CrowleyHead

I don't even know if the Castro tune is Road Rap; most of his fans are still in grime and he's more or less... For whatever reason, I always think of him as a backpacker because of how punchline obsessed and how he can't make 'bangers'. He just doesn't think like the majority of road rap.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't even know if the Castro tune is Road Rap; most of his fans are still in grime and he's more or less... For whatever reason, I always think of him as a backpacker because of how punchline obsessed and how he can't make 'bangers'. He just doesn't think like the majority of road rap.

Could be right.

The fact he wears a mask makes me (perhaps erroneously) assume he's an MF Doom style nerd.

But then one of my mates informed me that a lot of roadmen now wear masks in rap videos to evade capture by the feds, or at least to portray the image of someone who would want to evade capture by the feds.

luka

great youtibe comment rumours about him wearing a mask so as not to jepordise his job as a teachers assistant lol

CrowleyHead

great youtibe comment rumours about him wearing a mask so as not to jepordise his job as a teachers assistant lol

Yeah he's said as much in interviews! No doubt he plays up the mask gimmick a bit because he likes SPOOKY THEMES TOO.

Coincidentally on the subject of masked Road Rappers, Reekz MB dropped a tape and its good, and of course he has the masked kid from #67 LD on it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jn08yherdEw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DVP7epV40AI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rubberdingyrapids

giggs album is pretty o-k.
its a funny combination - you have these big, slick bangers, and then you have giggs on top (and it is on top, cos he doesnt really sound part of the tracks, mixtape style), who sounds pretty casual and underproduced.
if he was in america, youd know his vocals would be like jeezy, or tupac.
it does give it a certain cheap british rap charm, but i think he could benefit from someone stepping in to enhance the sound a bit.

rubberdingyrapids

YEAH IT FEELS SHIT TO BE LONELY
BUT I AINT GONNA SIT HERE
LIKE A BITCH
GETTING BITCHY AND MOANY

dissensus doesnt quote rap lyrics enough

NOW IVE CLOCKED THAT TING
GONNA COST HER
LETS GO GET A DRINK
VISIT COSTA

one good thing about giggs is that he sounds like hes enjoying himself

savage is prob the best thing on here.

Last edited:

Glacial 718

&#127817; &#127817; &#127817;
the bike mask thing is just a UK drill meme which got popular cos of music videos. reekz / all road rappers other than LD aren't really "masked rappers" as such (at least, not in the MF Doom/CAS/LD sense of having an elaborate identity constructed around being masked, or even appearing consistently masked)

<iframe width="100%" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

luka

Yep, The kids have been masking up or wrapping scarves around their faces for years and years. No face no case. It's not just for the videos.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is that why you see kids cycling around London with their faces masked up? I didn't know if they were criminals or just didn't want to breathe in exhaust fumes.

It's confusing for me, as a middle class man, who only wears masks when attending orgies at National Trust properties.

CrowleyHead

What do you dislike about it tho? Not to bait you to simply complain, but its interesting to know what you'd find are its flaws in contrast to.... whatever works for you elsewhere.

luka

Mostly just dismayed at how dead the forum is and thought I'd try and say something controversial.

luka

But also it's a tired format, here and in the US. That sound is played out. Dry. Dead.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Forum is proper dead these days, very sad. I feel like one of the barbarians who sacked Rome.

Agree that the Lugerish trap sound is very stale by now although I do still like the odd Giggs tune I hear. I still hope to see more of that grime/rap/afrobeats/dancehall stuff blowing up I reckon that could be a great, very London sound... But what do I know?

forclosure

i think my greatest hurdle with all of this stuff was that i always found alot of MCs flows to be really stiff and that the beats were too slow,ive started warming up to it now and kinda like some of the afrobeats/bashment sounding stuff but theres only glimpses of that

in my last years of secondary school nearly EVERYBODY i knew outside of the metalheads in my year were banging Giggs

i do agree with Luka that in the grand scheme of things the sound is really played out

then again i live in North so, i feel im always gonna have some kind of weird for how people talk up all things South London

luka

The high point of the whole genre is still a giggs freestyle over a minor Dr Dre beat and south London is still as tedious as it ever was.

The south seems doomed to be forever slavishly imitating established forms. Never making anything new. Never recombinating, synthesising, always wearing another man's clothes. It's a backwater.

luka

Muffled, softened voices with none of East London's angularity. Think about the combination of grime rhythms and East London voices. The strangeness of it. Rhythms like a climbing frame, and voices finding all sorts of ways to clamber over, in and around them. Then contrast that to the mumbling of road rap. A flat plane. A Man plodding through a swamp. In a balaclava.