other cults & religions concocted their systems in order to gain protected positions of power is nothing new.

That doesn't change the fact that there is deep seated desire in humans for some kind of altered state. An escape from the unending horror of consciousness.

The argument I raise here is how that desire is shaped & channelled.

droid

So fsr we've got the conspiratorial model droid put forward (the Beatles are big because They rammed it down our throats) the circular model version offered (the Beatles were big cos the preconditions for a Beatles shaped event were present and the naive explanation corpsey gave us (the Beatles were big cos people liked them)

Thats not my argument at all. The Beatles are/were big because they were very good at what they did, which was producing music that was unconventional enough to intrigue but not so experimental as to alienate the everyman - so Im closer to Corpsey here.

The Beatles were big because their later songs used fat, wobbly bass. They and their engineers pioneered overdubbing. The results sounded different to everyone else at the time and that excited people. Whatever else they were or were claimed to be, they were sonic pioneers.