Dissensus Raw Productions

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's funny, I was going to say "How do you get that weird effect where they all sound like they're recorded underwater?" - then I listened to them again but on a PC and realized it's just the shitty audio codec on my cheap Sony phone, lol.

Well I stand by what I said to you a few years ago about being reminded of the 'Akira' soundtrack, really, in that I'm still getting a vibe that reminds me, distantly, of Geinoh Yamoshirogumi (I think I deserve a prize for typing that from memory), which is no bad thing. Kind of soundtrack-y, although maybe I'm just thinking that because of the videos that go with most of them. They're very atmospheric and have a cool palette of sounds. I can't say they make me want to dance but I guess that's not really the kind of music you're going for anyway?

What's your setup, out of interest?

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
It's funny, I was going to say "How do you get that weird effect where they all sound like they're recorded underwater?" - then I listened to the again but on a PC and realized it's just the shitty audio codec on my cheap Sony phone, lol.

Well I stand by what I said to you a few years ago about reminded of the 'Akira' soundtrack, really, in that I'm still getting a vibe that reminds me, distantly, of Geinoh Yamoshirogumi (I think I deserve a prize for typing that from memory), which is no bad thing. Kind of soundtrack-y, although maybe I'm just thinking that because of the videos that go with most of them. They're very atmospheric and have a cool palette of sounds. I can't say they make me want to dance but I guess that's not really the kind of music you're going for anyway?

What's your setup, out of interest?

i see what you mean yes. i would like to make my music a bit more suitable for the dancefloor but i don't seem to have the patience for it and i find it far more fun to create sounds. it is something that i'm trying to tho because i would like a bit more people to hear my music and i feel the only way to do so is to make it more straightforward. thank you for your short feedback, i take it as a compliment! just last night i was trying to make something new and realized later it would fit perfectly to a dark gaspar noë type of movie. despair, fear and paranoia. i only use ableton along with a few external plugins and i actually don't know that much about mixing down so it actually could be that everything sounds a bit like it's recorded underwater.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah I used Ableton too. I feel like I shouldn't be relying so heavily on the drum and synth programs you get with it, though. The heavy dread-y synths at the start of your first KAMEEL ED tune are really cool - are they from a plug-in too?

My only real instrument is a bass guitar, if you don't count the solder-it-yourself toy micro-moog I bought last year.

other_life

bioconfused
@yyaldrin i like the aesthetic of yr channel generally. bit of a b0dyg0d/pollyjacobsen/sunsetcorp thing going (peripherally). that general era of 'chillwave-continuum visuals youtube'

luka

@yyaldrin i like the aesthetic of yr channel generally. bit of a b0dyg0d/pollyjacobsen/sunsetcorp thing going (peripherally). that general era of 'chillwave-continuum visuals youtube'

Yes. You worked it out by yourself. This is the best way to proceed. Give other people attention and make them feel seen and understood and in theory they will feel obliged to reciprocate.

other_life

bioconfused
yo this footage is sampled from the red spectacles, yeah? or something different i'm not familiar with?
commenting on the actual music i like these tunes fine, instrumental grime/dubstep but like... i like the synth sounds way better than the drums? the drums feel loose, stumbling, clunky. slow attack on the individual hits, sound like they come from all different sample packs. maybe not treated enough w effects and too 'out of the box' sounding?
if that's an intentional aesthetic choice (i can see that and the appeal of it) then ignore me 🤷 but
listen to how much is filtered out and boosted up w eq on these drum hits, and it's a pretty limited set of individual hits as well? really works for this track imo

other_life

bioconfused
this one GOES though. really tight, concentrated burst, the drums on *this* one have that kinda quality i'm getting at

other_life

bioconfused
bomb blow up everybody gay.

mr tea: everything on yr soundcloud is SO GOD DAMN LOUD
barty: very very partial to this sort of balance of breaks and more traditionally 'techno' textures/tropes. rather than getting into the Quantised Punter-Step No U Turn zone it's like the swing/funk of the breaks is anchored by the machine kicks. the interplay of synth rhythms on 350 is sssnakeyyy. curious what yr favorite records are that do this sort of thing? out of all the records i linked i think u'd find something to enjoy in 'return to luxury'
yyaldrin: gonna listen to more of yr back catalogue today bc like i said the general aesthetic of yr project is very interesting, very resonant

we should try to do what hipinion does/did and slowly work out a microgenre together off of some kind of Proposition, starting with imagery moving on to mixes of hypothetical 'these tracks within a whole array of genres are also This Idea/This Feeling' and *then* original productions

other_life

bioconfused
but perhaps in the 2020's there's no energy for that kind of bullshit anymore, 'outsiders' have seen it done and recognise it now?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
bomb blow up everybody gay.

mr tea: everything on yr soundcloud is SO GOD DAMN LOUD

Ha, you got me there. My take is that I'd rather have something that you need to turn down a little to listen to comfortably, than something that sounds weedy so you have to crank up your volume all the way. Cheers for listening though!

Edit: your stuff sounds like it'd be perfect for drifting off to when you've got back from the club, still residually high, close the curtains as the sun's coming up, cup of tea/spliff/xanax, you know the drill...

I like the Mixtec jade mask you've used on your Bandcamp page too.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
just up:

<iframe width="100%" height="300" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

other_life

bioconfused
i've been struggling w trying to make my mixes less weedy, that's such a good word for it. interesting perspective
and also wanting to move away from the feeling yr describing into more IMMEDIATE RAW ZONES in the coming decade. bc electronic music now is *so god damn saturated* by that kind of, post 'artificial intelligence' thing. what i'm doing doesn't really have any competitive edge in that sense?

other_life

bioconfused
knowing now what this thread was specifically aiming at (BOTHERING TO LOOK AT THE FIRST POST) i can appreciate what yr going for better ( : the rhythm of what u just posted has kind of an andy stott thing going for it. and yeah it's still techno at 100 bpm