wise

bare BARE BONES
the suggestion that "all that stuff" makes you turn off the show is baffling.

I never said " all that stuff" I said the tunes sound "a lot like this one", probably an exaggeration but i'm sure you get my drift. There are recurring sounds, styles and beats in a fair amount of the tunes you play that I don't like. The post-dubstep house sound I guess.
Looking throught your tracklists there's usually only one track at most i'd want to hear in the first segment of each show.
I have so much music to listen to that I can't generally be bothered to fast forward through a show/mix in case it gets more interesting later on.

I do remember listening to this one

Darkstar "Two Chords" [forthcoming Hyperdub]

Hackman "Untitled" [unreleased]
El-B ft Natasha "I Feel (Maddslinky's 4x4 remix)" [unreleased]
Velour "She Wore Velour" [Night Slugs]
Bias & Gurley "Roll (Blackdown remix)" [unreleased Keysound]
Damu "Crystal Gae" [unreleased]
Doc Daneeka "Cops" [Ramp]
Brackles and Shortstuff "Good Foundations (Martin Kemp remix)" [forthcoming Ramp]
MJ Cole ft Wiley "From the Drop (LViz 1990 remix)" [unreleased Prolific]
Raffertie "Rank Functions (Ital Tek remix)" [forthcoming Planet Mu]
The Fives ft Hayley Miller "It's What You Do (Hottest By Far)" [unreleased]

Ghostek "Barricades" [unreleased]
Sully "It's Your Love" [unreleased]
Nehuen "Time after Time" [unreleased]
Mickey Pearce "What's Mickey Talking About?" [unreleased]
Nehuen "80s" [unreleased]

The Fives track is great, the rest not so much,

Sully who i've rated since his first release sounds like another weak Juke/Electro clone here. Such a shame, his 2-step was amazingly good.
This is my other gripe at the moment, the current vogue that's spread from Addison Groove's Juke influence and Instramental's electro thing so now you've got all these tracks that sound like Radioactive Man from the early noughties.
Bok Bok's recent FACT mix is a case in point, whilst I enjoyed it it just sounded so retro.
Well made clones of great music but clones all the same.
Maybe i'm just a bit too old now. I'm sure it's great fun if you haven't heard it all the first (or second or third time round).
I'm listening to Blawan's FACT mix at the moment and that's giving me the same feeling, his recent EP does seem pretty good though.

I haven't heard Damu so I can't comment on that, got any links?

i realised it's hard to hold an expanding current genre up to the rates of incredible discovery if you're going back through years if not decades of musical output.

You're quite right of course but this is only part of the problem

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is my other gripe at the moment, the current vogue that's spread from Addison Groove's Juke influence and Instramental's electro thing so now you've got all these tracks that sound like Radioactive Man from the early noughties.

Yeah, as much as I like some of these 808 swamp 81 tunes I wouldn't say they're particularly exciting or interesting, they're almost like trad-dance tunes in fact! I'm not sure how important it is to be groundbreaking nowadays, though - its certainly becoming increasingly difficult to see how any new producers CAN be groundbreaking, what with a good 20 years + of dance music behind them. '

But perhaps this has always been how people have seen things before big innovations have come along? After all, hip-hop seems to be throwing up new sounds (though generally not radically new, admittedly) to this day and it's been around since the late 70s.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I do remember listening to this one

Wise I kind of agree with the general drift of what you're saying, but just a minor one - from the tracklist you posted, surely you've got to like Velour - She Wore Velour? Easily one of the best tune on Night Slugs so far imo.
Like Paulo I'm actually really enjoying the electro-influenced stuff coming through on Swamp 81 etc, although I can see how it comes pretty close to being straight retro (don't think it's quite at that stage yet though). I can accept that not being quite as familiar with earlier waves of this stuff than some leaves me with more patience for it and makes it feel fresher.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I do feel ambiguous towards this obsession dance music nerds have with pushing things forward/progression/hybridisation etc. On the one hand, as a dance music nerd I am myself obsessed with it, and I can see that you need progression within music in order to avoid stagnation. But sometimes I think having this stuff in the back of your head as a concern really can prejudice you against tunes that you otherwise might like... of course it can work the other way.

Music taste in general is a baffling thing to me - i.e. when I first got into DNB I was into tunes by producers like Clipz, Pendulum, Hazard et al. Then I got into jungle and 'deep' DNB etc. and those tunes suddenly became offensive to me. The same thing has happened subsequently with a lot of the 'deep' DNB that I was into - it now sounds boring and bland to me. Do I consider myself wiser now, or as having better taste? Was I prejudiced then, or am I prejudiced now? Or both?

Mind you, I think the REALLY great stuff transcends most of my prejudices and endures through all the fluctuations of my taste - i.e. classic hip-hop, jungle, garage, house etc.

wise

bare BARE BONES
Wise I kind of agree with the general drift of what you're saying, but just a minor one - from the tracklist you posted, surely you've got to like Velour - She Wore Velour? Easily one of the best tune on Night Slugs so far imo.

It was a generalisation, I don't remember that tune and i'm not aware of having heard it elsewhere, i'll check it out.

Last edited:

alex

Do not read this.
I love the way the sounds made by the above mentioned divide opinion (if this hasn’t already been mentioned) as I think ‘she wore velour’ isn’t that good. IRL on the other hand is fucking incredible. Someone on here gave it a complete knee-jerk review, claiming it to be nothing but watered down juke. Considering Juke is now footwork, there was no thought behind that critique whatsoever.

edit** this is also interesting in uncovering a listeners/your favourite sonic textures, as that one tune you find with a specific formula of influences from a genre/specific track that turns you crazy will inevitably be the one you end up listening to/finding similar stuff for the next 3 weeks (true for me anyway, sort of helps me realise what I would of been into had I been alive/old enough around the time of the house explosion)

Agree with Corpsey with regards to being ‘groundbreaking’, more to the point, I don’t look for ‘groundbreaking’ sounds (erm, who the fuck does?) in my music. I just look for stuff that resonates with me at the time. Also Ben is right when he says it draws attention to ‘traditional’ house music in a sense, I wouldn’t of bought half of the swung techno and ghetto house stuff, had it not been for Juke and other UK House releases utilizing those influences. Don’t know if this was what you was getting at Ben, but that’s my interpretation of it. This is music for the youth. Naivety on the producers part and tolerance on the listeners part is allowing it to be what it is at the moment, personally I find the developments very interesting to hear.

Do LOATHE the written reviews of this stuff though, cliche ridden bollox, nearly every one, so frustrating.

Last edited:

muser

how anyone would decipher this music (or any music from now really) in 50 or 100 years time boggles the mind. The development, and overall growth in amount, of music is exponential as it follows technology, I think referencing from the past and "retro"ness, is only going to get more common, and is inevitable really

tom lea

i'm biased, but i don't see what's not to like about damu? he does heavy, banging shit with samples ripped wholesale from chart tunes as well as he does the more star-eyed synth stuff. plenty of rude energy for the dissensus mandem.

wise

bare BARE BONES
i'm biased, but i don't see what's not to like about damu? he does heavy, banging shit with samples ripped wholesale from chart tunes as well as he does the more star-eyed synth stuff. plenty of rude energy for the dissensus mandem.

Linkage?

Edit -
Ok I had a listen to all the tunes on the first page of ihs Soundcloud, I didn't hear any heavy banging shit or rude energy so presumably it's all under Local Action censorship ;) lots of swirly synth washes though.
The tunes are better than that Original Face one but still ticked all the boxes for the stuff I was referring to in my intial response to Blackdown.
When I googled the track title you mentioned Tom I found a link to a mix that had been taken down with a write up describing him as a Funky producer?
Just listening to Damu - Juooaahhke, it's very reminiscent of Luke Viberts take on Jungle under his Plug alias (but with Juke as the inspiration obviously)

Last edited:

Leo

can't say i honestly like all 120 minutes of anyone's radio show, but that being said, i still listen to and enjoy dusk & blackdown sets. also, seems a little odd to trash an entire show while at the same time admitting that you listen to only 10 minutes of it.;)

wise

bare BARE BONES
MIzz Beats is using some similar synths on her new Eglo release, but she's got the funk and can program drums so it sounds good :D

wise

bare BARE BONES
That Tanka tune works but all of those you've posted are reminiscent of the late nineties early noughties progressive breaks stuff to me.
I know i've probably said all this before.
So i'll end positively, how good is this Blawan EP?
Properly funky acid! :cool:

Phaedo

New Blawan EP is really good. So much raw energy in the beats, subtlety has its place but nice to hear some good aggy (yet groovy) rhythms.