chomsky vs buckley

D

droid

I don't know why people don't prevail against Chomsky more often and more effectively, as he always strikes me as being rather easy to take down. So many of his statements in public debate are so utterely and flagrantly decontextualised and distorted that thay are worthless.

LOL. Thanks for the laugh Oliver. I look forward to seeing your effortless demolition job.

In these debates, both Perle and Buckley offer little more than sneering affectations (and in Buckleys case - mild threats) in the face of Chomsky's relentless evidence based arguments.

'Decontextualised'? Sure, but theres only so much you can fit into this format. A criticism I would also agree with when it comes to many of his short articles and interviews. If you want to see the context you have to read his books and examine the reams of source material he draws his conclusions from.

Luka said:
Chomsky is crushingly dull and his books are unreadable. However I suspect he is one of the Great Men of Our Time, such as they are. Perle probably isn't.

I guess Perle could be one of the great men of our time, but unfortunately he doesnt fulfill the basic qualifications of humanity...

Since Chomsky became 'trendy', i think people have the expectation that his work will be somehow entertaining. Its not, and neither is it meant to be. Its dry academic political analyisis which requires work to get through.

swears

preppy-kei
This is better anyway...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Until I saw that video, I could never decide if I thought Foucault was probably a dom or a sub.

Now it's all very clear.

swears

preppy-kei
I really want to believe that Chomsky in that clip is right about human nature being inherently creative and good, but shackled and distorted by the machinations of power. But I think I end up siding with Foucault's caution and pessimism. Who knows what an entirely new society would be like?

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Ha didn't you love how Foucault gets all concern trolly when he starts to talk "I don't know if I can go as far as Mr. Chomsky"... The look in his eyes, he obviously thinks Chomsky is an idiot.

I wish they'd put the whole thing up.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Chomsky vs Alex Jones ftw

Goes on a bit, but it basically ends with Jones calling Chomsky an imbecile and a NWO shill for supporting gun control.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Oliver's jewel-like prose clearly marks him out as Rushdie. (although he drinks like Hitch.*)

*pot - kettle.

crackerjack

I've seen him on this program before - is he some sort of spokesman now? Can't he just get back to doing Universal Magnetic?

Hopefully he's realised the limits of bravado since then.

Is this Bill Mayer's show? When/where's it on in the UK?

Hear he's just done one on religion, which was great, say they.

D

droid

Yeah Religulous. Entertaining, but pretty weak really.

That obsequious slug Hitchens actually manages to make Mos def look good there...

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
In America, everybody listens to 19th Century Fox TV News. In which a bunch of loons just scream and scream and scream. And with each scream they tell another lie. How are we ever going to have an informed citizenry? Which means then how can we have an informed election?" - Gore Vidal

D

droid

Here's another good one; Chomsky vs. Silber:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>