That film about Joe Strummer

crackerjack

what was the point? ruin an amazing song? they managed that 'fe real'!

I'll rehash the point I've made for decades one more time. Marley and Lee Perry wrote Punky Reggae Party as a direct result of hearing their version of P&T. If it's good enough for them...

john eden

male pale and stale
I'll rehash the point I've made for decades one more time. Marley and Lee Perry wrote Punky Reggae Party as a direct result of hearing their version of P&T. If it's good enough for them...

Reggae artists in "cash-in tune" phenomenon shock horror!

This puts punk on a par with a new dance craze or bread shortage in Kingston.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Yeah that police and thieves is as good as any pub covers band doing a cod reggae cover, lets applaud the clash for that one...
damn at least the slits did it with the understanding that they couldn't.

I completely disagree, I loved this track live and even if it is a pub cover in your mind - the role this track played was massive on scene.

swears

preppy-kei
Do you think a lot of the original ravers were punks ten years earlier?
If you were 15 in 1978 and 25 in 1988, then there's a chance you could have been both if you had a general interest in things outside of the mainstream.

john eden

male pale and stale
Where I grew up, the punks in '88 organised squat parties with little crossed-out smiley faces on them to indicate that they were keepin it real with PROPER INSTRUMENTS and lyrics about STATE CONTROL.

vimothy

yurp
Where I grew up, the punks in '88 organised squat parties with little crossed-out smiley faces on them to indicate that they were keepin it real with PROPER INSTRUMENTS and lyrics about STATE CONTROL.

Whereas nowadays its crappy acid techno, ketamine and special brew

DRMHCP

@ DRMHCP Perhaps I misunderstood the original post and Certainly not if you were a follower of Weatherall and the other alternative acid DJ's. And yes I can recall clearly The Clash being played at The Trip.

"The Trip and Clink St" - props to you Sir for just lightening my Thursday at the mere mention of those names. :)

forgot about this thread!
yes I think we were at cross purposes...I suppose the Andrew Weatherall scene ploughed its own furrow from the beginning...I can't really comment as I didn't go to any of his nights...and to be honest he used to slag off the other (vast majority) side of the scene quite a bit. Always found him/the Boys Own crew interesting to read but way too elitist eg all this talk of being an Acid Ted if you werent one of some tiny west end in-crowd.
Re the Clash and Trip you must have been quite surprised to hear it there that night and surely there were a lot of bemused punters as it must have stuck out a mile. But then they used to play "The Ovalteenies" at the Windsor Safari nights way back too:)

Last edited:

DRMHCP

The Clash and the scene around them helped invent acid house. Mick Jones especially was a crucial link. Oh how people forget their history.

From someone who was there (on the English side of it) I don't remember the slightest link between The Clash and Acid House and as far as the American originators went and as someone's already said if it was influenced by anything European it was the obvious Kraftwerk, obscure euro-disco and a bit of English New Romantic type synth pop.
As someone else said surely we have to admit the white guitar band was completely irrelevant to this movement.

Also surely as John Eden said the average punk back in 1988 hated the scene because it wasnt "real music" (just what their hippy predecessors had once said about punk but at least they were "all rockers together" deep down and so the hate wasnt maybe quite as vitriolic as it was to a scene that in 1988 threatened to not fight against all the old rock verities but totally ignore them).

Funny enough just before I moved back up here I was in a pub in High Wycombe which used to play dance music and which clubbers used to use to score pills etc but which sometimes had a live band on a stage round the back. It was an old local punk band (from 1976/77) reunion and i remember the lead singer 8 or so years after 1988/89 taking time out between songs to slag off with real venom the dance music scene which he must have still seen as some kind of threat.

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
As someone else said surely we have to admit the white guitar band was completely irrelevant to this movement.

Except to say that some people in guitar bands were into house at that time and helped to spread the word and vibe to their audiences.

john eden

male pale and stale
i remember the lead singer 8 or so years after 1988/89 taking time out between songs to slag off with real venom the dance music scene which he must have still seen as some kind of threat.

it would be so great to get a recording of that and use it as a sample... :)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Marshall Jefferson has said that I've Lost Control was meant to capture the atmosphere of old Black Sabbath or Led Zep records. :p

Does the Clash connection come rather tenuously (no, extremely tenuously) from the fact that Larry Levan used to cane The Magnificent Seven? I wouldn't be massively surprised if their punk / funk whatever stuff had been played by the Balearic DJ's too, and thus got transplanted to Shoom and the like. It's still not exactly inventing acid house, though..

DRMHCP

it might actually exist as they were THE big local punk band around there and these reunions were the first for about 15 years...my girlfriend at the time (definitely not into dance music!) actually came to the pub to see them. They had some pretty devoted fans so you never know someone might have recorded it. They were called the Xtraverts and I think they had a couple of singles in the late seventies.

DRMHCP

I wouldn't be massively surprised if their punk / funk whatever stuff had been played by the Balearic DJ's too, and thus got transplanted to Shoom and the like. It's still not exactly inventing acid house, though..

Yes I could see there more funky stuff fitting in on the Balearic Scene as wasn't the definition of Balearic sort of anything goes...Thrashing Doves, Italian pop disco, Blow Monkeys, Chris Rea etc

swears

preppy-kei

There was a big beat record that used a sample of some American guy saying "Your music, rock and roll, it's the devil's music! You play it back, you hear the devil speaking!"
What was that? It was on Skint or something.

john eden

male pale and stale
There was a big beat record that used a sample of some American guy saying "Your music, rock and roll, it's the devil's music! You play it back, you hear the devil speaking!"
What was that? It was on Skint or something.

Midfield General - Devil in sports casual iirc :cool:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
There are many connections between the Clash and acid house, which I shall not bore you with here.

Oh, and when I saw them in 1981, they were supported by a New York electro / hiphop group and they had Futura 2000 doing graffiti behind them throughout the whole gig.

Saw the film a few weeks ago, absolutely excellent. Couldn't believe JUST how much of a twat Joe Strummer was. Great music (mostly) and a great icon though.