house and techno are bad

mms

sometimes
The beat of the drum is an echo of the beat of the heart - maybe you suffer from cardiac arrythmia.

Healthy people like house and techno.

i have arrythmia and i like both, im no fan of boom boom boom but even in the most boom boom techno like robert hood the sounds sit at front in the mix and just break the pattern of the 4 4 kick, they create the rhythm, house is more shaky the emphasis in good house is always around the 4 4

and the idea that 4 4 and more broken stuff is nonsense garage and 2 step and house and funky mix it up nice so does techno and electro.

placid

t

Dismissing whole genres based on whether they are 4 to the floor or not is short sighted at best

Btw fedde le grande is not 'Techno', Spiller is not 'house'

mixed_biscuits

massrock

mbase11.jpg
mbase11.jpg
mbase11.jpg
mbase11.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
i used to be against 4 on the floor when i went through an idm phase :eek:

of course most of it is rubbish just like with everything else. but this reductionist pulse is a valid way of doing things. a bit over done by now and the clubs are desperately in need of more interesting rhythms.

Papercut

cut to the bone
A lot of 80s and 90s synths have definable tuning tables so this shouldn't be too hard, I've got an E-MU module that has some JI tunings built in. Might be wrong but I think this is something that's left out of most modern synths and soft synths. Obv. a lot of sample based stuff will have weird tunings but not in a precise way.

Darn the oppressive hegemonic tonal domination of equal temperament. :mad:

loads of softsynths like U-he zebra, camel alchemy, z3ta etc take .tun files or Scala files or whatever. if you're triggering hardsynths with midi, its so easy to use alternative tunings.

people do use them all the time, matthew johnson's uses alt tunings really obviously.

any time signature can be boring if the tracks boring.

Papercut

cut to the bone
Ah, jolly good. Those are all quality synths as well so I understand, I'd need a fatter computer to run them properly though. Would like to give that Alchemy one a go, looks fresh.

z3ta is old and it would run on a fairly slow computer. it takes .scl files, which are from Scala (which is free and you can download 1000s of tuning files from their website) or make your own with it.
Its good fun.

woops

is not like other people
Ok I've been away and had a think about this,
Thanks everyone for videos and mixes, don't tell anyone but that's what i was really looking for when I started the thread.

I still don't really see the distinctions mms is talking about. As i see it house and techno are defined by their 4/4 kicks. (when i say 4/4 by the way I mean the 4/4 kicks, of course 99.99% of 'dance' / club music / continuum stuff is in 4/4 time). If it doesn't have the 4/4 kick it's not techno, it's electro - right?

Similarly if it's not got 4/4 kicks it can't be funky house, it must be dancehall or god knows what.
Certainly I've never heard anything I'd consider 'house' that didn't use a 4/4 kick.
Are these terms really so flexible? Have I got this completely twisted. I've read Energy Flash you know!

agree, 4/4 is boring and i only like it when i'm in the mood for some boring music.

Funny

zhao

there are no accidents
i fucking despise 99.99% of all house and techno and electro coming from America and Europe (and 85% of South Africa).

STUPID MUSIC FOR MINDLESS SHEEPLE.

you know what the non dance music person says - "all sound same"? well they're fucking right. and always have been.

regurgitated, swallowed again, digested and shat out so many times it has negative nutrition value, and sucks life energy from you when you listen.

the barrage of this lifeless gray slush coming through the pipes each and every day makes me nauseus just thinking about it.

a bunch of fucking retarded slaves. the tools that make and listen to this putrid fucking garbage.

Last edited:

IanTheM

Tame Horse
i fucking despise 99.99% of all house and techno and electro coming from America and Europe (and 85% of South Africa).

you know what the non dance music person says - "all sound same"? well they're fucking right. and always have been.

regurgitated, swallowed again, digested and shat out so many times it has negative nutrition value, and sucks life energy from you when you listen.

the barrage of this lifeless gray slush coming through the pipes each and every day makes me nauseus just thinking about it.

a bunch of fucking retarded slaves. the tools that make and listen to this putrid fucking garbage.

Hey! It sounds like you're describing all music ever!

zhao

there are no accidents
Hey! It sounds like you're describing all music ever!

no.

historically many many styles have been exempt from the 5% (or 0.001%) rule of mostly being rubbish: Indonesian Court Gamelan, Hindustani Classical, Congolese Rumba, etc, etc, etc.; and have all had very high qualitative standards. whatever the reason may be, whether state sanctioned hierarchies of the music establishment or simple honesty and rigor in the creative communities, you would be hard pressed to find much of any poorly put together shit which is a waste of time for everyone involved. (they may have their own problems, for instance the Indian Classical mafia which basically prohibits anyone not in their gang to perform or record - but if we are just talking quality, the vast majority of recordings and artists are top fucking notch.)

and even in today's world, different scenes have drastically different quality to shit ratios.

so no, i certainly was not describing "all music ever made".

bob effect

somnambulist

facepalm_picard_riker.jpg