hair loss

rubberdingyrapids

i think i might be thinning out a tiny bit on my crown. i prob know the answer but i have to ask - does anything work to curb it? (herb/vit supplements etc) or should i just forget addressing the apparently fatal lack of zinc and omega 3 in my diet and shave it all off? im also unsure why god felt the need to make testosterone and hair a trade off for men.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
There are two things that are known to work and approved by the FDA:
Minoxidil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoxidil (mostly known as Regaine in UK) and
Finasteride http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finasteride

yeah - getting a bit thin myself and I've just sort of accepted it (runs in the family). This until a (totally bald) mate told me that there are things that do work, but you have to keep in taking these things or your hair will go (which it of course might do anyway, but those numbers on wikipedia are impressive if you just want to stop hairloss).

Edit: oh dear - "Propecia [finasteride] has sexual side effects associated to it such as less desire for sex, difficulty in achieving an erection, and a decrease in the amount of semen"
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Propecia_or_Rogaine_better

might have two wait two years for this:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...ss-cure-could-be-on-shelves-in-two-years.html

Last edited:

Leo

i've still got a full head (albeit gray) on top but the hairline has receded a bit over the years. either that or my forehead has grown, not sure. ;)

guys are lucky nowadays, it's so common/acceptable (fashionable, even) to buzz or shave your head instead of the horrible bald spot on top or dreaded comb over of the past. although some white guys have ugly heads when shaved, it must be said.

rubberdingyrapids

my thinning has more or less stabilised.
i hope.
not exactly ideal though, has to be said.
all these supplements/treatments look tempting but im sceptical.
OTOH i dont think the shaved head would look right on me.
theres a guy at work who i think has a bald crown and has resorted to basically shaving it all off except the very front/top.

luka

I've been bald basically since forever. I didn't really care. I look fine with no hair. First shaved it off in my early 20s.

john eden

male pale and stale
I'm surprised how little I care about hair loss. It was always a big thing when I was a kid with anxiety adverts about it.

Seems less of a taboo now.

I need to have a rethink in the next couple of years and maybe go for the crop...

Perhaps I will do a ritual head shave on Walpurgisnight like Anton LaVey or something.

john eden

male pale and stale
When was the last time you saw someone wearing a hairpiece, or even a proper Scargill combover? They're as rare as ashtrays these days.

Yeah exactly, it's just something people laugh at in old photos these days, I think?

jorge

this has been on my mind alot recently even though I'm at the early stages. After reading quite a few accounts Ive come to the conclusion to let nature take its toll and to try to be as healthy as possible, as alll the current treatments have side effects that im not up for. Best to get over it and shave your head (which i just did this morning and it feels great)

Its a bit of a circular problem; baldness causes anxiety because you think you will look unattractive but really its the lack of confidence and anxiety that will make you unattractive. Lots of women like bald men, not alot of women like anxious men with no confidence, regardless of whats on their head

sufi

lala
When was the last time you saw someone wearing a hairpiece, or even a proper Scargill combover? They're as rare as ashtrays these days.
Yeah exactly, it's just something people laugh at in old photos these days, I think?
Wait till Hipsters sport that look again. There's much potential in it :cool:
You all are rather behind the curve.

This occurred last October, Crowleyhead backed me up...
i swear that i saw an IRONIC COMB-OVER the other day.

I know it was hipster business, as the bald spot crowned a sturdily bearded face, and crucially, the t-shirt was tight and configured to reveal an OCTOPUS SHOULDER TATTOO (should be on hipster thread?)
be afraid

rubberdingyrapids

i googled the ingredient in that times article on hair loss and found some suggestions for things like grape extract capsules and cod liver oil. not sure how effective they will be but im going to try it. i also read some stuff about things like potassium helping so i found some vitamin supplements that have it in higher levels.