Top 10 Hip-Hop LPs of the 2010s

CrowleyHead

Forgot about 'Sunday School'!

Would have included Burrprint 3D but I believe it was released 2009? As were all Gucci's classic tapes (same goes for Max B).

Will seek out some of those others.

I'll bleed it over as I feel like that's the peak of Gucci and it needs to be counted over his more questionable 10s material.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Have you heard I'm A Piece of Shit? What did you think?

Yeah, only tracks I really like are Big Emblem Benz and Hurt Like This, don't like the music on the rest of it enough to give it time, unfortunately.

Just checked out that Viper you posted, it's wonderful.

rubberdingyrapids

who has time to listen to all these, never mind the patience for an actual whole wiz khalifa album? whenever i see these 'NINE ALBUMS OUT TODAY THAT YOU NEED TO HEAR' sort of things on p4k, im like, who has the time?! id stick with singles if i were mr bot.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I have had to listen to a whole Wiz Kalifah tape in order to review it, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

You do get some great mixtapes/albums but I definitely think that these days singles are a more 'relevant' index of rap music than albums are. Mind you, it's hard enough picking 10 mixtapes/albums, let alone 10 singles!

Woebot

who has time to listen to all these, never mind the patience for an actual whole wiz khalifa album? whenever i see these 'NINE ALBUMS OUT TODAY THAT YOU NEED TO HEAR' sort of things on p4k, im like, who has the time?! id stick with singles if i were mr bot.

point taken. enjoying this though. have picked up cds by danny brown, future, asap money, vince staples, rich gang, kendrick lamarr, yg, rick ross and earl sweatshirt.

a few years back i compiled these from that nozinsky blokes singles lists and was really underwhelmed by the whole singles thing - maybe he just has weak taste?

rubberdingyrapids

noz' has good taste, or seems to, but yeah i find his lists a bit underwhelming too. i think he picks a lot of album tracks rather than singles on those end of year round ups he does?

mistersloane

You might also like Hiram Clarke Hustler and You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack.

Great, thanks for the tips man, his catalogue was so immense that I didn't bother and what I came across I wasn't into, but I really like the Yo Side Thang one. Will look those others out, thanks.

Apropos of nothing, this beat, on a loop, forever :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8aNrdB8l3kU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CrowleyHead

Noz's lists usually aren't based around singles all the time, just what he's looking for specifically in rap from certain people. So For example, I know one year he had "Gucci Gucci" by Kreayshawn on it the same year he had DJ Quik "Ghetto Rendezvous" and E-40 "My Little Grimey N***A" which aren't great singles by any means, but kind of good showcases for the rapper at what he considers their best (in Quik's case, incredibly petty battle raps aimed at members of his family or former friends and in E-40's case, weird ultraspecific detailed 'panoramic' storytelling, though without a clear beginning/end structure like say a "Children's Story".)

I've done lists kind of like that too, and its weird to rate one thing over another, but like when I think about it I'm rating "is this beat interesting, is there something going on lyrically, is there a unique quality to the song I don't find very common" So like, Rich Homie Quan making a song about dealing with his father being shot is def. that characteristic, but Famous Dex rapping about being the man isn't. Doesn't mean that the former's the better single either!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RwlfUS6kLkk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XerzPwVGND0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit: also if I'm out here alluding to lists, I should link them.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

Great, thanks for the tips man, his catalogue was so immense that I didn't bother and what I came across I wasn't into, but I really like the Yo Side Thang one. Will look those others out, thanks.

I think he's considered a bit of the joke on the internet, something which he's embraced. He does stunts like releasing hundreds of albums a year of poor music, obscuring his genuinely creative and interesting efforts.

Woebot

Noz's lists usually aren't based around singles all the time, just what he's looking for specifically in rap from certain people.

hm. well when it comes to year-end things i guess i'd rather people went by the K.I.S.S. maxim.

in fact - not keeping it simple seems like a standard route for journalism in hip hop. journalists flatter themselves that they're *krazy wordsmiths* like the rappers.

i suppose that bloke dave tompkins is the classic case in point.i can't understand a word he's on about. surely in music journalism - clarity, honesty and good taste is what you want?

mistersloane

t bloke dave tompkins is the classic case in point.i can't understand a word he's on about. surely in music journalism - clarity, honesty and good taste is what you want?

At the moment, in music journalism, I'd want people with knowledge of the software, knowledge of the equipment. I want people who can identify what is being used, and why, and talk about it.

CrowleyHead

surely in music journalism - clarity, honesty and good taste is what you want?

You say that, but I literally have had a friend sending me choice quotes from Energy Flash where Simon is being obtuse with imagery or referendum. Almost every music journalist is a failed/nascent writer of *other subjects* living their future through this current medium. I bring up Simon b/c him and Tompkins are both obviously huge teen Science Fiction nerds and they reflect that approach in their descriptors, Tompkins just tends to be much more bewildering.

But I think the balance between taste and singles is not always easy to strike. A good rapper is making a ton of great songs on projects, be they tapes or albums, but depending on where their career is the fans might dictate a poor single, or management, or maybe they're terrible at singles. Noz is a huge fan of Starlito, who has made great densely interpersonal projects, but whenever he tries to go for a "BIG RAP SINGLE" almost always strikes out. By that right, do you discount the artist's year if they made a bunch of shit singles but they still were really productive?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Apropos of no thing: Starlito was a fan of my review of his album, albeit justifiably annoyed by me implying that he hoovers any drugs he can get hold of up his nose. Still, proudest moment of my undistinguished career in freelance journalism. :)

rubberdingyrapids

At the moment, in music journalism, I'd want people with knowledge of the software, knowledge of the equipment. I want people who can identify what is being used, and why, and talk about it.

*insert danny glover gif*

i realised recently how behind i am with knowledge of modern music software.
does anyone still use fruity? logic? what do people use now? if i wanted to make beats like hud mo (and get on kanyes albums), WTF would i be using?

mistersloane

*insert danny glover gif*

i realised recently how behind i am with knowledge of modern music software.
does anyone still use fruity? logic? what do people use now? if i wanted to make beats like hud mo (and get on kanyes albums), WTF would i be using?

Frooty still used alot I think, for trap beats. Ableton & Logic still, and like Corpsey said.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think actual synths are still the ideal. Not even cos they supposedly sound better, but because they're more fun to play with. Who wants to move shit around on a screen when you can excitedly jab at a keyboard?