wot childrens books still haunt your imagination

luka

the magic box-john mansfield
the one by the man who did wild things thats not wild things, its about a boy who falls into a mixing bowl or something.

PeteUM

It's all grist
the magic box-john mansfield
the one by the man who did wild things thats not wild things, its about a boy who falls into a mixing bowl or something.

Came here to put that when I saw the thread title. Mickey In The Night Kitchen, I think. His suit of dough!

DannyL

Wild Horses
I have a deep abiding love for Ursula's Le Guin's The Wizrd of Earthsea. Great book, which is a comfort read for me - I probably read it about once a year.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
I was the same with the earthsea books by ursula le guin. They seemed so vivid and cool. And the dark is rising trilogy by susan hill..

I loved sendak's monsters, used to spend hours tracing them and learning to draw them. They were in my dreams and nightmares long into my teens..

The wolf in the neverending story, the bit in the swamp of despair..

bobbin

What
from when i was very young:

burglar bill. real life innit, the most haunting thing of all? ;)

the other janet and alan alberg one with the skeletons, i think there was something about the way they used language that imprinted it on you.

a book about the apollo 11 moon mission that i made my mum read to me over and over again apparently, before i could read it myself.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I have a deep abiding love for Ursula's Le Guin's The Wizrd of Earthsea. Great book, which is a comfort read for me - I probably read it about once a year.

Yes, and it's beautifully written :)

Have you read the later books? (starting with Tehanu) — in which she reconfigures the magical element from a sort of feminist viewpoint, essentially portraying "men's magic" as a mistake. It's well done, but you have to read them twice to appreciate it. The first time through you don't get where the story is going (because it's not going where you expect/want it to go).

the phantom tollbooth-norman juster

One of my all-time favourite books :)

And the dark is rising trilogy by susan hill..

by Susan Cooper — and there are five books ;)

I guess The Dark is Rising itself is the best, though The Grey King is also very good, and I have a certain fondness for Greenwitch.

Others...

Richard Adams - Watership Down
Rosemary Sutcliff's Roman Britain books: The Eagle of the Ninth, The Lantern Bearers, etc
some of Robert Westall's supernatural books: The Wind Eye, The Devil on the Road
John Christopher's Prince in Waiting trilogy

Patrick Ness's Chaos Walking trilogy is also very good — but those are recent, so I can't say they "still haunt my imagination" or anything.

Last edited:

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
my favourite kids book involved a kid who looks through a magic telescope and ends up in a strange, frankly psychedelic world full of weird logic, some kind of Captain America type superhero and much oddness. Wish to fuck I could remember the name..

loved all the Roald Dahl books too..

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Big yes to watership down, only read it after watching the cartoon tho.
And yes, susan cooper :] susan hill wrote woman in black *demonic-laughter*

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Not a book, but I saw The Beast With Five Fingers

when I was must have been 7 - I liked black and white films. I still dunno how I ended up being allowed to watch it but it gave me nightmares for fucking years afterwards.