school me on deep house

fizzed

what do i need?
what are the classic labels?
which record is acknowledged as the first deep house ever?

Last edited:

four_five_one

Infinition
Check the NY garage thread below, much of it is crossover deep house. Obvious names to check out are Mr Fingers (Larry Heard), Kerry Chandler, Chez Damier, Basic Channel (Main Street) made two of the best deep house tracks ever in Round One & Two, Ron Trent, Moodymann (Kenny Dixon jr), Derek Carter, Glenn Underground --

The prominent newish producers are probably Omar-S, Henrik Schwarz, Mike Huckaby - though most of his recent stuff is probably 'dub techno'. FHXE for Omar-S Detroit, Jus-Ed's Underground Quality, Third Ear for Detroit Beatdown... Mojuba is another good label to check, much of it minimal/dubby. Though there seems to be a lot of 'deep house' coming from the mnml scene atm, not much of which sounds very deep at all to me... Deepness being such a subjective thing after all.

Many people think being nondescript and inoffensive is the key to being deep, but I disagree. Anyway, I think the deep house was originally used to describe the more soulful, songful, spiritual Chicago house opposed to the faceless, technoid jack & acid trax- the personal vs the anonymous - but i suppose they were all played together at that time, I'm not sure when deep house became a scene of its own...

"Deep House" is one of those things like "electro" or "garage" that means completely different things depending on the age of the person you are asking.

Personally I would say you need Joe Smooth "Promised Land", Ten City "That's The Way Love Is", Sterling Void "It's Alright", Blaze "Can't Win For Losing", Fingers Inc "Another Side LP.

But the I am an old (school) person.

shaolinsoul

three of my favorite deep house tunes.

Classic Man "Mellow" (From the deep mix) - Nervous records.

Kerri Chandler -Atmosphere ( LOST DUBS) - ibadan

Ron Trent & Chez Damier - Don`t try - Prescription

Client Eastwood

"Deep House" is one of those things like "electro" or "garage" that means completely different things depending on the age of the person you are asking.

Personally I would say you need Joe Smooth "Promised Land", Ten City "That's The Way Love Is", Sterling Void "It's Alright", Blaze "Can't Win For Losing", Fingers Inc "Another Side LP.

But the I am an old (school) person.

Like wise. Deep house was to me was something like this from 1987.

And since then its meant many different things/styles

Cor yeah that Arnold Jarvis tune is wicked.

Is the distinction between house and garage of that era simply that house is from Chicago and Garage is from New York?

Client Eastwood

Cor yeah that Arnold Jarvis tune is wicked.

Is the distinction between house and garage of that era simply that house is from Chicago and Garage is from New York?

could be as simple as club names eg paradise garage tunes (nyc) v the warehouse tunes(chicago)

garage eg shalor
house egs above.

apols, got a knackered hand other wise would post better post

http://www.livingart.com/raving/articles/housemusic101.htm may contain more info

massrock

Must give a mention to Global Communications' 'The Way (Secret Ingredients Mix)' really. Although it's much later it did come to epitomise a certain kind of lush deep house. Of course it's a bit of a tribute / pastiche from scene outsiders but that just illustrates that questions of authenticity in house music are silly.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I always dug this track back in the days, it just has a great minimalist deep-clipped sound and good chick vocals, and it's gay (as opposed to 'indie') as shit which is a good prerequisite for any dance music.

All house music should have such a luxuriously modern warm sound like this

This ole' house:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The DANGEROUS thing is that some of this stuff veers towards ACID JAZZ, which was the most disgusting fucking toilet shit ever shat out onto the sonic landscape, worse than Shkin' Steven even!

Last edited:

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
Davina - Don't You Want It (Extended)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tikkle - Outer Limits (The Cosmic Mix)

Shout out to Chris Orr

Last edited:

Ach!

Turd on the Run
There was a Muzik magazine CD that was the definition of mid-90s deep house. I have it somewhere, and I will rip for you, cos it was well good like.

I am really feeling the current deep house movement happening in Detroit and surroundings, Jenifa Mayanja, Reggie Dokes, Jus Ed, etc. specially Mayanja's releases on Bu-Mako, totally brilliant...

four_five_one

Infinition
I am really feeling the current deep house movement happening in Detroit and surroundings, Jenifa Mayanja, Reggie Dokes, Jus Ed, etc. specially Mayanja's releases on Bu-Mako, totally brilliant...

Levon Vincent has put out some great releases of late too (he used to collab with Jus Ed). Definitely part of the Basic Channel continuum, but with a decidedly deep house flavour, much like Luke Hess and Mike Huckaby's recent stuff.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
There was a Muzik magazine CD that was the definition of mid-90s deep house. I have it somewhere, and I will rip for you, cos it was well good like.

Seached in dusty boxes for it, then found somebody had ripped it already. I think I was completely wrong in my description as the compilation is much later than I thought, and rather than being the definition of anything it's just good. In fact I'm not sure that much of it is even deep house, there's a fair amount of disco influenced stuff too... I may have been thinking of something completely different... what the heck, the link's below:

http://whatilike-jp.blogspot.com/2008/09/muzik-magazine-presents-axus-guidance.html

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
this is good coming from a lad from detroit.
more on the moody / theo side of things the detroit ' beatdown ' side

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2718&Itemid=28

also that moodymann record - det.riot which came out last year is one of the best records i've heard in the last 6 months, what prince would be doing if he hadn't turned out to be so disappointing.

when did people start saying deep house, i always liked house and have been listening since 89' ( not going to clubs cos i wasn't old enough) but i only started hearing the word deep house being used about 93', was it a reaction to the more mersh house?

Client Eastwood

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2718&Itemid=28

also that moodymann record - det.riot which came out last year is one of the best records i've heard in the last 6 months, what prince would be doing if he hadn't turned out to be so disappointing.

when did people start saying deep house, i always liked house and have been listening since 89' ( not going to clubs cos i wasn't old enough) but i only started hearing the word deep house being used about 93', was it a reaction to the more mersh house?

I guess so even then there was so many genres. Piano, Euro, Progressive etc. I was looking at tape the other day I had labelled deep house and it was mostly Chicago/Detroit/and some 808 State so Im guessing even pre-93. About 89-90 maybe. . .

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape

co-sign this, love that record. & political house music! I'm sure plenty of people complain/think that stuff's stupid but coming from anarchopunk I'm a sucker for dance music producers managing to insert a bit of overt politics in there.

DJ Sprinkles' (aka Terre Thaemlitz) 120 Midtown Blues - my record of the year so far (another great political house record!) - is all about this. (s)he cites it as coming out of a very specific (largely gay & transgendered) underground NYC scene & its very specific struggles, definitely an answer/backlash to all that C&C Music Factory/"What Is Love"/"Vogue" (there's a great track specifically ripping up Madonna) etc. pop house. or an answer to co-optation of a largely gay music (Thaemlitz focuses on the NYC scene but you could probably safely include Chicago as well). in fact one of Thaemlitz' biggest problems w/the recent deep house "revival" in European mainstream underground house is that it's once again been decontextualized - tho by the likes of Sascha Dive & Tiefschwarz & whoever else rather than Madonna.

padro1982

yeah, kyle hall is definitely one to watch, really talented lad, omar s did a promo mix for fabric before his cd came out and it was made up almost entirely of unreleased kyle hall tracks, including a lot more downtempo funk stuff, well worth checking...

http://www.beatfactor.ro/muzica/Fabric_Promo_Mix_2009/Omar_S-tid-472372-aid-25044-l-1