IdleRich

IdleRich
Anyone else seen this? I thought it was really good, but I imagine it's an epic divider of opinion. Genuinely weird.
At Halloween I asked for horror film recommends and this was one of them I think. Watched about twenty but this wasn't one of them in the end. Maybe I should watch it.

luka

I watched gremlins today. Not seen it before. Quite good until they turn into gremlins. Sort of stupid after that. Get a bit annoyed with it. Might not bother with gremlins two, see how we go eh

glasshand

dj panic attack
Black 47 is now on netflix. You should all watch it.

I watched it, I liked it. would agree with what you said bout the weak narrative but it was good overall.

someone in this thread recommended 12 o clock boys and I must have watched it at least 5 times now, possibly one of my fave films. anyone got any recommendations on a similar vibe?

glasshand

dj panic attack
as I'm asking for a rec, here's a couple docs I would recommend, apologies if they've already been mentioned - Being Blacker and The Funeral Murders. I remember they were both on the bbc last year

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Watched 'The Player' the other night, with Tim Robbins as a Hollywood agent who sortofaccidentally kills someone. Anyone seen it? I really enjoyed it, and I was fascinated by how it made me feel emotionally involved in the plot despite constant postmodern winks undermining the 'reality' of it all.

version

Watched 'The Player' the other night, with Tim Robbins as a Hollywood agent who sortofaccidentally kills someone. Anyone seen it? I really enjoyed it, and I was fascinated by how it made me feel emotionally involved in the plot despite constant postmodern winks undermining the 'reality' of it all.

Yeah, love it. The opening is brilliant, the guy talking about the tracking shot in Touch of Evil during the tracking shot...

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I enjoyed Under the Silver Lake a lot. It's flawed in its treatment of women (always naked pretty much) and artistically does owe a lot to David Lynch and the like. But I like David Lynch so a slacker movie with a hint of Neon Demon and a touch of Ellroy but directed by Lynch with some pop-culture conspiracy stuff mixed in is always gonna press my buttons. Anyone else seen it? Would like to discuss it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know it's a mug's game to ask for explanations of the details but... SPOILER how come they killed the guy out of Mad Men and the woman whose dad disappeared but at the end they said to the main guy "We probably won't kill you but don't tell anyone"? I don't expect an answer to that but I found it mildly unsatisfactory, almost a lack of internal consistency.

glasshand

dj panic attack
I watched Calibre a month ago, really really liked it. one of the best straight to netflix films I've seen and not really what I thought they would fund - thriller set in rural Scotland

CrowleyHead

Curtis Harrington's Night Tide smokes and is probably v. in the lexicon of the stuff the board wants to see. Also on youtube for free, with a young Dennis Hopper!

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
paris is us

i like these kind of movies. floaty and dreamy. no real plot but rather a collage of moments, memories and impressions. it felt very human and universal. innovative cinematography and good editing. traffic lights switching colours on empty streets, waves crashing against piers. even if they are cliches i don't care, they are effective and they work. stroboscopes in a club, same thing.

DLaurent

Serie Noire is Jim Thompson through and through even with Perec cowriting and being French with Patrick Dewaere, playing a down on his luck salesman who goes from bad to worse when his wife finds out he jacked a client with his new, almost mute, underage girlfriend.

images (Altman) is a schizophrenic horror flick has with Susanah York.

muser

I got a random urge to watch human traffic the other night (not so random it seems as the sequels coming out soon but it was subconscious) and when searching for it in Netflix came across a really good film about human trafficking/sex slavery in Mexico called "The chosen ones" thought it was fantastic.

DLaurent

I'd confused Paris Is Us with 'Noturama' for some reason, apparently available on Netflix. Not really a recommendation but I found it watchable. About a group of kids turned terrorists with one scene of them dancing to some electronic music before blowing up Paris.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/program/video/10yearshayaomiyazaki/

4 part docu following Hayayo Miyazaki over 10 years up until his retirement. Its really quite an emotional ride. Didn't expect to be shown such an intimate portrait of the guy. The way they show the relationship between him and his son is some moving shit. Valuable lessons for all parents in there. He was absent a lot due to working on his films. His son eventually became a director too. And his battle with aging is another ride. Moving stuff.