luka

youre a big girl now. third time in a row.
nothing much to say. whys it do it?
'time is jet plane, it moves too fast'
banal but deeply moving at once

luka

the quaestion always is why can someone so laughably transparently fake skewer my beating heart

sadmanbarty

0.07- That pedal's nice. it alludes to a poignancy that the chord progression doesn't actually fulfil.

0.20- maybe it's reminding me of the chord progression from ollie mcfarlane's 'concrete'

0.31- I like how the bass waits there, I was expecting it to do more. i guess that's similar to what i was saying about the chord progression; maybe the whole aesthetic of the song is it's unfulfilled potential. It's coy.

0.37- the snares are really low in the mix, I love it. just a gentle patter; it's almost textural rather than rhythmic. rain on a window. i'd have to check but I think uk drill's unique in terms of the quietness of the drums and having long sections without drums; the legacy of wiley's devil mixes.

1.09- sounds like a tambourine echoing, it's more prominent than the snares. it's a very nice touch.

1.14- rapping's good

1.45- i love those glide jumps on the bass, it's like bassline.

2.22- the fade out makes me feel alone in a lonely way. i'm going to miss the song.

2.27- should've ended with the piano. but on the whole the song's brilliant.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
youre a big girl now. third time in a row.
nothing much to say. whys it do it?
'time is jet plane, it moves too fast'
banal but deeply moving at once

This is one of my favourite Dylan songs to sing along to in my parody Dylan voice. Cos he does that 'OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH!' bit like livestock being herded onto the killing floor.

CrowleyHead

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_J8GGFIKA3o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Tic Tic Tic" by Todd Rundgren; The squelchy psychedelic sound effects building alongside the song and giving it a cartoonish, ice-cream parlor feel but also an additional character. I hate psychedelic culture. Not the effects, just that the imagination always force slots psychedelicism into certain similar effects and impacts and associations. Its why I've never been a huge fan of doing them, because I continuously feel like any chance I've had to gain any epiphanies from it has been ruined by expectations I manifest from outer influences. Sleep deprivation exercises have given me better satisfactions in sensory experience and just personal insight than any drug, but maybe that's a biological thing. Anyway, the tune's short.

luka

probably just a dosage issue although having said that the person i do poetry with by the thames says all he gets is severe sensory distortion while his thoughts stay as banal as ever so i guess it varies from person to person.

CrowleyHead

I'm a control freak and have an addictive personality anyway so not fucking around with it is for the best but IDK I've never loved the kind of sensory reactions people have.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

I actually found this yesterday so I'm cheating. It's a weird song cos his vocals are mixed so faintly you have to strain a bit to hear him over the casio horn fanfare (which really reminds me of T.I. 'ASAP'). The beat is also slightly bizarre, I think it's the cymbal crash at the start of bars 1 2 and 3 of every whateveritis.

Also he's basically singing instead of rapping, and it's got some good examples of how Gucci rhymes words that wouldn't rhyme if I rapped them:

'Off white yayo' rhymes with 'digital scay-le... fish scale sending my pigeons by mail'

Actually reminds me of a Jeezy song more than anything.

Not on the level of Swing My Door's ultra-clipped mix ofc

continuum

smugpolice
Antony Ranz - We Can Jam

8 month old track from Antony Ranz (formerly DJ Random). Got those proper oldskool sounds at the start and bumping drums. When the bass comes in you are like “okay” but it’s as this track progresses that it truly shines. There’s a light icey digital synth noise that interacts with the bass in an interesting way. When we get to 2:52 the bass switches and that synth sound interacts with it in a really sick way. Get this track in the mix with an atmospheric synthy tune and you are laughing. Click the …more button on soundcloud to grab it as a free download.

sadmanbarty

oi luke

how about me (and whoever else is on here) post songs and you 'live-tweet' (live-post) your experience with them?

luka

thats a nice thought mate but i think im just a bit tired and at a comparatively low ebb.
i'll try and sleep. this is a good game though. we could target people. it didnt work with craner and the raps but anyone normal would be flattered. a round robin of challenges and gauntlets laid down.

luka

uh. i dont like this obviously but im not sure it fails on its own terms. i think it does what it sets out to do in that sense. but put it in its historical and cultural context and it instantly becomes offensive.
to me anyway.

i do think it's interesting and i do think it's sad, these inevitable retreats and acts of collective cultural cowardice. i do think music acts as a gauge of something real. i do think that space is opened up by the genuinely new. and that music like this is a refusal of the frontier, not just on the part of fatboy slim but on the part of the collective.

"Because he reaches the unknown! Since he cultivated his soul, rich already,
more than any man! He reaches the unknown, and when, bewildered, he ends by losing the intelligence of his visions, he has seen them. Let him die as he leaps through unheard of and unnamable things: other horrible workers will come; they will begin from the horizons where the
other collapsed!

To be continued in six minutes"

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

oh this is a massive disappointment. I didn't know you were a romantic counter revolutionary. :( my heart is broken forever. this is what happens when in trying to distance yourself from dubstep you end up getting embraced in fern cotton's arms. very bad. psychedelic maoist struggle session immediately. we just need a priestess.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the ultimate psychedelic experience. being fucked by sound. joy joy joy. makes me nostalgic. but then i get depressed coz this country is gravitating back to race based essentialism. and actually surprisingly by the most strident remainers.

luka

i dont think we are returning to or can return to race based essentialism. soon climate change will precipitate displacements of people on a scale never seen before and the British have made unconscious calculations based on that fact, and on the fact that we are an island and therefore have a different set of conditions to mainland europe.

i think all of contemporary politics is predicated on these largely unstated facts.

Last edited: