thirdform

pass the sick bucket
lydon was right: never trust a hippy. he forgot to add: because they are all aristocrats in commoner disguise.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
it's like fucking goa trance all over again. matthew's etonian acid casualty mates.

It sounds like you think I want to go back to the garden? I don't. Not exclusively at least. I want all angles to be explored. Infinite angles. Just with more conviction than is currently being executed. We can still do that. This is my essential point. There is a mental cage we need to break free of. That doesn't instantly equal positivity or utopianism. It's everything from there to the darkest depths of the soul. Played with fire in the belly.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
lydon was right: never trust a hippy. he forgot to add: because they are all aristocrats in commoner disguise.

Loool. Lydon of all people? Cmon man. Guy is the biggest phoney going. Having said that, even though I'm not a hippy, I am a scouser. So maybe your post still indirectly applies.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Loool. Lydon of all people? Cmon man. Guy is the biggest phoney going. Having said that, even though I'm not a hippy, I am a scouser. So maybe your post still indirectly applies.

Nah im just worried about you fetishising the student who sits at the hodga's foot learning the ney for 20 years. that music is not the music of the uncouth. we are the uncouth. fertive hands in back alleys.

Like, it's all very well talking about spirituality and that, but it's all predicated on what you bring to the table. this is why i don't have truck with unorganised religion in these sorts of discussions. it's like ok but you've stretched the definition of religion so far that it doesn't cary any conversational validity. for better or worse we need to try and find a non-religious cosmic language. Xenakis tried to do this.

Xenakis himself was a profoundly spiritual man but not in the sense of god as interpreted in feudalism.

Last edited:

sadmanbarty

Something about the staccato - the trap hi hat, the drill flow, the juke EVERYTHING

Nervous energy, attention spans atomised, everything being turned into bits and bytes

Maybe just reflective of what computers do to music and happen also to do to consciousness. Turn it into components, easily looped and sped up and fucked with.

ad lib rap too.

staccato has no corresponding emotion. it's not evocative of any feelings. can only be related to physically or in terms of information.

can't say the same for harmonies, melodies or even lots of timbres (a synth pad's warmth is nurturing and cocooning for example)

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Nah im just worried about you fetishising the student who sits at the hodga's foot learning the ney for 20 years. that music is not the music of the uncouth. we are the uncouth. fertive hands in back alleys.

Like, it's all very well talking about spirituality and that, but it's all predicated on what you bring to the table. this is why i don't have truck with unorganised religion in these sorts of discussions. it's like ok but you've stretched the definition of religion so far that it doesn't cary any conversational validity. for better or worse we need to try and find a non-religious cosmic language. Xenakis tried to do this.

Xenakis himself was a profoundly spiritual man but not in the sense of god as interpreted in feudalism.

Language is the cage. It's how our wires get crossed even when we're aiming at the same target. I like that last sentence a lot. Above all I'd just like for things to be a bit less fucking lame. Maybe a danceable Xenakis is the answer.

sadmanbarty

music's increased rhythm-centricness killed soulfulness.

funk- it's no coincidence soul stopped being called soul when it became rhythmic.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

funk- it's no coincidence soul stopped being called soul when it became rhythmic.

There's plenty of soul well up into the 90s imo. Plenty of dance music. And D'angelo's Voodoo was Jan 2000. That album stands up next to what inspired it aside from the tracks with methodman on em. Shame about the follow up LP

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Language is the cage. It's how our wires get crossed even when we're aiming at the same target.

Words are so loaded. We've been tribalized and we adhere to their meanings without questioning whether they actually mean that exact thing to us. I don't think anything I said in this thread is remotely hippyish fwiw. And this is the cage. Part of it at least.

Like Luka's insta-reaction to The Depths thread. Couldn't get past the word deep for quite a few pages. But in the end here we are in this thread with a slight reframing and it's all systems go. *shrug*

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Interestingly, this has a lot to do with the masculine jerkiness of the drum kit and how it is so monotextural, and the drum machines/software patches that were modeled on drum kits later.

If you tried to play santoor melodies over a teental tabla beat on a drum kit it would sound all off. I'm not sure what the correct musicological term is here.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
patty' got me listening to classical turkish oud and its fuckin with my emotional residues and not in a good way. i actually want to go and burn down all kfc's with the pkk gang but they don't wanna get arrested. sometimes the carnal obliteration is imperative. this is not the spirituality that the beys who wrote these compositions would approve of. even though they would scorn kfc they would still have respect for the inviolable rights of property.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
A document of 3 people having fun

Sly was for my money one of the soulfullest cats ever. Ambassador for both sides of the coin. Clinton pretty much right there next to him. And Mojo sounds like he was a bad dude too. Could listen to these three talking for hours.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
half of my mates don't even know who those three are. I'm not saying this is good, in fact it isn't. but we gotta connect with the youth somehow. lay the foundations. set off an explosion. we have to out revolutionise the beatles. we need to make them look like the 18th century. bring back the guillotine!

luka

Lads im drunk and someone give me some speed. We all know the feeling yes patty is very 90s but hes not the enemy we know where he's coming from even if the language is jarring lets learn to communicate this is ridiculous